Leap SA

vejlin

The example text in the SA simply confuses me. A Lupine Slayer jumping over a fellow Lupine would as far as I can tell NOT be moving 1.5" inches forward. Where does this number come from?

Aren't Large bases numerical value 1? Or are we measuring the actual width of the base (which is different from the numerical value)?

A Large base is 40mm wide. That's pretty close to 1.5 inches but not quite the same. But even assuming a large base is 1.5" wide the Slayer would still have moved two large base widths of horizontal movement (closer to 3" than the 1.5" the text refers to). In effect it seems to me the example uses the measurement technique so often used by inexperienced players when moving, measuring from the front of the base but then placing the rear of the base at the destination (effectively gaining a base width of free movement).

So is this Leap costing the Slayer 3" ? Well that makes no sense. Consider a Lupine Leaping over a Model on a standard base instead. Then it would be moving '1" forward' (according to SA text measurement method) and would be paying 2" for the Leap. In reality the model has moved much further ahead 1" (the other model's base width) + 40mm (the Lupine base width) totalling more than 2.5 inches of horizontal movement. So the model is paying 2" of movement to move approx 2.5".... makes no sense to me.

If I just read the SA text and ignore the example I get this:

a Lupine Slayer Leaping over a large base model would spend:

If using base size to calculate extra Leap movement I get:

2x40mm of horizontal movement + 4" of extra movement (twice the base size) = a little over 7" of movement.

If using actual base width I get:

4x40mm (horizontal movement + 2xtarget model base size) = approx 6.5" of movement.

Neither of these is even close to the "actual movement they use is 3 inches" from the example.

As I said I'm confused.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You treat the base being jump as a x2 mod to mov (measure the models actual position from its bases centre) Rules state that you can't ocupy the same space as another model (flyer/burrowers being the exeption). So that would then meen you must have anough move to get your back half of the model.

Kim,

Reading it again, I think you have it correct and will bring it to Gus' attention. I think Gus had the right idea, just used the wrong numbers. I think he just forgot to take into account the leaping model's base when figuring his jump length.

In the end it comes down to every inch of leap movement counts as two inches of movement. Basically the same as moving thru rough terrain (only your eaping over it instead of running thru it). You use actual distance jumped not the base size stuff that is used for determining LOS.

I'd just state that the cost is twice the distance moved. Much clearer.

References to base size just confuse the issue as does the wording with "extra movement".

Just call it a x2 movement modifier for the distance you Leap. Much clearer. If you want to elaborate further then write that the cost is 2xthe sum of the base sizes involved.