Sign in to follow this  
Mad Pat

RAGE Chronicles 2008 - Data Cards

The Overlord and Baron both have Martin 2G DFMs, but the statlines for the two are quite different. Could be passed off to electronics differences, but thought I should point it out.

Also the Rendor IV on the Falcon and the Talon (Faction Version) have different stats.

OK, played a 4000 point game against Forlorn Hope today. I will say that some cards will take some getting used to. The Badger is still a tough nut to crack, but it's become rather slow. I had a mech inf section get stuck in a bad deployment situation and it took forever for it to get to where it needed to go. I fielded a force of infantry, transports, and a couple gunships.

The Barracuda rocks. Only problem I have with it is deciding whether to jam, call in strikes, or fire the PBG. The updated Kharl is awesome, especially if you spend a few extra points for Reactive Armor. I'd say that the Kharl is exactly where it needs to be. Now to try the Kharl '74 and see how much that one rocks. Armored infantry only having three tracks now is going to take some getting used to. I didn't get a chance to try to repair one though. The Bears I had went down fairly quickly, but they got beat at their own game, the infantry CCV rush. G-11s range bands are horrible, but I don't think they should be changed in the interest of maintaining some sense of logic. Besides, they pretty much won the game for me after all the other stuff got shot to pieces.

Models he had were a varied mix of infantry, gunships, light vehicles, and CAVs. The Lynx was a pain in the butt as most of my anti-hard capability was focused in assaulting infantry teams. Dragonflies went down easy, but their gun is actually something to be concerned about now. The Ghast has become a beast, especially against soft targets. Good thing it only has two attacks. Nomads seem slightly more useful, but not by much and that seems about right. Dictator 60s went down too easily I think. It seems silly, but that one point less DV seems to make a big difference. The guns however are now not totally useless against infantry or other soft targets with 9 or 10 DV, until it takes a few points of damage that is. The Falcon was hindered only by bad die rolls. Otherwise I think it remains a solid model and doesn't need any changes. For what it's supposed to be the Puma doesn't seem to need any changes either. The Sabertooth was quite effective against soft targets, even a couple hard targets. Not sure off the top of my head how much it cost, but it's probably well worth it. Armored Heavy Mortar teams also where hindered by bad die rolls. Target point rolls were by and large successful, he just had bad luck on the actual damage attempts.

To Sum up the cards we used today:

Cards that are awesome (which may lead some to believe they might need to be looked at more closely):

Ghast

Barracuda

Cards that are right where they need to be:

Kharl

Nomad

Falcon

Armored Rifle Team

Rifle Team

Armored Heavy Mortar Team

Bear (though I think I need to play a game or two more with them)

Puma (though one more DT would be useful)

Dragonfly

Lynx

Stiletto

Sabertooth

Cards that could use improvement:

Dictator 60 (please put their DV back at 11)

Badger (too slow, but otherwise spot on)

I've got some comments on the RC08 changes, but I'll put those comments in the RC08 thread.

The Overlord and Baron both have Martin 2G DFMs, but the statlines for the two are quite different. Could be passed off to electronics differences, but thought I should point it out.
Also the Rendor IV on the Falcon and the Talon (Faction Version) have different stats.

Thanks guys, those are just the kinds of things I want to hear. Its hard to remember to remember all of that stuff when you're buried up to your eyebrows in stats.

@ Sarge, thanks for the awesome feedback. As always, the best way to really get the feel for the cards is to play with them.

And I understand how everyone wants the 11DV back on the Dictator, but I really think that keeping it at 10 is going to make CAV a better game in the long run. When compared to all of the other Attack CAVs, the previous Dictator 60 was a no brainer. Big guns, good armor, fast move, and it was fairly cheap. Why would you take anything else? By giving it a weakness, it may make the model a little less attractive, but it also makes all of the other CAVs a little more attractive. Can ya feel where I'm coming from?

Ya Know Sarge, the new '60 Tator is right where it was originally intended, a fast lightly armored heavily armed attack cav. I remember fluff in Jor1 that mentioned Dictator '60 pilots using other attack cavs for cover by traveling BEHIND a skirmish line of more heavily armored machines leaving the enemy with the choice of getting pounded by the Dictator's guns while engaged with the skirmish line OR ignoring the lead group to go after the Dictators. As much as I hate to say it (the owner of 6 Dictator '60s for my Terrans), it fits.

Mind you, as a Terran player I will continue to argue until the sun explodes that the T-bird is too slow, so go ahead and rant, I feel your pain. :ph34r:

It's probably more a matter of me not having played the original CAV and being used to D60's have a DV of 11. It just seemed like when I decided to kill a 60 it folded too easily. But I see Chrome's point about making it so all models see play rather than just handful of the uber1337.

Well, i have to admit the stat card for the Emporer is just kinda stpid ridiculous in my opinion.

No wonder you wanted to wait and post these cards last.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Emperor, But we feel the card now reflects the beast it is supposed to be.

As for releasing the Rach cards last, it actually had nothing to do with that, I wanted to surprise the rach players with the two brand new cards for them.

I still think the Cougar is not worth the time of day although its had a slight improvement . <_<

The Cougar is a situational CAV, and more of 'team player' than most others. By itself, it's good for finishing off damaged heavies or going after lights. Used with a 'wolfpack' mentallity (say 3 Cougars and a Talon/good recon CAV), they will take down even healthy superheavies. Granted, the dice can still be fickle. Haven't had the chance to try out the updated version yet.

I still think the Cougar is not worth the time of day although its had a slight improvement . <_<

Unfortunately something has to be the old man on the block. Think of it as a Huey helicopter in a world of Blackhawks and Apaches. It still has its uses.

I do not think the problem with the Cougar is that it is "the old man on the block." I think it is that you pay points as if it is a less-old man on the block.

I assume that most of its 200 pt. price tag comes from its damage tracks. Yet, I end up wondering when people will feel bothered to shoot at it so it can show its durability off. I once had a Cougar standing alone in front of a large armour section full of heavy and super-heavy mechs. It went two full rounds before we called the game...with not a single shot directed at it.

I do not think the problem with the Cougar is that it is "the old man on the block." I think it is that you pay points as if it is a less-old man on the block.

I assume that most of its 200 pt. price tag comes from its damage tracks. Yet, I end up wondering when people will feel bothered to shoot at it so it can show its durability off. I once had a Cougar standing alone in front of a large armour section full of heavy and super-heavy mechs. It went two full rounds before we called the game...with not a single shot directed at it.

As a new Ritterlich player (via the new point requirements!) I have been thinking about the Couger as well. I really like the idea of the thing - an older model that is still tough, but has outdated systems, etc. The gamey part of me, however, keeps insisting that other CAVs fro slightly more (even the Jaguar @250) would make a big difference in the field.

Would lowering the point cost on the Couger make it overpowered or broken? A lower cost would make it attractive in strategic terms (does a Couger and a Panther = one Falcon? In the right situtations? etc.) and seems like it would reflect the "Old Horse" character of the thing.

Also, the Spider has Fire II missiles, while the Recluse has Fire III missiles, but they now have the same stats for these missiles, in addition to the conflict with the Wyvern.