Moving through Infantry

papabees

If I'm understanding this correctly, a CAV can move through an Infantry stand at any point through its move action (albeit the stand gets a free defensive attack), but if a CAV stops it's movement in B2B with Infantry then a roll has to be made to break away? Is that accurate? That seems a little odd because units aren't necessarily stopping at the end of their move it's just an extrapolation. Or is the roll only required if the unit was engaged in CC?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a CAV can move through an Infantry stand at any point through its move action, but if a CAV stops it's movement in B2B with Infantry then a roll has to be made to break away?

Yes, that is correct. I have no clue why you would want to do that though.

That seems a little odd because units aren't necessarily stopping at the end of their move it's just an extrapolation.

Despite that, there still has to be a rule for the situation. If you don't want to have to make the Exp roll, don't stop in B2B with the Infantry.

This does beg the question, though...

If you are in CC with an infantry stand directly to your front, on the next turn you make your EXP check and move out. If you move directly through the Infantry do they now get a free attack? It seems to me that since you have just made a check to leave CC then they wouldn't in this case, but I'd like to hear the official answer.

That's cool. Just curious as to the thoughts behind it.

The main reason for doing it that way is this:

Your opponent has some Infantry x" away from you. It takes him 2 Movement Actions plus the charge bonus to get them into B2B with your CAV.

The current rules means he's not going to get a free Defensive Strike at you, just b/c you break contact when your card comes up next. Otherwise Rach Infantry w/Satchel Charges could put 3 damage on a model without ever having to actually perform any CC attacks.

If you are in CC with an infantry stand directly to your front, on the next turn you make your EXP check and move out. If you move directly through the Infantry do they now get a free attack?

Yes.

Based on my reading of the text, any Model may leave close combat "no matter what." You only make the Exp roll to see if you have full or half Mov to do so.

Again, just to be clear. The Exp roll is not required to "leave;" only to "leave with full Mov." It's NOT a "break away" check or any other similar mechanic. You "break away" by simply declaring that you're doing a Movement action and not doing CC that turn as you do so.

As for successorlord's question, I don't see that the situations are linked, especially since the Exp check has nothing to do with "allowing" a model to leave. "Moving away" and "moving through" are separate and distinct. Moving through the enemy base invokes the Defensive Strike, regardless. The Exp check is only to use your Model's full Mov, not to "allow" the movement thus you're free to move in any direction you so choose. If you choose to go through the enemy Infantry, you invoke the Defensive Strike.

Used to be that an infantry stand being in B2B with a vehicle or CAV prevented it from moving at all. I yelled long and loud and after asking if someone could go out on I-35 and physically restrain a car or truck it got changed to what we have now. :lol:

The rule as written now is a huge improvement over what it was originally and I think it's more than fair. ::):

Used to be that an infantry stand being in B2B with a vehicle or CAV prevented it from moving at all. I yelled long and loud and after asking if someone could go out on I-35 and physically restrain a car or truck it got changed to what we have now. :lol:

The rule as written now is a huge improvement over what it was originally and I think it's more than fair. ::):

I believe yer exact words were, "why don't you go play in traffic."