question on casting

Fruggs

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my understanding that they can cast a spell. However it enables the enemy model to give a defensive strike, even if the spell was nt directed at it.

I had to look this up, It seems pretty fuzzy to me. I'm going to confuse things alot.

Ok, here is my understanding, a spell can be cast while in BtB, no problem.

With an Attack spell, The Defending model can either use Defensive Magic, or make a defensive strike against any enemy spellcasting model in BtB (gee is that correct?)

Valandil Casts Bolt at Judas who is in BtB with him, Judas gets Defensive Strikes, correct? (I think this is right)

So lets say I have Valandil casting Bolt at Judas, who happens to be in BtB with Duke Gerard, Judas gets a Defensive Strike against Duke Gerard because the Duke is a spellcaster.

BUT!

If I have Valandil casting Bolt at Judas, who happens to be in BtB with Finari, Judas doesn't get a Defensive Strike against Duke Gerard because the Finari isn't a spellcaster?

Maybe I'm just tired and reading it wrong, but that seems totally wrong (and may very well be, lets wait and see what others have to say ).

You can cast in combat till your hearts content. As far as i can tell you could cast an iceshards against someone in basetobase and they couldn't attack you back (unless someone actualy declares an attack).

That is a Bold Statement considering The Rulebook states otherwise, Page 61 under "How to Resolve Casting an Attack Spell" and the sub-heading "Defensive Strike":

During an Action Phase, the Defending Model(s) may perform a single Defensive Strike against any enemy spellcasting Model in valid Front BtB contact.

So I'm assuming it by spellcasting model the model we can assume it doesn't just mean a spellcaster, but a spellcaster who is casting in that activation (Right, Wrong?) whether it is the one triggering the Defensive Strike or an entirely different model who happens to be in BtB with the target and also casting in that activation.

I can't find any erratta that changes this. Granted i've never played it that way, but that doesn't mean it isn't correct, actually It probably doesn't come up all that often.

You got it right Spiritual_Exorcist.

You can cast into combat without any penalty.

If you cast a spell against someone your casting mage is in B2B with the enemy model will get a defensive strike.

Awesome, thank you for the clarification!

Thanks all!

Just for clarification, the Attack Spell has to be cast at a Model in b2b with the Spellcaster for it to trigger Defensive Strikes, in which case, the spell is essentially considered a melee attack. If the Spellcaster casts an Attack Spell at a different target, this will not trigger a Defensive Strike.

Valandil is in b2b contact with a wounded Crimson Knight (A). A wounded Crimson Knight (B) is 10 inches away, in LOS, and about to feed on Gerard.

Example A:

Valandil honorably tries to save is fallen commmander and drops an Ice Storm on CK-B, killing it and saving Gerard. This does not trigger Defensive Strikes from CK-A.

Example B:

Valandil says screw this, you're on your own boss, and drops an Ice Storm on CK-A, saving his own arse. This triggers Defensive Strikes from CK-A, and although the Crimson Knight was killed by the Ice Storm, it sliced Valandil to ribbons with it's Defensive Strikes.

Non-Attack Spells have no bearing and would not trigger Defensive Strikes regardless of b2b contact.

Edited by Qwyksilver

What about example c:

Valandil (10 inches away) casts Bolt on Duke the wounded Crimson Knight, while Duke Gerard casts Cure 2 at the same time on himself. The wording of the Rulebook suggest that in this case the Crimson Knight can get a defensive strike against Gerard.

During an Action Phase, the Defending Model(s) may perform a single Defensive Strike against any enemy spellcasting Model in valid Front BtB contact.

So if the Duke isn't casting no defensive strike is provoked, but if he is it seems to me like he is a valid target even though Valandil isn't in BtB.

No . The exact wording is -

" If a model is attacked in Close Combat and also by a spellcasting Model in Base-to-base contact , it still may only return a single defensive strike ."

The way I read that , the spellcaster must actually attack the model in b2b .

THe problem is that is in the last line of the description, it should bein the first (All we need is: When a spellcasting model casts a spell at a model it is in BtB contact with, the casting model provokes a defensive strike) I dunno, I can see the point either way, and of course my previous example 3 makes no sense, but that doesn't mean it can't be interpreted wrongly that. I in no way want example 3 to be true.