Charge

mike40k

Quick question regarding the charge action. My group plays it that making a charge action includes an attack roll, but I have always thought that was wrong. I think that a charge (move into b2b with bonus to MV) and the attack roll are two seperate actions, not one. So, which is it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stepping into the rules lawyer mode for one minute...

Actually, a charge is simply a bonus distance that a model can travel during its non combat move action if that bonus distance will allow the model to get into B2B with an enemy model.

It is not an action in itself. The move action that it is a bonus for is the action.

It can get confusing as people like to use the term "I charge this guy". When technically it should be "I am basing this guy". The charge bonus only comes into play related to the distance thing.

The only reason I say it this way is that you dont now think that the charge is an action in itself and therefore a 3rd action for the activation, as it is not that.

Ok, taking off the icky lawyer hat quickly...

So if your model double moves into base to base, gets attacked by the defender, it still gets its' defensive strikes? I haven't thrown a ten sider for Warlord in two years, so refresh my memory, please.

Simply based on your wording here...

A defender cant attack. It can execute defensive strikes if it is attacked.

If a model has to take 2 move actions to base an enemy model (whether or not it includes a bonus charge distance in those) it will not have any actions left to make an attack that turn.

If a model only needs one move action (whether or not it includes the bonus charge distance in that), and assuming it did not do any other actions before that move, then it will still have a combat action to be able to attack.

Stepping into the rules lawyer mode for one minute...

Actually, a charge is simply a bonus distance that a model can travel during its non combat move action if that bonus distance will allow the model to get into B2B with an enemy model.

It is not an action in itself. The move action that it is a bonus for is the action.

It can get confusing as people like to use the term "I charge this guy". When technically it should be "I am basing this guy". The charge bonus only comes into play related to the distance thing.

The only reason I say it this way is that you dont now think that the charge is an action in itself and therefore a 3rd action for the activation, as it is not that.

Ok, taking off the icky lawyer hat quickly...

OK, maybe I am being the lawyer now, but I thought that you only got the "Charge" bonus if the moving model is able to attack THIS turn. Meaning you only get the bonus if you can contact with 1 move action + the bonus then next actions melee. Using 2 move actions doesn't gain you the extra 2" or Imp Charge/x" to help you contact. A Charge should end in melee not just pinning, correct?

Or am I just wrong on this? Cheers,

Brian

I'm saying, when the defending model activates and attacks, the model that double moved gets their defensive strikes. Is this correct?

Yes, if you have one of your models double move into b2b with an enemy model, it can not attack. That enemy model now activates and attacks your model. You still get your defensive strikes, just like you always would. ::):

A Charge should end in melee not just pinning, correct?

No, this is not correct. There are certain situations where it may be very advantageous to charge one of your lesser models into one of your opponent's big guys in an attempt to pin them. You charge in, and then declare for his second action he will do nothing! Now, the enemy model may attempt to break b2b contact and succeed, or they may just stand there and turn your grunt into applesauce. If option 2 happens, you are winning because you successfully tied up their big guy with your grunt for an entire turn. That is awesome. If the break, ok, that happens, but if you were smart, you placed your grunt just so, keeping that big guy from charging your mage or cleric. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

The few times we tried Warlord (first edition) I used this to my advantage a lot. It was very effective to run my Broken Fodder twice, with a Paintender holding the standard for movement (name escapes me), to effectively get three actions in the same turn. Double move gets you able to tie down opponents, and when they activate, your defensive strikes are still happening in the same turn. We apparently were playing it correctly, but it was just another one of those things that didn't measure up to some of our other favorite game engines.

I know, a defensive strike is not an action, but by playing the troops this way, it amounts to them getting into combat with that double move, and the defensive strike is then, effectively, an attack.

yep, you are exactly right. Great tactic and fun, and gets the game moving along for all involved.

Whats not to like?

Would you prefer that someone who is attacked not get any defensive swings? Just die? That would slow things way down as everyone would position and position but never charge.

I don't know very much about Chronopia. Could you share about Chronopia and how it handles combat.

Comparing is a good thing. It is what helps us when we discuss our own game.

I have heard you say several times that you like how other games hande certain things more. And have used that a bunch in your posts lately, so, I would really like to hear about some of those other things that you like more. I have heard you talk repeatedly about other games having more options or something to that affect. Again, I would like to hear more about this.

Please pull things from any game, and share. If we need to start a new thread, we can do that.

This is not sarcastic. I am serious. I would like to know more about the things that you like from other games. Doesnt have to be limited to defensive strike comparances.

Pleae go nuts with your post. I am interested. Thanks.