Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Chronoscope Models We'd Like to See

I'm with Lars on this one. I don't agree that fiddily bits make a model better. They just make them more cluttered and they take longer to paint. I especially hate overly fussy rank and file. When It comes to proportions yes it's nice to have them as good as you can get them but some of Reapers stuff is pretty off as well. Even current stuff. In fact most of it is off when it comes to realistic proportion but not as bas a some of the lower quality lines.

When you place Artizan, Copplestone, Pulp, and some of the other nicer historic adventure lines next to a good Reaper mini yes you can see that the Reapers tend to be crisper, more detailed, and more dynamic but they all look rather the same on the table top in play. In fact the simpler models can be painted in such a way that on the table they almost look better and you can paint them in half the time or less. Sure the Reapers look better blown up 5x their size when they have been painted by skilled painters with 20+ hour paintjobs but on the tabletop with similar paintjobs they all look pretty much the same. I don't press my face down to the game surface to get an eye to eye look at my minis so the fact that one companies minis have more detail than others doesn't bother me.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing some nice quasi historic characters from this line sculpted by Reapers great sculptors but I hope they can keep the detail level more on the realistic side and not go OTT like they do with fantasy. I'm already using a lot of reaper figs in my Pulp games because they are a great choice for creatures and exotic characters and I don't mind the time it takes to paint them up for special use or the somewhat higher cost. For chronoscope I'd much rather Reaper stick to what they are good at. High quality character sculpts. They should leave the rank and file to the companies that are good at that.

I gotta say this though. One thing I would love to see is some simpler but nicely sculpted fantasy figs. There doesn't seem to be an Artizan/Copplestone/Pulp type fantasy line out there these days. Really good 4 star minis that are painter/gamer friendly. Hasstlefree and Heresy fantasy figs come close but their lines are small and up to the whim on the sculptor and they are harder to get in the US.

I'd still like to see some people who are dressed normally: i.e. men and women who are wearing every-day clothes.

And some people who are suitable for Traveller/Star Wars too.

I think there a great start, while I also look forward to more Star Wars or Traveller type figures, I see great modeling potential in most of the 7 new minis previewed. I have this disease, I always look at a fig and see what I can change and what parts I can steal from it, I guess, I played 40k to long and have the modeling bug. Now that is not everyone forte, but I see a little green stuff here and there and some file work and bam, I get a new figure.

For an example of just how twisted I am, the cowgirl really won't fit in my Traveller game, but thin down the legs a little by filing down the chaps with a dremel and Flexie sander, and smooth it out with Green Stuff. Give her some calf high boots, and she's good to go. Guns are really and easy swap, I'm sure Reaper will do some extra weapons soon, and as for the hip holsters there fine as is. A little work and you have a, Traveller, or Serenity adventurer ready for paint.

So, do I have the skill to pull off this transformation? I hope so, but that's part of the fun. That being said, would I rather by "Traveller" figs straight out of the package, sure, but then I'd buy two or three and still do the same. I told you I'm sick, lol.

Keep up the work Reaper, you do your part and I will do mine, that is buying miniatures.

There are plans in the works for weapons packs/gear packs to adapt the figures to time periods other than the ones they are already in.

More info on that when they come in, Since it's hard to be specific when the artists are free to be creative.

If Reaper is still trolling for ideas, I'd like to see Lovecraftian monsters like shoggoths or mi-go (these could also work in fantasy games). I think gray aliens would be cool as well.

There are plans in the works for weapons packs/gear packs to adapt the figures to time periods other than the ones they are already in.

More info on that when they come in, Since it's hard to be specific when the artists are free to be creative.

You mean you don't *tell* them when to be creative? Sheesh! ::D:

I'm not much into sci-fi, but will definately get the cowgirl, Dodge and the Colonel. The multiple heads option is very cool, I'll probably buy 4 or 5 just to make all the varients.

I agree with those that want more detailed figures. They don't have to be overly busy, but great detail in what is there. Reaper minis for the past several years have had a pretty distinct look, and it seems to have carried over into Chronoscope, which to me is a good thing.

I hope that they do a lot of cowboys in this first series. I'd actually like to see the cowboys look like famous movie characters, which Andreas has had great success with at 54mm, but they could be like Dodge with addition parts to make them a generic cowboy as well.

