Question about Counter Spell

OK, a Mage is targeted/within AOE of 2 spells cast from the same troop and elects to Counter Spell using SA: Defensive Magic.

The question is will the Counter affect both spells or only one? And would you need to roll for the effectiveness of the Counter against each spell or not?

My thought is that the Counter Spell effects both spells, but the Defensive caster needs to roll the success of the counter vs. each spell in turn. Am I correct?

Cheers,

Brian

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Counter Spell

Casting Grade: Mage 2

Availability: Any

Type: Non-Attack

Point Cost: 10

Range: 6”

Area of Effect: Special

# Models Affected: Special

Damage: None

LOS: No

Cast Defensively: Yes

Notes: This spell is cast in an attempt to

disrupt an enemy’s Attack spell that has been

cast against you or at a target within 6” of

you. If Counter Spell is cast successfully, the

enemy casting Model receives a -6 to its

Casting Roll. In cases where multiple Models

are affected by the Attack spell, the -6 penalty

applies to all Casting Rolls. Cannot Counter

Non-Attack Spells."

I'm quoting the spell just so what we're talking about is right here. This is the Counter Spell from Rage Chronicles '07 and it isn't going to be changed in '08

Now to actually try and offer some help :)

Just as a model who is being attacked by 3 or 4 different models gets only a single defensive strike, the mage only gets a single Defensive spell.

Since the description of Counter Spell refers to the spell it is being cast against singularly, I am sure that only one of the AoE spells would be affected. You would have to roll a CP check of 10 or higher to counter the spell and force a -6 on your opponent.

It would be a situational modifier, which stacks.

Although I can really only think of a few situations where you would need both. Even with a jacked up Moandain, Ashkrypt or Witch Queen, that would be an CP 11 or 12. Dropping those to 5 or 6 means their spells now will likely only have a 50% chance of working at best, and that's just an MD 10. In RC2007, there are 302 models with an MD > 10 out of 400 odd models.

Which just makes me not wait for the RC2008 Data Card search to be made available...

OK, a Mage is targeted/within AOE of 2 spells cast from the same troop and elects to Counter Spell using SA: Defensive Magic.

The question is will the Counter affect both spells or only one? And would you need to roll for the effectiveness of the Counter against each spell or not?

My thought is that the Counter Spell effects both spells, but the Defensive caster needs to roll the success of the counter vs. each spell in turn. Am I correct?

A couple of points to remember. A single mage would only be able to cast one counter spell, per ACTIVATION.

The counter would only be good against a single spell if both were cast on the same activation. But, the attacking mages also all have to declare all of their spells before a single dice is rolled. So, that countering mage has the choice as to which spell he wil be trying to counter.