Sign in to follow this  
Caius

Kender miniatures

Ok, now that it looks like we are going to have a third edition Dragonlance setting, I suspect I am going to need some Kender figures.  I think Ral Partha may have made some a decade ago, but I'm also certain that Iron Winds does not have the rights to those.

Anyone have any leads?

Any chance Reaper will make us something suitible? Can't call them  Kender of course, but very short elves with topknots? Yeah that would do it.  I could fashon a hoopack out of something.

-Caius

Try e-bay. Some come up there every now and then. That where I got my two. Plus you can keep an eye out for the Dragonlance box set or just Tasslehoff. Sometimes people break the boxes up and sell the peices inside seperately.

Lady Tam

Take a skinny halfling or a slim 15mm figure.  Inspire fear in those around you.  :D

I made one for a friend out of the wotc halfling monk figure.  I cut the blade off the sickle and puttied up a sling of sorts.  Broke off his ponytail and glued it to the top of his head as a topknot.  Painted it up gaudy, and yes, the stripes and colors and all were how the character was described.

It was a lot of fun!

Kyle.jpg

Well RP made 4 for TSR back when they did 'Official AD&D figures'.

1). Tasselhoff: old model, boxed set

2). Tasselhoff: new model, blister pack

3&4). Male and female in blister pack

Lady Tam is right about Ebay as a good source but I'm almost afraid of what you may end up paying for them.

The two other routes that I see:

1). Use halflings even if they're much chunker than most kender. If you want to get fancy you can use putty to put shoes on their feet and modify their weapons to hoopaks. 'Afflicted' kender I've seen described as using human weapons so this is up to you. Topknots are optional since all kender don't have them.

2). Grab some old RP or Grendier elves from Dark Ages or Ironwind. With the explosion in the size of figures they're about kender size these days. Modify like a halfling.

Ok, enough rambling- maybe some of this will be of use  :D

Well RP made 4 for TSR back when they did 'Official AD&D figures'.

1). Tasselhoff: old model, boxed set

2). Tasselhoff: new model, blister pack

3&4). Male and female in blister pack

Lady Tam is right about Ebay as a good source but I'm almost afraid of what you may end up paying for them.

The two other routes that I see:

*snip*

2). Grab some old RP or Grendier elves from Dark Ages or Ironwind. With the explosion in the size of figures they're about kender size these days. Modify like a halfling.

Hmnn, I didn't know about the male and female in the blister pack.

The Ironwind Parthas might be the better bet. RP tended to run a bit shorter than Grenadier.  Not that I'd object to Reaper putiing out an "adolescent elf" figure.  Maybee with a small dagger.

-Caius

Yeah RP did a set of male and female Kender 'rogues' in a blister pack with their other 'Official AD&D Miniatures' adventurer sets- male and female human paladin, male and female dwarven fighters, etc, etc, etc. Interesting to note that the kender and gnome from these packs were the only female characters of these two races I know of...

A hoopak is one weapon/tool prefered by Kender. It's sorta like a staff sling. It consists of a wooden staff with a Y-shaped fork at the top. Stretched across the fork there is a band of elastic catgut with a leather pocket in the centre, sorta like a slingshot.

It can be used as:

1). A walking stick.

2). A staff in combat.

3). The bottum end can be planted in the ground, a rock inserted in the pocket and pulled back and fired like a catapult.

4). Rock inserted in the pocket and whirled around to toss the rock.

5). Whirled around the head to make a roaring noise to scare cowardly monsters.

6). Held over the head with the pocket used to grab fruit off trees the Kender can not normally reach.

7). And many more uses!!!

Oddly the old DL manual described a number of other Kender weapons as well, all of them with a combination tool, musical use as well as the combat one.

OK, well, Ironwind can't make them due to the WotC tactic of ripping up the contract to make licensed items. However, if someone is interested, I happen to have the blisterpack Tasselhoff that I'd be happy to sell (got it for a client, who then cancelled teh order). It's started, but can be stripped in a matter of minutes. Just drop me a message here on the message board. I also have a bunch of RP minis doen by Jim Johnson up for grabs (if no one asks for them as-is, I'll finish them and send 'em off on eBay), and I have the anniversary evil hero (mounted and on foot), which was just a Tom Meier sculpting of Frank Frazetta's "Death Dealer" (originally marketed in 1976). This piece is still in the blister from when I bought it back in the early '90's. So, drop me a message if anyone wants stuff before it goes on the block. I have some Battletech mechs and vehicles too, so just ask.