New Stonehenge dig

Mad Jack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool. The wife and I went out to see it when we were in London for our honeymoon back in '98. It was smaller thatn I thught it would be. Most of the pictures you see are only of the stone, there really isn't anything to use as a reference. Don't get me wrong, it is still massive and a huge undertaking to have been built, but my first reaction was "It looks bigger in photograph".

There are so many theories as to Stonehenge's original purpose that even with this new study I'm not sure that they will be able to conclusively prove anything. And even if they do, I'm sure that there will be plenty of people willing to be in denial to support there own pet theories. Still, I'm always interested in new knowledge.

Maybe this will finally motivate me to get off my duff and built that henge out of blue foam for some terrain.

I'm just happy that somebody's doing research... If they find something, I'll be happy just for the fact that they've come up with new reliable data, whether or not it proves anything. And if it does prove something, it'll just be one more reason to point and laugh at all the fringe-theory nutjobs. (Unless of course, it really was built by Atlanteans from outer space, in which case I'll be the one over there under the glass pyramid wearing a tinfoil hat.)

If you are into reading historical fiction, Bernard Cornwell wrote a book cryptically titled Stonehenge. ::): Some of it is loosely based upon what was known of the supposed time period that it was built, but it is a good read. I recommend it. ::):

Wild Bill :blues: