Sign in to follow this  
Gaming Glen

random placement mechanic

I'm working on a scenario and I want to place the enemy non-sentient objects randomly around the map. Anyone have such a system?

Or will this idea work?

-----

(mysterious objects) deployment begins by picking a point in the middle of their deployment zone. From this point, the Models are placed. Roll 1D10 and multiply by 2 to determine distance, 1D10 to determine direction:

• 1 - right (0 degrees)

• 2-4 - right and forward (45 degrees)

• 5-6 - forward (90 degrees)

• 7-9 - left and forward (135 degrees)

• 10 - left (180 degrees)

-----

At first I tried 2D10 for distance, but my sample placements sometimes got models a bit close together, so I went with 2x 1D10 to get a little more separation.

one used in a CAV scenario tht I liked was the idea of a drop.

Pick a middle spot for each side, whether it be the actual middle of the board or the middle of the player's half of the board.

Roll a regular diamond shaped 10 sided dice. The number showing is the number of of inches from the post to place the model. The direction the dice is pointing is the direction to move it that many inches.

If the middle spot is the center of the board then it might be advisable to multiply the result by 2.

Not sure if this would work for you but here's an idea:

Place several objective markers at various places on the tabletop. Anytime they get looted/investigated, roll on a table or against a target number to see if they were actually an objective and what they were, or just a false alarm.

That way although the objective placement isn't strictly random, knowing what ends up where is.

I've did scenerios where it rained fire and had to determine the spot a firestorm landed on a 4x4 table. I rolled 2d10 then added 2. This gave me a number between 4 and 22. I would use that for one edge of the table, then roll another 2d10+2 and bring out the fireball that distance.

It got it far enough away from the edges so that the firestorm wasn't wasted, and let me use the dice I came with to randomly pick a spot on the board.

Ran a paratrooper drop (into Normandy prior to D-day) game once. Had the players turn their backs to the table and pitch pennies over their shoulder onto the game area. Where the penny landed was where their 'stick' was placed. Any that rolled off table got pitched again, but the paratrooper had been hurt in the landing. If it went off a 2d time, the paratrooper was killed on the way down.