Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Craft paint in enamels??

Hey guys

went to Wallyworld today & seen these paints there, they were the craft barrel kind but instead of water based acrylic they were enamels. Mainly for oven baking I guess. Anyone know what makes they special over the regular water based acrylics (like Reaper, Vallejo etc etc)

I know enamel is antehr type of paint (use it all the time in my model cars stuff), this one just threw me off.

later

Randy M

Well, unless they specified "water-based" then you'd need thinner and turpentine to clean your brushes and thin the paint. Think Testors model car paint. Those are enamels.

Were these by any chance what are known as "Outdoor gloss?"

The Michaels I work at Part-time has a section of Apple Barrel paints known as Outdoor gloss which have some variety of a water base enamel to them because you can use them on glass as long as you bake it afterwards.

oh and they tend to take about 4+ hours to dry depending on coat thickness, and need 2 or more coats because they tend to be fairly thin colour wise, though not viscosity (will probably look like you used a concentrated ink wash on the first coat)

hate them personally (due to the above), acryllics have pretty much taken over as a modelling paint due to ease of use and the fact that water is cheaper/safer/less smelly than turpentine. and enamel is more likely to mess up your brushes if you dont clean them properly than acryllics