Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Sealing Metallics

Thats cool that you took the time to do that Joe...this is what I like about forums because there are so many people with so many ideas or solutions to a problem that you are bound to find something that works for you! My solution to a problem may not work for you and vise versa....but it will work for someone! If anyone else has done any tests or discovered something that works really well...please share, we can only benefit from it! ::):

Thats cool that you took the time to do that Joe...this is what I like about forums because there are so many people with so many ideas or solutions to a problem that you are bound to find something that works for you! My solution to a problem may not work for you and vise versa....but it will work for someone! If anyone else has done any tests or discovered something that works really well...please share, we can only benefit from it! ::):
Agreed! Joe's doing these new tests goes above and beyond. You don't often see that kind of support on other forums.

This Testors Model Master's Non-Buffing Metallizer Sealer (MMNBMS?) sounds like something that would definitely be worth trying out. Actually, I've gotten several great suggestions from this thread so far, and more ideas for combining them keep popping to mind. I definitely see some experimentation in my nearish future...

Joe, can you tell us a bit more about this stuff? ie. Does it actually have metal flake in it? Do you need an airbrush to use it? - A brief web search on the product name yielded confusion as to whether people were talking about this sealer or the actual MMNBM paint... Need any special goo to clean up after? Anything else I/we should know before running out to buy some? Hopefully it'll be easy to find and not too pricey...

Thanks again everyone, and do keep those great ideas coming! I think this is one of, if not the, first of my threads to earn the red "hot topic" icon, so hopefully that means I'm not the only one who's finding it useful...

Kang

Joe, can you tell us a bit more about this stuff? ie. Does it actually have metal flake in it? Do you need an airbrush to use it? - A brief web search on the product name yielded confusion as to whether people were talking about this sealer or the actual MMNBM paint... Need any special goo to clean up after? Anything else I/we should know before running out to buy some? Hopefully it'll be easy to find and not too pricey...

Don't have too much time to expound on the details right now - trying to get shipments out before Easter Weekend slump...

Metalizer Sealer - What I used.

It states "Airbrush Only" on the site and on the bottle. They also make a rattle can of it too, so you would probably want to work out a masking scheme to use it. I actually applied it with a brush though (I had some other projects in the spray booth at the time...so I didn't want to deal with that). Anyway, a gentle hand will allow you to use it with a brush...you just need to keep a consistent light touch with the brush...and make sure the bristles are as soft as possible (otherwise the thinner used will likely strip the paint right off - I noticed a bit of that in my rush to get it done). Both products are fairly inexpensive - so you won't be out too much to see if you like the results. If possible though, an airbrush would be the ideal way to go.

If I recall correctly, they also have another sealer which is almost like a wax when dry that allows you to polish up the metal. This would take a bit more care when used at the small scale we work in - though it is something which can be used to good effect (I think I have seen a couple of plate equipped miniatures that had each plate buffed individually). The big thing with working with those is that you will want to maintain separation between parts, otherwise it will all blend together. By varying the buffing on each part, the tone also changes which allows for a more realistic appearance.

Thaks for the link/info & hope you enjoy the slump.

At any rate, I know that I, for one, am looking forward to some well-deserved slumping. -_-

::D:

Kang