Sign in to follow this  
Gaming Glen

troop leaders, to armor up or not?

Is it worth the 15 points (what's the new cost in RC08?) to add +1 DV to leader models, or 30 points for +2 DV? Are leader models targeted more than others?

It is a tough call, usually I reserve these sort of Upgrades for low DV models like Casters, but I can see it being a serious advantage on certain hefty models too (Eawod, the Bathalian, Marquise Zora for example).

I'd look at 4 things when deciding:

1) Point cost: The larger the points cost of the model, the more worthwhile it is likely going to be to protect your investment. (This is the reason I use it on casters, because they tend to be point sinks already, a few extra points to protect all those spells is sometimes worthwhile; Think of using them on modles like Moandain and Larnach as opposed to Ian and Lunk).

2) DV: If the model is starting with a high DV I find buying an upgrade less attractive.

3) Damage Tracks: The more damage tracks a model has the more cost effective the upgrade is.

4) What else can I buy for those points. Spells and Equipment nearly always get slapped on at the end in my builds unless I have a fundamental strategy I want to employ (eg. I took my level 3 caster specifically to cast chain Lightning). I do this so that I can see exactly what they add to my build (am I better off buying armor for my caster, or adding another warrior to troop 3?)

There are a couple of models I'll usually add armor to--Larnach, sometimes Arnise (though she needs it less now than she did originally), just about any of the heroes if there are a few points left over. But, as a general rule, fight-y models already have sufficient armor.

Models with 4+ tracks and really armor that is really high already will almost always get magical armor from me. Judas, Khong-To, and the Lupine Lord are good examples of these. I feel that pushing that DV threshold to the maximum is the best way to get your money worth out of the armor.

If I take a caster of some kind and load them up with expensive spells I will occasionally take magic armor. This is always more for insurance than anything. If I'm having a good game, nobody should even get a chance to hit my caster. But occasionally I suck and leave LOS open or forget about a larger model.

Since I play Dwarves, I ALWAYS throw musicians into troops that can take them. Then, at the end, if I still have 15 points, do I have someone with an open spell slot I forgot about? No? Then I throw Magical Armor on someone that I feel is appropiate for the army build at that time. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

I never give low DV models magical armor, the difference between DV 10 and DV 12 is not that great. I often give important models that have a DV of 13 or higher magical armor or greater magical armor since a model with DV of 14 or higher gets that much harder to hit. Since most models have a MAV of 5 or 6, the attacker must bring more models for support. In my opinion if you can bring your DV at 15 or higher with your magical armor it’s worth it, otherwise I use the points somewhere else. For spell casters I rather spend the points on another model to serve as bodyguard…

By the way, does anybody need some snow? We just got another 24 inches in Montreal in the last few days. I don’t know what to do with it anymore… :wacko::wacko:

I use the same approach. Magic armor on models that already have a high DV. Always reinforce and play to your stregths rather than try unsuccessfully to compensate for your weaknesses.

If my model is expected to serve a melee role, I will at times consider adding armor. Otherwise, I should be doing a better job protecting him/her from the ranged attack that is really the big threat. If it's a soft target, and the DV is coming into play for anything other than an Indirect Attack, I've got worse problems to worry about because somewhere my line has caved in.

I dunno, I'll throw a DV upgrade onto my casters even though I plan on protecting them. It seems to me that if I'm consciously trying to protect the mage, the enemy will be actively trying to murder my mage. Since there's a rather sharp conflict of interests surrounding the overall vitality of my mage, chances are good that something will happen that involves the enemy making an attack roll against it. Usually only from one model (the first time at least). Perhaps that +2 DV will mean the difference between health and misfortune for my mage?

I agree with the philosophy of "give armor to an armored model so that its DV becomes a problem to the enemy." Favorite models for me follow the stats of Freya fangbreaker or King Thorgram. Slap +2 DV on those guys, keep a pair of bodyguards beside them **at all times** and they'll go the distance for you every time.

I rarely give armor to my clerics - unless, say, Logrim Battlefury is leading my army, since he's got a pretty vital offensive role as well. To me, the clerics that I play are armored very well for second line troops. Then again, besides the archers in the Dwarf list there's very little that can be pigeonholed as second line troops!

I'm tired >< Hopefully I added something to the discussion.....