Sign in to follow this  
spiritual_exorcist

2nd Warlord

I know we've discussed the issue of what point army build should offer up the possibility of allowing a second Warlord to be taken. But given the changes that have occurred I'd like to hear suggestions on the topic again.

On one side we have people who complain 'The Game isn't called Non-Unique Captain', and love that we are forced into taking a Warlord at 1501. On the other hand, there are people who, like myself, believe a Warlord shouldn't be compulsory in a skirmish level game, seeing as how we are dealing with Taltos, an area with thousands of soldiers running around, it seems goofy to visualize Warlord models being present routinely in such small engagements. I've got nothing against Warlords, my problem with them prior to RC07 was they were not cost effective, and that if they were made cost effective there would be no reason to force people into taking them, they'd simply be worth taking. I think RC07 did tons for melee warlords, and RC08 does the same for casters and ranged warlords, so I still see the 1501 mandatory inclusion as somewhat silly, but I'll live with it and I don't mind all that much (i'm used to it now).

Given that we have the 1501 rule in place, and that every time 25-30 models per side battle we see Warlords on the board, why is it that we don't have a rule in place for additional Warlords to be taken in very high point games? We know many of these Warlords are directly working together so why can we never have two of these behemoths on the field together?

If you were to introduce a house rule at what point would you allow 2 Warlords int he same army build? 3000? 5000?

I have real doubts about multiple Warlords ruining the game balance, as putting most of your eggs into very few baskets can be a real hindrance at times in this game.

If I wanted to play a game with two warlords per side I think I'd just arrange with my opponent that we both brought two 1501 point armies. The initiative system handles this just fine, one player can be the commander of two armies at once if they're allied.

I'd give the option, but not the requirement to take a 2nd warlord at 3001+ points. That gives people the ability to take the 1 warlord/1500 just like the base rule, but doesn't force them to take a 2nd warlord if they'd like to spread the points around more.

If I wanted to play a game with two warlords per side I think I'd just arrange with my opponent that we both brought two 1501 point armies. The initiative system handles this just fine, one player can be the commander of two armies at once if they're allied.

That isn't a terrible idea, but it adds a bit to the book keeping, meaning now I have to not only identify between troops (which can occassionally be a problem for some people if not properly marked) but between entirely different armies. It is a good quick fix idea though.

That isn't a terrible idea, but it adds a bit to the book keeping, meaning now I have to not only identify between troops (which can occassionally be a problem for some people if not properly marked) but between entirely different armies. It is a good quick fix idea though.

If properly identified by troop and army -- flags, paint schemes, etc. -- could the two armies be different sublists? For example, in theory I have enough models to pull together 1501+ in both Necropolis default and Crypt Legion, without overlapping proxies. Again, you're right, the bookkeeping could be a pain, but with an agreeable opponent it's a tempting idea. Can you see any major reason why this couldn't work?

You would probably have to arrive at an agreement before you play as to how activations will be handled.

Will you pool all of your factions' activations into one group, or will you have different activation tokens for each of your two armies?

If in the course of the game, models of one army should wish to be absorbed into a troop of another army of the same faction, will that be allowed? And if the absorbed models invalidate the FA of the army they were absorbed into, but the absorbed models are later killed or otherwise removed from the game, will the latter-mentioned army regain its FA?

No, I think it would work, I would treat them as entirely different armies (no absorbing of models from one into another etc) I would have totally different activations for each army. Faction abilities would be toughest.

Things like Bane and Mercy are easy and would apply only to the models of those factions/sub-factions, things like Sokar is Near or Fear of Undeath are tougher (although i think it has been made clear that these are blanket effects. Could I use a Necromantic surge to heal models from a Default sub-list? You'd have to lay the groundrules.

yeah I'd treat them as entirely independent armies, that are allied. The initiative system handles more than two armies nicely. The only thing the two armies would share is victory points.

I like the idea of two 1501 point armies and I have plaid games like that already. Interestingly, if the two armies use different activation cards then one of the allied armies can get shafted while the other allied army gets good activations. It can change the feel of the game.