Sign in to follow this  
odinsgrandson

Looking into this game

Hello all.

I have been painting Warlord (and other Reaper figs) for a very long time. I have been consistantly impressed by the Warlord range of minis, but even though the minis are available everywhere, no one here plays the game.

So, I'm wondering: Why doesn't this game have more following? I don't know if I want you lot to answer that question, but please tell me the good things about the game. Why do you play this and not one of the many other miniatures games?

I don't know the rules of the game at all, and I'm a game mechanics junkie- go ahead and give me dice probability tables if it makes your case.

I feel the biggest factor for me is that Warlord is true skirmish battles. One model is one entity. While they activate as a unit, they are not tied to each other by invisible ropes. I can send a single crossbowmen off to the other side of the board and not suffer some bizarre morale rule penalty. I can have a unit spread out all over the place, involved in multiple brawls, some running to engage others or shooting at distant targets, casting spells, healing wounded...all in a single unit acting on one activation. It's about the freedom to do what you want with your minis. Each and every one gets to have its day in the spotlight.

Plus the game is balanced better than any wargame I have ever played. There is no Ultra-Army. Play to your strengths as a general and you can beat any army.

I think the two things I like the most about Warlord is that it is fast and that you spend your time playing.

Fast: Fast is important to me because I no longer have the time to spend a whole day playing a game. It has to be done in a few hours, anything longer than that and I just don't have the time. Maybe when the kids get older but not now.

You spend your time playing: With Warlord I spend my time playing the game, not looking up obscure rules in the rule book. With many other games a lot of the time is spent either looking through the rule book for some obscure rule or worse spent waiting and waiting and waiting for your opponent to finish his turn. Warlord has virtually no periods of inactivity, as many other games do.

I like the skirmish level of the rules, and the inititiave system as well. I hate that you go-I go factor of most other games, so the inititiative deck is a great alternative for me.

The other big draw is the amount of feedback the players get to give to the game, and Reapers support for the army lists. Unlike that big company that practically ignores player feedback until it releases a new edition you have to pay for, Warlord gets updated annually, and Reaper publishes the updates free of charge on their website.

I have to say that initially I was somewhat ambivalent on Warlord. It was alright, but I wasnt that impressed, and I saw alot of potential balance issues.

However, in more recent times, I have discovered that many of the problems I had were due to the fact that my army SUCKED. Alot.

Now that I have reworked my list a bit, I have to say I really like warlord, it seems pretty well balanced, and has ALOT of flexibility. In fact, thats what I really like about warlord more than anything. I can do almost anything with it. I can make a list out of just about any models I have in my collection, and it will be a decent representation.

So yea, while there may not be any particular 'Ultra-List', there are definitely alot of ultra bad lists :P

Warlord is a one off game for me. I think Reaper is a fantastic models company, but in my opinion, and the others that I game with who've tried Warlord, the game isn't the be all, end all, fantasy skirmish game. We prefer other game engines with more options, not nescessarily more complications.

If you mention some games you play already, we could give you some comparisons.

My top 10 reasons for Playing Warlord:

10. Have been buying Reaper figs for last 8 years.

9. Experienced Warlord at RCON07

8. Rules written in real English (Yes I are poking fun at our cousins across the Pond)

7. Better looking figs

6. Affordable

5. Faster

4. I am constantly doing something

3. A real skirmish game

2. A responsive design and devlopment team

1. It's a Texas game Baby!!! Yeah!!! :wub:

If you are trying to compare it to a game of British design then I will say you are comparing apples and oranges. Warlord just is it's own system of unique coolness. The best part about it is once you learn the RAGE systm you can play all of Reaper's Games.

I will agree with all of the points so far, even if Warlord isn't my all time favorite. From the sounds of your model collection, it would cost you virtually nothing to get the rules and data cards and kick the tires. You're already there.

You may find it's your favorite. Don't let my lukewarm review dissuade you from at least giving it a go. The die-hard fans around here are extremely helpful with any questions and are always looking to spread the game.

