How big is Kabaka, Ape Lord?

TKD

I've got a bunch of questions about Kabaka, Ape Lord, DHL 3052.

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03052

How tall/long/wide is he?

How much does he weigh?

Does he come in a blister or a box?

I'm guessing he is of similar size to a 100 Kingdoms Giant Gor (also a Jason Weibe ape, got to collect them all!). I hope so, because I could use another ape that size.

Also, how easily can you modify his pose? The Giant Gor pretty much has one pose, and it would be lots of work to re-pose him because of the custom slots/pins for each limb. Is Kabaka done the same way?

Thanks for fielding my many ape questions. I think I've got at least one (usually more) of Jason Weibe's various ape minis, but I haven't gotten this guy yet. I've got no hobby shop near me to check with. Everyone around here who collects models builds Tamiya kits or gundams, not killer apes.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reaper ape is much larger and the proportions are different. The hundred kingdoms ape has a huge head and the reaper ape has a smaller head than the hundred kingdoms ape though it is a substantially larger piece. I solved that problem by switching heads. The reaper body with the hundred kingdom head makes a wicked kong style animal.

Jodee

I've been interested in this model too, as a gift for a friend affectionately known as "Old Silverback". I'd like to know how large it is too, even if just a pic with a human sized Reaper model next to it, for comparison.

My conversion will involve making some eyeglasses for this ape, and seeing if the fist can be swapped for a hand holding a gigantic Starbuck's cup!

Here he is

l_e2890a2d3039876185b3547756373fe0.jpg

The added head size makes him really line up well with the ral partha T-rex. I don't have the patience to paint so being pragmatic I put a faux bronze on all my miniatures. It is pleasant to see them all unified by the finish and I get to truly appreciate them as sculpture. They come across as a bit more "monumental" for me.

Best regards,

Jodee

GwydionGreen - thanks. Sounds like he'll do fine next to the Gor mini (and this other Gor-sized plastic Ape I've got), maybe as the bull ape of the trio.

Sangreal - Nice ape! How hard was the head swap? I'm wondering how he'd look clutching a giant dinosaur-sized bone club now that I see that one.

I'd love to see a human-sized figure (or just a coin) in there for reference. I've got no idea how big a Ral Partha T.Rex is. I'm worried I'll get a circular answer ("How big is Kabaka?" "He's as big as a Ral Partha T.Rex!" "How big is that RPTR?" "Oh, he's about as big as Kabaka...") ;)

I'm plotting my triumph return to my painting table, and I know I have just too few apes waiting to be painted. I'll have to get one of these guys!

Thanks guys! Yeah, he sure is big. That's a sweet giant ape. I'll get one as soon as I reasonably can.

As for greenstuff fur - when I my Giant Gor he needed greenstuff to fill the gaps so I could carve fur on. Once I finished it looked just fine. Somewhere I have pics of him...he shifted off his drying frame during the epoxy setting and so he ended up slightly too upright. I needed to prop him on something or he'd fall over. So I pulled out a broken lead mini from my old TSR Magic-Users & Illusionists boxed set, mashed him into proper "ape victim" state (face down and flattened) and propped the Gor up on him. Put a nice pool of blood on the base, too! I need a Kabaka to go with him, though, now that I've seen how big he is.

(And yeah, it's been a couple years since I posted regularly...moved to Japan and left the minis in storage. It's less fun to talk minis when you can't paint any of your own. But I really got the painting itch right now, and I'd like to get some work in when I'm back in New Jersey).