Sign in to follow this  
Ironworker

A Case for Ray Guns!

Absolutely with you on this, IW! Great rant - oh, and I'm still waiting on the flying cars, too!

Here were are 8 year into the 21st century. We still don't have flying cars and our most important space missions involve trying to add new parts to a space station before the old ones wear out. If that's not depressing enough even our science fiction seems to be going retrograde lacking in both science and fiction. Everything seems to be based on things that already exist or are just over the horizion. Not one thinks big these days. It seems like we've given up. Traveling to other worlds, laser guns, artificial gravity, aliens, it seems we've banished these things even from our fiction as being too unrealistic? I'm not a nostalgic person but I would like to see some sci-fi based more on what we can dream up than what we can prove is possible or already exist. We have all this technology today to create anything out mind can imagine and yet where are all the good space movies?

Well, I think a lot of SF today is a reaction to the OTT Space Opera genre SF film and TV was doomed to for decades. Star Wars was its own worse success: the result was a lot of "SF" lite. I personally welcome more realistic and plausable SF, as at heart I'm a Hard SF fan.

I also disagree that there's a lacking of "Science" in the science fiction. There's plenty of it there. Just because its not flashy laser bolts...

As for "where are all the good space movies," I've been asking that question for decades. IMHO if you want good quality SF, read books.

Damon.

Well, I think a lot of SF today is a reaction to the OTT Space Opera genre SF film and TV was doomed to for decades. Star Wars was its own worse success: the result was a lot of "SF" lite. I personally welcome more realistic and plausable SF, as at heart I'm a Hard SF fan.

I also disagree that there's a lacking of "Science" in the science fiction. There's plenty of it there. Just because its not flashy laser bolts...

As for "where are all the good space movies," I've been asking that question for decades. IMHO if you want good quality SF, read books.

Damon.

I have to agree with the book thing although I think the subject that translates even less well to TV and movies is horror. Sure I’ll jump at a sudden movement or be somewhat repulsed by the gore but I never really get that sleep with the lights on scared from movies I get from books.

Hard Sci-Fi is barely fiction at all. It’s more like “this is a story of things we’re pretty sure are going to happen soon”. I realize that Space Opera is often barely science at all but the point of my rant is not to debate what type of Sci-Fi is better. Debating over aesthetics and taste is pointless. I enjoy some hard sci-fi even with machine guns but I enjoy laser guns, hyperdrives, and aliens too. All I want is to have both options available in my miniature selection. Currently finding good minis with energy weapons is pretty difficult.

Voice of dissent here. I love sci fi pulse rifles/ballistic guns and hate laser/ray guns. Laser guns reminds me too much of 60-70s cheesy sci fi. Just a personal opinion though.

I'd like to say that I like 'em all. Give me an M41a Pulse Rifle or a Photonically Charged Molecular Agitator and Destabilizer any day. ;) it's ALL GOOD.

BFG 9000! For my AICOM grunts!

Seriously - more from the AICMO looking stuff would be wonderful. Now that I have the 1/60 Dictator, 1/60 Scorpion, and 1/60 Despot, I need AICOM. Even if I have to use RotD datacards.

Mike

As the Frog says, this line will have all types. That's kind of the design intent of the line - to have everything we can.

Heck, I've even got one of these coming up, and he's not sci-fi!

ChronoC.jpg

I'll go for understatement:

2000455272489756911_rs.jpg

Absolutely with you on this, IW! Great rant - oh, and I'm still waiting on the flying cars, too!

I'd rather never see flying cars, judging by the average driver that I encounter on my morning commute.

See, I'm all for flying cars. That way people get off the streets and I don't have as much to worry about when I'm riding my motorcycle. I figure a flying car has just as much chance of hitting me as anything else falling out of the sky.

Ship crew a la Serenity/Firefly or ship crew and civilians a la Asimov's Foundation series with ray guns. Oh yeah. Or even modern people with ray guns. But! In 25 MM!

And a flying car, with ray guns!