A few ideas:

Blondie(Good/Bad/Ugly)

Preacher(Pale Rider)

Moody(Unforgiven)

The Man with no name(High Plains Drifter)

Josie Wales

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Shane

Rooster(True Grit)

Ethan(Searchers)

Rifleman

Lone Ranger

Ride the High Country(Steve and Gil)

Will Penny

Nevada Smith

Magnificent Seven

My Darling Clemintine(Wyatt Earp)

High Noon(Will Kane)

Tombstone

The Gunfighter(Ringo)

Lonely and the Brave(Jack Burns)

Siverado(Paden, Emmett, Mal Jake)

Jeramiah Johnson

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance(Tom)

Winchester 73 (Lin)

Fastest Gun Alive(George)

Shootist(Books)

Gunsmoke(Marshall Dillon, Festus)

Have Gun Will Travel(Paladin)

Conagher

So, I've seen too many cowboy movies :unsure:

So, I've seen too many cowboy movies :unsure:

No we need a good western line in the U.S. Historic Legends like the members of the James/Younger, Billy the Kid, The Texas Rangers ect..... would all be good to see as well.

Perhaps we should start a "Chronoscope Figures You Would Like to See" thread.

Beyond cowboys there are Indians.

African pygmies or Zulus to go with my handful of DHL Malapango models.

African Animals, animals in general.

Regular human Axis WWII troops that match the RotD characters

Kung Fu Theater - Guys like the blind masters from Kung Fu, and MadTV, the Master of the Flying Guillotine, one armed boxer, the guys from Mortal Combat

Star Wars inspired stuff especially Jedis, Sand People, Jawas, Wookies

Regular human zombie fighters

Some historically correct gladiators

Spartans

As I mentioned in the other thread I think wild west and legendary wild west figures are really needed.

The James/Gang, The Earp Brothers and Doc Holiday, Some Banditos, Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, Some Texas Rangers, Apache, Comanche, other native americans, Native American and other wild west creatures and monsters, George Armstrong Custer and Lakota personalaties. (most of these need mounted versions as well.)

Poncho Villia and "Black Jack" Pershing, Some of Pershing's men, Mexican Fedrals, and Revolutionaries.

Aviators. You can never have too many both military and civilian.

Female Pulp heros and to a lesser extent males. (mostly becase there are a lot of Pulp males out there already)

Exotic animals from around the world. Lions, tigers, bears, oh my...... especially the oh my and come to think of it I don't know of any really good tigers out at the moment in fact big cats other than Lions are hard to find. American Mountian lions would also be good for any era set in the western U.S. or perhaps a generic panther type that could be painted as one. Would be cool to see big cats really bristled up and ready to attack rather than in National Geographic shots taken from a safe distance with a really long lense. Baboons and chimps in attack posture as well since they are both more dangerous than gorillias which you can find anywhere. An attacking moose (not kidding).

Legendary monsters from around the world especially post ancient/medieval. Lost World type ect....

Pulp Cultist.

Cold War spies and Cold War pulp type characters. (very little spy vs. spy stuff out there right now)

Vampires in Victorian-Modern era dress.

Anything Sci-fi you can do without getting sued.

Modern and Near future.

Everytime I'm at the local mall, I keep seeing various people (usually teenagers) in outfits that cause me to say to myself "you know, that person would make a good mini sculpt."

I'd say make Talin and sculptors go hang out at a busy mall food court or a theme park for a few hours to people watch and get some inspiration.

Some of the ideas I've seen are:

- the mascot (IE, Mickey Mouse type character costumes) Obviously, you couldn't use the iconic ones, but a lot of businesses/high schools have generic ones

- the food court employee

- the UPS/Fedex delivery driver

- the mall security guard (on a Segway?)

- the teenage mall rat

- angry mom with stroller

I had mentioned this in the fantasy thread, but it is probably more appropriate here.

I've always wanted to make a little Sumo Wrestling ring, but no one makes the wrestlers. I think there is one or two out there but they don't match. Hasslefree makes a pretty nice one, but others like from Amazon are horrid little things.

It would be nice to see some in Reaper style, the skinny 200 pounders and big 400 pound giants. Maybe make one of the 200 pounders and one of the 400 pounders, but make both with three heads and four arms so they could be converted 10 or 12 different versions.

An attacking moose (not kidding).

I would like to see the generic Moose that someone sculpted a few years ago released.

It was cast by Reaper...

Edited by Dragon Snack