I know Gus ultimately had final input into all of the new models in the game, but I also know Stubbdog was the primary contributor for the BSG, and that individuals on the BL team had the Lupines and Girly Dwarves predominantly handed to them to design.

So what I was hoping for is some snippets of the methodology and fluff behind the various models, why they were created, what role they fill in terms of the army, and in terms of faction fluff.

Just looking to spur a little dialog, I'd be happy to hear about even just a few units (example: what are the Daughters of Skadi Hurling that makes them have a ranged attack? Why do the BSG guards have Berserker, it seems an odd choice for a DV 13 model).

Not looking to be critical, merely curious about the various models we've gotten for these factions.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so maybe I need to solicit some of this information directly:

1) What are the Daughters of Skadi using to give them their ranged attack?

2) What is the background behind the BSG Guards that makes them have Berserker as opposed to Fearless or something else? Are they flesh crazed cannibals? Are they under the influence of Narcotics? Are the devout worshipers? I ask because they really seem to have a strange bunch of characteristics that make them feel like a support model given their reach, but their High DV suggest otherwise, and the Berserker further complicates the model.

Looking at their range of 12" on the Daughters, I'm assuming the daughters have a thrown weapon. I could see hammers, axes, or laser eye beams being used here. Wait, the indirect shot ability kind of crosses out the idea of laser eye beams.

The gnomes have a grab bag mix of SAs. I think they get tons of reach and trencher because they are forced to fight in cramped tunnels. When you're a crazed evil gnome I imagine there isn't much that can keep you from the front lines... unless you can't fit. In that case you're using every thing you can to poke at the enemy through your friends.

On the Guards specifically, I think Berserker describes a mental state more than it describes a fearless mindset. Models with Berserker are flat out insane and refuse to back down from any fight until their opponent is on the ground begging for mercy. In that sense, Guards and Hoks are just as insane as their shirtless dwarven friends.

Based on the background fuff that was given for the BSGs, every BSG model should get berzerk. But, obviously we could not do that. We tried our best to not change existing models datacards. But we did go ahead and add it to several of the new datacards.

Several of the trenchers we had in the first beta cards lost it, including the guards.

The guards got reach and the smite mounted based on the artwork and their weapon types. Same related to their elevated armor.

Looking at their range of 12" on the Daughters, I'm assuming the daughters have a thrown weapon. I could see hammers, axes, or laser eye beams being used here. Wait, the indirect shot ability kind of crosses out the idea of laser eye beams.

My bet is their lobbing of miniature pots of soup. (Spears perhaps?)

Because she finds her hammer very prittyful, and not worth the chance of loosing on a mortal.

The sub-list idea is based around worshippers of Skadi. They are willing to follow her anywhere. All are devout, but the daughters are more like heretics.

Originally she did have a ranged attack, but it made her more expensive. Three versions were tried and the current melee one seemed the best. I may have suggested she get the ranged back but everything was changing not daily but sometimes several times a day. When she lost the range the daughters had been changed into something more like the valks without healer. When more models were allowed the original version of the sisters came back but Skadi's range was overlooked. Either way Skadi will be a fun model.

Her fluff is she is the half-daughter of the Mountain God and a Shieldmaiden. She doesn't look like a dwarf, more like a robust buff human crossed with a dwarf. Being on a large base will bring out the giantess aspect. She is kind of a barbarian type, wild and barefoot that protects her father's domain.

Here was the picture that gave me the idea.

skadi.jpg

The daughters are throwing tethered ax/hammers, actual ax/hammers and not balls, but I thought the olypic throwers were good as a sculpting concept. They try to emmulate Skadi in everyway including dress and their weapon and fearless barbarian style of battle.

here was the concept picture:

hammer-throw.jpg

This is good fluff. Female Dwarves have been sculpted as Valkyries in Celtos, but really working them into the Dwarves like this is new. Kings to you.

Warlord has made a point of having lots of female models in the game, and in almost every faction. 'Can't say that about every game.

I admit that I thought that the DHL fire giantess that looks alot like an over grown dwarf would make for a perfect Skaddi. I wassurprised when she was not chosen for the job.

I think its because the ax/hammer is a major fluff element of Skadi and the Daughters. I thought the other female giant fit the fluff better and would have been very happy had she been chosen.

frulla.jpg

But I do like the fire giantess, without the spear she'd be good. Maybe if her hands and spear are one seperate piece they will just sculpt an ax-hammer like the concept art and start packaging it with both weapons... and designate it later. Personally I think Frulla is pretty perfect, I even sent her in the original concept last summer when Gus asked for Dwarf sublist ideas.

3168_femalefiregiant.jpg