Making of the awesome HBO promo

chesme

Being a child of the '80s, I grew up on some odd tv.... my babysitters were Showtime, Nickelodeon/Nick at Night, MTV and of course, HBO. I have absolutly fond memories of sitting in front of the tube with anticipation for new shows of Fraggle Rock, It's Garry Shandling's Show, Tales from the Crypt and Not Necessarily the News (yes, I was old for my age) to name a few. Oh, and of course the movies! But there is one promo from HBO that would inevitably play between all of these that I remember just as fondly... one promo that was so awesome, I was always overjoyed to see it each and every time. In this promo, they had a camera swoop through a large, highly detailed, hand made miniature city. Then, the camera shoots into the sky to meet a floating HBO logo...sounds silly on paper, but it was so neat to see in the early '80s and it made me interested in miniature building and FX. For anyone else that remembers this interesting bit of work, I share this "behind the scenes" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Et_LsxlX8Y

Yes, I might be silly to think of this bit of marketing as a fond memory, but I even remember the music score that played during the short. My mother and I use to sing together "HBO!" along with the music every time. That was crazy bonding/family time in the 80s.

Edited by chesme

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that's cool. I always liked the HBO intros also... Now I feel really old though. The idea that someone hand made a brass "HBO" sign 25 years ago that someone could now make on a computer is 15 minutes is a little disturbing. I especially like, "look at the amazing computer controlled camera effects that we're capable of now! *tap, tap, tap*" Pretty classic.

Worst b-movies ever and you missed out on Megaforce?

What can I say, there's lots of b-movies out there and if it wasn't aired on one of the weekends I was at my Mom's then I missed it. Plus there was all the time spent at my friends exploring the cave system near the Keep on the Borderlands and blowing up Battlemechs.

Needs more CAVs though
I was thinking the same thing.

B-Movies---USA UPppp All night (with Rhonda Shear & said like her), fun memories of watching those corny shows.

Always did like the HBO intros, Starz is similar but doesn't compare to the old HBO ones thou.

funny how things like this were really cool as a kid

RM