02967: Alastria, Elf Sorceress

Pyreos

Here's the newest peice off the line. I know where to go from here ( I've only gotten about 40% done), but any advice at this stage would be helpful as well. So far I've done a basecoat of green and tanned shadow mixed with black to darken in down a bit, then I've done a layer of unmixed base over that, then a mix between the base and the midtone, (working my way up waaaaaay slower than I had intended). I haven't touched the hair, partially because I don't really have good hair colors, partially because I don't know what to do there. Some of the traps and bands on her arms are also untouched, but I'll probably end up doing those in green. I intend to gently highlight the edges of the crytal until it's either white or a very bright green; the sword I think is finished (sans the runes, still need to think of something there), and I tried some NMM's on the hilt and her right bracer. The staff will ultimately be just black.

DSCF3267.jpg

DSCF3263.jpg

Please input, and I'll keep throwing out pics as I get them, thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts...

I personally like the sword so far, nice transition between colors (I like doing blades this way as well). I'd suggest a similar transition on the runes, maybe bring that sky blue from the tip back to the runes closest to the hilt and work from sky blue to white? or bring the green from the cloak over...depends on how much you want the blade to stand out. To me, that is the focal point at the moment...is that what you wanted?

My other thoughts...there's to much green. Maybe do the outfit (well, what little there is of it anyway) in the blues and purples from the blade and leave the cloak green or vice versa. This might help pull focus from the blade to the figure or put the focus on the figure and let your eye be drawn to the blade. I think her outfit is blending in too much with the cloak and since the cloak is such a large area...it really takes over. Maybe repeat the purple to blue down the "dress" (or whatever you call that thing hanging from her waist) and on her top, leaving the cloak green and then highlight that crystal up.

The skin is looking good, just work up from where you are at with a few more levels of highlights. The hair...I'd go white with a hint of blue for shadows.

Just my two cents worth,

-Z

I disagree on the amount of green. I think its fine.

Good start you have going on. Looks like you are heading in the right direction.. Just keep going... Just keep swimming.. Just keep swimming..

Only suggestion I might give is that at this point sice you have all the general colors blocked in, focus on workin on only one area at a time. Get all the skin tones where you want them before messing with the clothes again. Then focus on the clothes on her body. Then worry about the cloak last.

Dont be afraid to take the darks darker and the lights lighter. I have found myself doing a base coat and then putting my darkest and my lightest colors on and then blending the middle grounds. It has helped me a little bit get over my timidness towards adding pop instead of just suggestive.

I would go with Auburn or red for the hair - it'll contrast nicely with all that green. I really like the sword blade, I'm not sure what I would do with the runes on the sword in your position. Hmm, I really want to do something with a lot of contrast there, but I can't think of anything either.

I don't think your NMM is quite right. You don't go dark enough in the shades and white should only be in a very few spots. On the sword hilt, I'd only have it at the very tip of the hilt and the very tip of the top half of the crosspiece. Everything else should be darker, I'd shade to a color much closer to black than you have now (YMMV, everyone does NMM differently, I am just mentioning what I think would help for your way of doing it). On the bracer, try to make the pattern stand out some, right now it's hidden (and all those pattern would reflect light slightly differently, emphasize them and it'll look great!).

I can't wait to see the green as it comes along, I'm especially interested in how you're going to do the crystal, it sounds like it's going to look great!

Thanks all, great advice (keep it coming though..)

@ stubbdog: Thanks, that should help. What I've done untill now is do one basecoat on one section, then another base coat on another section (varying colors) just to keep it all even, but perhaps that's the wrong approach.

Aaaaand, a month later, I've got some progress. I've finished up the greens to where I think I want them, the flesh tones can use a little more contrast, and the sword & staff-gem are finished as well.

2396374483_2e22629bc2.jpg

2397208946_d5c9e11362_o.jpg

C&C please.

Sorry, it was killing me, I had to fix it:

DSCF3295.jpg

I just put it into photoshop and autoleveled the color to get rid of the yellow from incandescent lighting (and cropped out some of the empty space). I can't do anything with the back picture, there's something weird going on there.

In the future, consider highlighting greens with yellow mixed in. It keeps the color from being desaturated (or some other technical term, whatever, I'm not an art major! <_< ). Unless the paler green was what you were going for of course. I also think about a glaze here to smooth out the highlights, especially in the large area of the cloak. I do think you've done a good job with the rest (I especially like the sleeve), those were just things I noticed. Ok, I'll shut up now.

Hi Pyreos,

Coming along nicely. The runes on the sword blade really stand out and I like the smooth transitions in your colors. Can't wait to see the finished product. ::):

Only point I would make is KatieG's pic shows what looks like a flash line on her cloak between the staff and her body.

Her eyes are soooo expressive. It's unsettling. I love it. ::o:

In the future, consider highlighting greens with yellow mixed in.

Likewise, I would use dark brown, not black, to darken a tan color to avoid a muddy look. However, I see no problem with your skintone in this piece.

I like the sword. You may want to consider darkling the runes, perhaps with purple ink. It's just a thought.