Apc destroyed in high flight

Okay, say I have a Czar APC, which, as it is movement type Air, can go into hybrid flight.  It is carrying a full load of infantry.

While in Hybrid Flight, it is shot at, doing just enough damage to destroy it.  What happens to the infantry inside?

I'd say they fall ~100m to the ground and go splat, unless someone wants to make a "paratrooper" mod that they can get.

Anyone else have ideas?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, understand that I don't play the game (yet) but here's my theory:

The people inside are dead, or suffecient numbers of them will be that by the time the explosions, the crashing, the stopping and the like, then even those inside are going to be in no condition to fight. So essencially the organics inside are out of the picture.

Now with paratroopers (or grav chutes, or wings, what have you) they get suited up and ready for the drop, then they go. I assume that your battle taxi was shot long before the drop site, so the guys in there were probably relaxing as much as possible before the bottom of their craft exploded on them.

Now: I really need to learn CAV, and get people to play it with me. Might have to do that next week.

--LSH

hmmm an idea from warhammer (ok i dont know how similar/different it is in rulesw but anyway...)

you could buy a crew escape mechanism (for 10 points, a standard MBT cost about 190 i think) that let D3 members of tank crew escape when their vehicle was destroyed (could only be used by imperial guard and only on closed vehicles i think cuz on open ones they can just jump out...) they would only be armed with standard pistols being tank crew not troopers.

im guessing from what has been said that these things fly so that may not be relevant

normal rules for normal men/women/things in a ground/skimming APC would have been that on D6 if you rolled a 4+ they got out fine, below 4 they took a wound.

prob not relevant but its an idea :p

but it could be used for when they crash if they dont have paratroopers or whatever.....just it would have to be much less of a chance than 4+ on a D6 lol

Frosch, an APC can't use Hybrid Flight.... apparently.... but if it were a Fenri or another AT then this situation could come up.

As for what would happen, they die. Falling damage rules apply, as far I'm concerned.... and if I remember correctly that's 1DT per level fallen above the first (and Hybrid Flight is like 10 levels or so).

As for paratroopers, that might work but Hammer is right... they'd be lounging (or at least preparing themselves for battle) and so not truly ready. I suppose you could do some form of 8+ they deploy their chutes.

Or the Baron, or one of the others from JoR2.

I'm not all that familair with the JoR2 vehicles yet, so I wasn't sure if a Czar was an AT.

I suppose the squishies inside an AT might have parachutes just in case.... you could try the *+ thing... dunno how well it'll work.

Unfortunatly you are correct Frank.  The Czar is movement type air but is also listed as an APC(vehicle) Therefore no hybrid flight for the Czar since it is a flying vehicle.

Sux....oh well

As for the question posed, thats a good one, maybe we can include it in a new "Ask the CAV boss" on Mil-Net.  If they are still doing that.

Per the JOR page 130:

"This rule does not apply to missle models (like the whisper) nor flying vehicles (like the Hedgehog) unless otherwise noted on the Data Card."

So the way I read this andything with movement tye Air and listed as an APC (Vehicle) can not use the Hybrid flight mode.  Which I think tends to take away the purpose behind the flying APC.  You want them due to there ability to rapidly redploy needed troops to hot spots, and weak points in your battle line.  This is something that I think needs changed.  Give the Badger and the Hedgehog movement type Hover and just say anything with movement type Air can use hybrid flight.

Yeah this definantly needs better clarification. This is a whole mess of questions just waiting to happen. I have to second Frosch. Just call them hover and be done with it. Or if they can fly "ala Fenri" let them use full speed. As it is now I'm an AO and i'm not sure which can and cannot use it.

If you don't restrict hybrid flight for *ANY* APCs and you'll get the Fenris going into hybrid flight and dumping their infantry.  bye bye Whisper launcher...

Anyway I vote "gunships with infantry pods can use hybrid but can't unload" and included is "if an APC is destroyed in hybrid all infantry DIE end of story".

A hedgehog is an antigrav hover vehicle it should *never* have the ability to use hybrid flight mode just by its definition.

I don't even know if there is a rule for "can your APC in hybrid flight unload" -- a regular APC can't unload if it moves over half of its MM as it is.

Ask Thane about last year at GenCon when he forgot about that little rule when running all of his infantry trying to flank me and strike into the heart of my army  :)