Warlord is a great game for several reasons. The best one is playability: you do not have to spend multiple hours reading a huge rule book and try to memorize some dozens of obscure rules that only come into play once in a while, and after a few games you’ll seldom need to go back to the rule book at all. The game is that easy and fluid. The next one is cost: in a typical game (1000 points), you’ll have on average between 16 to 25 models in your army, and this is very few miniatures compare to most game of its genre. So this means more money in your wallet, less hours painting, and more hours playing. Furthermore, Warlord keeps getting better and better with the release of the Rage Chronicles (game update) and these updates are 100% free to download.

Reaper seems to cares about the game and their miniatures, and in the end we the players benefit from this -they also do of course- by getting a good product for our money. If you ever have any question about the rules or how to build your conquering-blood thirsty-army just ask the board...

Ease of play, ease of learning for noobs, huge range of Reaper figs, accessable game design staff, and awesome forum board. Things I've not really seen in other games or their companies.

I'll dare say, that Warlord/CAV/and the upcoming Reich of the Dead are systems that are actually compatible with several other games making it an even better product allowing you to incorporate material from them, or to export Reaper material and figures into those games.

Not having played a real game yet, I've wondered if cavalry charges are as dangerous as they historically seem to be. Reading through the rules and data cards seems to indicate that they are not in this game.

Do the rules support some or any of the historical tactics? Do pikemen (or anything with Reach) have any effect on charging attackers?

One thing that bothers me is the Retreat rules and the ease at which Models are removed from play. So there is nothing about routing the enemy to make the units retreat ON the play area and having an enemy leader regroup those runners later (IMO: if they make it off the board then they are removed from play).

There are no special rules for a cavalry charge per say, but depending on the faction you field some have deadly cavalry. The Crusader’s Lion Lancers are my favorite and if used properly they can have a devastating effect on the battlefield. Although there is no special rules for cavalry charge and pikemen these models benefits from Special Abilities such as First Strike, Shock, Improved Charge, and smite (mounted), look into those SA for information.

For the Retreat Rule I have to tell you it seldom comes into play, I’ve never seen it used in a game so far. The conditions when retreat can happen are quite limited. If you do not try to break B2B contact when shaken (see page 58 of the RB) or you are in cohesion you’ll be alright… :devil:

Not having played a real game yet, I've wondered if cavalry charges are as dangerous as they historically seem to be. Reading through the rules and data cards seems to indicate that they are not in this game.

Do the rules support some or any of the historical tactics? Do pikemen (or anything with Reach) have any effect on charging attackers?

One thing that bothers me is the Retreat rules and the ease at which Models are removed from play. So there is nothing about routing the enemy to make the units retreat ON the play area and having an enemy leader regroup those runners later (IMO: if they make it off the board then they are removed from play).

While there are no special rules for Cavalry charges in the game, I find that the models still sting like you wouldn't believe when the charge is successful.

Usually their increased move allows for them to hit softer units behind your front line or hit your line at such an angle that it loses it's effectiveness. Since the Cavalry are most likely the ones to get the charge they get to determine position and can usually protect each other fairly well.

Most cavalry also have the First Strike ability. Which means when they're charged the can knock you down a track or even kill a model before you get to complete your defensive strikes. Together the speed, strength and abilities combine for a pretty brutal cavalry charge.

Again, reach models do not have set bonuses against Cavalry models, but most reach models do also have First Strike. This allows them to attack at the same time as the Cavalry, and possibly damage them before their other strikes. This lessens their effectiveness slightly.

The retreat rules are extremely simple and don't allow for regrouping once retreat happens, you're right. But I have been playing the game for years and have only seen 2 models retreat.

This is even when playing armies where I tried to exploit the retreating mechanic. Currently it's just too hard to get a model to retreat in Warlord. They have to have no leader, then not be 2" away from an ally in his troop, fail a Dis check and gain a shaken token, then fail another one before spending an action to remove the first token.

The Heaviest Cavalry in the game pair First Strike + Shock, making them exceptional combatants. Both are in the top 3 or 4 melee abilities in the game, and their combination is nearly exclusive to Cavalry models.

Paired together they mean your opponent has a very high chance of only being able to strike back at you very weakly or not at all.