Question about layering..direction of brush & glazing.

pepibom

I thought I'd whip up a couple of quick graphics to show visually (if a bit crudely) exactly what's been talked about here between layering and feathering. I picked a skirt I didn't mess up too badly on for a subject piece:

You have lines pointing to arrows - I'm afraid that wasn't clear to me what you are doing with your brush. Can you please clarify?

The lines serve to link the start/stop text to the appropriate arrows. The point of the arrow shows where the brush tip starts or stops.

Eastman's got it; the brushes are pointed in the _exact_ direction you'd hold them, and you'd draw backwards to where the "end" arrow is in a direct line. I tried to make it as cut and dry as possible; what exactly are you not able to understand? ::D:
Aha! I think I understand - those are not arrows at all; they're pictures of paint brushes! I can't speak for Madog Barfog, but the reason the illustrations were confusing me was because I was seeing the brushes as arrows, imagining brush strokes that went from the back end of the brush handle to the tip of the hairs, wondering why there were always 2 arrows shown and how these brushstrokes could possibly represent the technique described, etc. Makes much more sense now. The brush strokes go from the tip of one "arrow head" to the tip of the other. Not along the length of the arrows. Which aren't arrows. Whew!

Kang

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eastman's got it; the brushes are pointed in the _exact_ direction you'd hold them, and you'd draw backwards to where the "end" arrow is in a direct line. I tried to make it as cut and dry as possible; what exactly are you not able to understand? ::D:

Good choice for the example mini in the pictures ::):

Thanks for those great tutorials! Unfortunately I won't be at the con this year...I'll try for next. Happy Monkey Hat has sold me!

Anyone teaching in the NYC metro area?? In the meantime I'll keep practicing.

--and reading these posts!

-G