Reaper Con Sophie 2007

Here is my other project that I have been working on the last few weeks. She is pretty much done I think...just wanted to give you folks a chance to find all my mistakes before I send it off to Anne! I looked at what the other painters have done and WOW...I hope mine even comes half way to measuring up to theirs!!! Oh well, here she is...what do you think? The color scheme for sophie came off of my girlfriends bed spread! I tend to have problems with colors and this was a challenge that my gf gave me and it was a scary one for sure...I think in the end it worked much better than I had expected! Sometimes you just gotta think outside of the box or at least outside of your comfort zone. I also used pigments on the base and i really really like them. The base is actually an old resin oil refinery thing I had collecting dust in my closet...I cut it at and angle and then added dirt and milliput around it and it turned out pretty neat. It definately works with sophies pose. I also like the contrast of the old rusted metal against sophies nice new uniform. Also what do you think of the little veins that I put in her wings? The colors are actually more vibrant but they dulled a little with the photograph...sorry!

I will be teaching a weathering class at Reaper Con so if your there, come check it out! We can hang out and make things rust!!!

Be sure to click on the picture and then enlarge it for a better viewing experience...doh, I've already seen a couple mistakes!!! :angry:

post-4384-1207382818_thumb.jpg

post-4384-1207382872_thumb.jpg

post-4384-1207382888_thumb.jpg

post-4384-1207382838_thumb.jpg

post-4384-1207382857_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great painting once again.

I have the same complaint as in your water base with the figure getting lost in the base. This time the wings blend with the rusted metal. Just must be my personal preference because all the painting is wonderful, I just think the wings play second fiddle to the base due to the close color match.

Awesome! Love the rusty thing! I'm not seeing so much veins on the wings, though. But I do love the colors and love the base. I do think you've lost the edges of the rusty base thing and some judiscious darklining might help bring it back. Sophie is lined so nicely, but the rusty thing comes out blurred and sloppy by comparison. Nice job, and don't worry about "competing" against the others. The point was to do a good job and have fun with it, make it your own piece, which I think you've done rather well with!

Hey OKF...I look forward to seeing you here in Tejas! I have to disagree with the model getting lost theory. The drab, warm, tones of the wings and base match each other, making the crisp, cool tones of Sophie stand out all the better. My eye is immediately drawn to her. The yellowish tank is also brighter and draws the eyes there, but when the eye goes to that, it is naturally drawn back up toward Sophie, due to the lines of the tanks and pipes.

The only crit I have is the clothing between the armor plates...the color is too close to her skin tone, and is a bit confusing. It looks like it could use a bit more contrast as well, and maybe a few bluish, or blue-green 'tie-in' glazes. However, it could be a photographic issue, as bone and light gray colors bleed out a bit when photo'd. I've never known your painted minis to lack contrast, so I'd bet it's a different story in person.

Your work never ceases to amaze me Aaron, this once again really live up to the mark.

I'm totally regretting not being able to go Reaper con this time round (work / money / flights :S) I'd love to have got some tips off you and may be attended a class or two.

Just a quick question / pointer. Are you gonna do anything to the red laser sight on the gun? like may be a gleam of light flashing of the glass. Can't really think how to word it other than that.

Nick.

Thanks for the commets! They really do help! There are a couple things I think I will touch up before I call it done.

I'll add a little more depth to the refinery...I think my layers of pigment work may have dulled it a bit more than I wanted.

I totally didn't paint the laser pointer thing...I put the base coat of red on and didn't touch it after that (oops!)

As for the skin and clothing being to close in color, I think that is more of a photographic issue (one which I really don't know how to fix at the moment)

I will say that every color on sophie has a bit of the teal armor in it including the wings and face!

a-diz

Thanks for the commets! They really do help! There are a couple things I think I will touch up before I call it done.

I'll add a little more depth to the refinery...I think my layers of pigment work may have dulled it a bit more than I wanted.

I totally didn't paint the laser pointer thing...I put the base coat of red on and didn't touch it after that (oops!)

As for the skin and clothing being to close in color, I think that is more of a photographic issue (one which I really don't know how to fix at the moment)

I will say that every color on sophie has a bit of the teal armor in it including the wings and face!

a-diz

I figured it was more of a pictoral issue...your stuff is always amazing.

I don't know that I would adjust the refinery at all. It looks sunbleached, and dull...just as it should. Besides, if you add more contrast to it, it will stand out more, and naturally keep the eye there longer.

Just my thoughts...

Yeah, really the only thing I will do to the refinery is in the yellow section and I'll just add some blue to the darkest parts of the shadows. I don't do traditional black lining. I try to keep my shadows different shades of color as it looks more natural. The yellow is already really strong so I don't want it to jump out atcha any more than it has to.