That's it! screw him!!!

Jordahn

I have been TRYING to push Reaper in my area, and the best chance Reaper has here is CAV because most of the gamers around here (the college crowd) is more into sci-fi over fantasy.  Also, there is a pretty decent MechWarrior userbase here which would be a good crowd to introduce CAV to.  Another thing is that the fall semester is about to start up next week.  There will be newcomers (freshmen) who are into gaming in which they can be exposed to CAV as well.  After talking to one of our fellow board members who is also a Black Lightning member (thanks, Herr Oberfroschmeister), he sent me info regarding CAV that the retailer can turn a healthy profit selling CAV when going thru Reaper at a no risk policy.

I presented CAV to the owner of the local gaming store here, and as usual, he maked excuses not to support anything new.  I also told him to download the CAV beta rules, print them, and show them to potential CAV people to see what kind of demand it might bring.  He wouldn't even do that.  Sorry son of a [[[bLEEP!!!]]]  This guy is not running a store, he's running a clubhouse pushing stuff he like and he's too lazy to do anything to better the store.  He just became a father 2 weeks ago, and I figured that expanding his line when possible (and trust me, it's VERY possible) would bring him more income to help support his family.

Sorry, people.  I just have to rant because I'm sick and tired of trying to help someone (and there were many others), but that person you are trying to help is not willing to do anything for himself to better things.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Download them for him, make a summary, give him a report on why it would be good for him, you are the one trying to sell him on the idea.  

Also you might try buying a couple of CAVs painting them up and say running demos at freshman week, see what kinda response comes up get names and take it back to him.

My two cents.  :D

Man, do I feel your frustration!

I've been doing the demos in northern IL (Chicago area) for a while, and I just now found another player in the area. He first played last Gencon (Thanx Mil-net guys for referring him to me). The store owners had to be convinced to carry CAV and they finally came round.

Basically, do what I did. Get CAV stuff, paint it up, learn the game  and go demo it. find a store in the area that will carry it and let the player's know where to find it (I don't recommend to do this in a different store) Enough people will be asking for CAV that the store owner will have to carry it or they will get it elsewhere.

Consider him a challenge and that you will win because we all know that CAV is a great game with awesome support.

Just don't give up (like I've wanted to several times) and stick with it.

Where are you located, Maybe there needs to be a "Black Lightning Storm" there. :oo:

Download them for him, make a summary, give him a report on why it would be good for him, you are the one trying to sell him on the idea.  

Also you might try buying a couple of CAVs painting them up and say running demos at freshman week, see what kinda response comes up get names and take it back to him.

My two cents.  :D

Hey, what you are saying sounds great in theory, but I'm just so fed up with the guy.  Thanks for your words, and let me elaborate more on this.

I first told Ed (the store owner) about CAV several months ago, and he thought it was a too much of a finacial risk.  Understandable.  He also said that the appeal of MechWarrior instead of CAV was that the Mechs came painted.  I thought that was BS, but whatever.  I later learned that Ed could make a potential 200% profit on his initial batch on CAV, and anything he didn't sell he could return to Reaper for a refund  minus shipping.  So I reintroduced CAV to him last Tuesday.  I called him back a couple of days later and advised him to download the beta rules and share them with potential CAV customers like a "try-before-you-buy" sort of thing.  He gave me that BS about the painted mechWarriors again.  He also said something about being afraid of offending his Mechwarrior and Warhammer 40k crowd if he allocated resources to CAV.  I understand that money doesn't grow on trees, but in his case, nearly everything GW he sells is special ordered, and Mechwarrior sell very steady for him.  He also said he was afraid that if he were to carry CAV and was forced to later drop it because of poor consumer support, it would offend the one who had bught into it.  That was last week.  I just saw him today and asked about anymore thoughs on CAV.  He said it was too much of a risk.  Knowing his past history, he's mainly lazy.  I have a lot more to say, but I MIGHT leave it here for now.

Where are you located, Maybe there needs to be a "Black Lightning Storm" there. :oo:

Ghost Rider, I'm located in Starkville, MS.  Why don't I just rant a little more...

Here are a few senarios.  I'll let you be the judge:

1) His store opened up two years ago (Sept. 2001).  Hero Clix was out and doing well at the time.  I asked him will he be carrying some. He was very reluctant to until the demand came to him instead of him creating the demand.

2) A selected few who helped him "push" his store, he gave them a 30% discount.  I was making flyers for him to advertise tournaments and asked about the discount.  He said I was already getting a discount from him like when he sold my wife a box of nine pocket page card holders for her baseball cards when she could have gotten it cheaper from a baseball card shop.

3) He had over a week to plan for a Hero Clix tournament.  When a friend of mine arrived that day for the tournament and asked about the rules, Ed had yet to make up any rules.  Also, any tournaments held were ran by someoen other than Ed.

4) I decided to give Games Workshop another chance last summer.  Ed likes Warhammer 40k and care very little about Warhammer 0k.  When I told him I wanted to get into Warhammer 40k, he was VERY excited, but when I later clanged my mind and decide to do Warhammer 0k instead, his reaction was as if I was 2nd rate.

5) If no one is behind the counter when you walk into the store and you haven't met the storeowner, more than likely you will NOT know who the storeowner is.

6) If you see Ed behind the counter playing PC games, SCREAM to get his attention.

7) Ed is the store owner and sells comics and games.  He deals with the games, and his wife deal with the comics.  He knows nothing about the comics.

8) If you have something special ordered and it came in, you might not get it if someone else came in and asked about the same product before you came in to pick it up.

Are there any other stores in the area (even if they aren't typically "gaming" stores)?  This guy sounds like a lost cause.  He's running a store to support his hobby, not make money.

Don't discount Warlord so quickly, fantasy does have it's followers.  The fact that there is a large MechWarrior following may work against you as well, they already have their "big metal gunship" fix.  Instead of competing, find the niche (fantasy, but less expensive than Warhammer).

::yes, I realize I'm talking blasphemy in the CAV part of the boards right now...::

How big is the school?  Maybe just play there and have people mail order the CAVs/Warlords?  That's easier than pulling teeth like you've been doing...

Yes! Get people involved in the local wargame club. When they ask where can they get it, tell them so-and-so won't carry it, but they can order from Reaper. Also ask them to go ask so-and-so if he carries CAV. He'll say no, but as people from the gaming club keep asking, he'll probably start carrying it...

depends what battletech minis you get, Iron Wind aren't painted.

the way i see it, making/converting/painting minis is part of wargaming : the pride you get from a painted battleforce (especially if you put your heart and soul into it) beats anything you will get from a ready painted army - even if it doesnt look as good the fact that YOU did it not some machine gives a sense of pride. (and experienced peeps can usually kick the **** out of any machine done paint job if they have enough time)

it also probably reduces the embarresment of winning if you're already happy due to having done it yourself

my opinion, since wargaming around here is limeted to.....uhm.....GW, and thats it, the only (other) hobby store is straight modelling, you wont find anything for wargames/rpgs - just real life stuff like WW2 tanks and train sets :O

:blues:

Are there any other stores in the area (even if they aren't typically "gaming" stores)?
The closest out of town is HobbyTown (Tupelo).  Mike runs the store, and her is a very down to earth, nice person.  I always try to make an effort to pay him a visit to at least talk.  His Reaper selection is VERY limited, but he WILL go the extra mile to get what you want.  He's a 1 hr and 15 min drive from here.  I also heard there is a new gaming store there.  I need to check it out

The next two closest are HobbyTown (Jackson) and Lion & Unicorn and Empire Comics in Birmingham, AL, about 2ish hours away.  I do visit Birmingham to do some shopping which includes going to Lion & Unicorn.

Then, there is Diversions in Biloxi, an almost 4 hour drive away.  Why there?  My in-laws live there, and it feels like a second home to me.

As you can see, everything is quite a drive away from me.  Not too bad at times, but having the store right in your town would be best.

This guy sounds like a lost cause.  He's running a store to support his hobby, not make money.

Yep.

Don't discount Warlord so quickly, fantasy does have it's followers.
Really, I haven't.  I'm just sick of trying to have it pushed thru a store front.  I'm still "evangelizing" on my own.

Yes! Get people involved in the local wargame club. When they ask where can they get it, tell them so-and-so won't carry it, but they can order from Reaper. Also ask them to go ask so-and-so if he carries CAV. He'll say no, but as people from the gaming club keep asking, he'll probably start carrying it...

Actually, I'm planning to put together a small gamers usersgroup where we can mail order together, checkout what everyone else has bought so we can see them first hand, and cool stuff like that.  Several of us are fed up the Ed, and I hope this idea goes well.  And where would you meet gamers?  At a gaming store.  I met three "new" people Tuesday night at the store, and they were pretty cool.  I just can't stand walking in the store anymore.  Maybe having a usersgroup would help attract "new" gamers who I don't know who are disfranchised.  Wish me luck.

the way i see it, making/converting/painting minis is part of wargaming : the pride you get from a painted battleforce (especially if you put your heart and soul into it) beats anything you will get from a ready painted army...

I'm sure some of the attraction to MechWarrior is the fact that the minis are already painted, but what about those who prefer metal and wants to paint?  The guy is making up excuses.  I agree with you.  I have my personal reasons why I paint minis, and I enjoy it.  How about my gaming "needs"?

I know a couple of you have mentioned about painting a few CAV minis and showing them off in the store to create interest.  I've already tried that with DHL, and it has created attention, TEMPORARLY.  Problem is that Ed wasn't willing to have a DHL display where you could actually walk in and look at the stuff instead of ALWAYS having to special order.  There are three of us that could have gauranted a profit turn around for Ed, not counting the few other people that buy fantasy minis on occasions, but when you screw around, you get screwed.  I really feel that if Ed had a display of Reaper minis and kept up with it, people would come back to check out what's there and buy stuff.

Sorry for any misspellings.

:)

one reason could be that battletech is probably much better know.

just taking me as an example - ive had mechwarrior 2 on the PSX for......6 years or so, mechwarrior 3 on this for over 2 or 3 years (i hate mech 4 so im not going near that hehe). along with the games there are novels, animated series etc. so you coudl say it is a more 'viable' option

while if you compare this to CAV, ive only known about it for about 2 weeks - and that was only from browsing rpgshop.com for sci fi minis i like

my extra 20 pence and a small bit of reasoning that isnt an excuse for them not to stock it anyway :p

one reason could be that battletech is probably much better known.

I can understand that a more established franchise has a higher chance of selling, but that doesn't mean you can't branch out into other product lines.  He doesn't even carry Ironworks Battletech or Battletech rules.  Just because HE doesn't want to paint the minis and HE is a Battletech fan, doesn't mean that everyone else is the same way.  From several of the locals, his mentality is that he carries the toys HE wants to play.  You know, Games Workshop is far more known that Reaper.  I think I'll leave it at that.

:)

Your store owner has thousands of Clone Brothers scattered about the world.

At least half the store owners I have encountered (and we're talking hundreds of individuals here) could be described exactly as you have described this man.

And people wonder why most game shops don't make it past a couple years?