Sign in to follow this  
Shakandara

The passing of Gary Gygax

As I just saw posted on the Gen Con forums, a bit of news to spread...

Per Gary's family, please do not send condolances to Gary's e-mail address, they will need this free in the coming weeks to sort out his affairs. A special e-mail address for this purpose has been set up. The email address to send any personal messages to the family is: [email protected]

So now I've had a little time to process this after starting the thread. Tomorrow is my weekly D&D campaign session. The game has run off and on in one form or another for over 20 years now, with the current group of players being together for about 4 and a half years of that. I can't imagine all the good, life-long friends that would not be a part of my life if I hadn't found gaming all those years ago, and Gary's creative vision is responsible in no small part for that.

So tomorrow, after our group partakes of another meal together but before we begin our session, we will raise our glasses (with our standard post-Con, hanging-out-at-the-bar-and-chatting drink, Colorado Bulldogs), and toast to the passing of a gaming legend.

~v

Just one more of the legion of people who owe much of their life's enjoyment to Gary. Started playing D&D at age 6, really can't imagine what I'd be doing if not for a lifetime of gaming.

I stumbled on the board he frequented the other day and it was really neat to see him posting just like everyone else. Just a guy who loved gaming.

You know, I've had friends die, and I didn't shed a tear.

I've been to the funerals of cousins and uncles, and didn't shed a tear.

I sat for six hours in a hospital room watching my mother slowly fade away, and didn't shed a tear.

Today, I cried a little.

Really sad to hear for us, but I should imagine he got one heck of a welcome at the big game table in the sky.

I got to say I'm shocked. Kind of makes me feel a bit old.

Not to be a downer on gamers, but a lot of them, us.. (ME) were not the most social youth. If I were young today I prolly would not get out of the house and be on line all the time or on the xbox or some such, but back then.. Well wear a shirt with a dragon on it to school and then you are meeting the other gamers and thats where most of my social life came from.

The man gave me and a lot of other people a chance to really get to experience things that we never would have. Sure it's not the same as real life and it's just a game, but when you're young you can still get that feeling of having gotten to be a hero, saving the day, slaying the monster, or even being the bad guy. Around where I grew up there just was not much to do for young people.

I can still sit around with my same friends 20+ years later an we still talk about some of those adventures. Playing your D&D character may just be a fun after noon but it can also help build confidence, expand your vocabulary, help your reading skills, and social skills. I may not have grown up the most well adjusted, brightest or best, but I think I turned out okay.

We caught a lot of crap back then too around here for playing a game people felt or thought was satanic or some such, but we stuck with it. Gary was an awsome guy, part of my gaming group used to be in his group and they talk about him all the time with nothing but good stuff to say. I only got to see him a very little but still.

I've lost very few people that have been close to me so I can't really pretend to imagine how it is for his family, but I would like to believe that somehow knowing so many people out there thought so much of the man helps in some way.

I think my beard is starting to turn gray now.

It was a tough day in Wisconsin; Gary Gygax passing and Brett Favre retiring. I had to pull out all my original D&D books last night to flip through the memories of 30 years ago. The very battered books from the white box, the equally battered copies of Greyhawk, Blackmoor and Deities and Demigods. Moved forward to all the 1st edition AD&D books and the notes made in the margins, the stack of Dragons (I bought my first one #11 right off the shelf and later that year managed to get some of the earlier issues at the Dungeon in Lake Geneva at my first Gencon when I was 16. A very sad day, but lots of good memories.

Real shame to hear about his passing, His books and work on D&D got me started many years ago into RP games. Still wish I had all those those old origonal hard bound AD&D books and the boxed sets for Basic and Expert rules along with all the old adventure moduals since my son is now into playing as well.

Allway thought he got the smelly end of the stick from TSR after the split from them.

RIP Bro :down: