Sign in to follow this  
Gus Landt

Dungeon Encounters

Hmmm...Ok, you're correct, for some reason I had it in my head that it could land for free, but that isn't correct.

I could see an 18 inch blowthrough, Vasyl has that already.

Gus' point formula deals with Ranges in 6 inch increments (6,12,18,24,30) so the minimum would have to be 6, which isn't too bad. If a baby dragon had a 6 or 12 inch range blowthrough it could be limited simply by have a low RAV given that RAV degrades with Blowthrough.

I'm gonna go with the idea that since these models aren't meant for regular play, it's OK to do things with them that I would never do in Rage Chronicles (like give a flyer a ranged attack). It will be up to the person running the scenario to make sure they get used appropriately. And I'm fully counting on the person running the scenario to be confident to fudge the point costs. If you put a 300 point flyer in a scenario in which they won't be flying, you could act as if it is 50 points cheaper than listed.

This is mostly on topic - what is typically used for the adventuring party? Last time I saw dungeon crawl rules it was pre RC datacards. It was basically this profile:

Melee Hero

Cleric

Rogue

2x Melee Grunts

Is that basically what people use still? What if each player gets only one model? I would assume that you would let each player take a leader/elite/solo - or perhaps just specify a minimum and maximum point value and let them have at it, pick whatever they like.

How have you dealt with spells? A dungeon crawl could last for many more rounds than a warlord battle... Do you have item drops to bolster the spellbooks? Recharging spells?

Maybe, a 1st level spell is cast in round 1, can't be used in round 2 (for a "1" recharge - one turn of downtime), and can be cast in round 3. A 2nd level spell cast in round 1 can be cast again in round 4, and 3rd again in round 5. Innate spells may be cast at any time. Familiars do what they do, and if they "go off (i.e. the spell didn't!)" you don't have to wait x many rounds to re-use the spell. You could have an extra sheet with the spells listed by level, and use dice to mark how many turns until each spell can be re-used. Yeah it's lots of book keeping, but if you're the magic type, you're used to that :D

How have people balanced their encounters? How many points of adventurer are fair in comparison to a given number of monster points? Have people found that a 1:1 ratio works, just like regular warlord? Or does sending the monsters at the party in little chunks mean that a smaller adventuring party can handle a far larger amount of monsters?

On a separate note, you might as well include the entire Necropolis and Darkspawn lists in this document - or at least give a nod in their direction, pointing out that they have datacards which satisfy your skeleton and drow needs, respectively. For that matter, basically all of the factions could fill a role.... I've never heard of a dungeon occupied by Paladins and their squires, so perhaps the Crusaders wouldn't make for a good dungeon - but what about Blackguards? And why not an evil sorcerer of immense power holding a Dwarven clan in thrall?

I figure any faction could be used to draw your adventuring party stats from, but Mercinaries might be a great place to start at since they have such a versatile cast.

Ok, enough rambling :)

Current version of my Crawl uses the classic adventuring party; fighter, magic user, cleric, and thief. The teams run about 500 points with spells for the cleric and mage, and use identical stats for every faction. The encounters are entirely random, ranging anywhere from 100 to 300+ points (the 300 range gets very nasty). Almost everything is high DV and Warmaster. I run the Crawl for 1 hour slots, so number of spells is rarely an issue (each caster has ~5 or so spells, usually plenty for the duration of the event). There is also random 1-shot equipment in the dungeon that ranges from potions of Cure to weapons to spell scrolls. There are really 3 options in my Crawl: pick up everything along the way (meaning more monster encounters are likely), take only the easy treasure and go after the dragon (high risk for high reward), or hunt other player teams. I'm considering a few new options for my next run, including BYO teams and using FAs, but that is still in development.

I agree with the idea that flyers should keep their cost and then just adjust on the fly, contrary to what I said earlier. I was thinking too much of a dungeon crawl, rather than using the cards for other special scenario games as well. I'd like to see some flyers with ranged attacks too; since they aren't "legal" cards, the balance issues are mitigated.

~v

EDIT: Apologies for the somewhat thread-jacking there.

Edited by Shakandara

Actually, JD already addressed this. Landing is free, so long as it is part of a movement action. So you cannot land, attack, and take off all in the same round. In fact, you cannot even attack and take off in the same action. Here's the relevant text from RC08:

"To take-off into flight from ground level is an Invoke Action. As a free action, Flying Models may land at the end of any movement action."

~v

Most of my crawls are the standard, six to eight identical parties (Leader, Cleric, Rogue, 2-3 Red Shirts). The monster encounters are based on poor rolling on the random event table. I did run an alternative version for my local shop where each player had 300 pts and brought one character. They took on the dungeon as an adventuring party. I added stats for Strength, Agility, and Smarts to cover any unusual events/actions. It worked real well.

Also, I like the idea of creating a beastiary that could be used for just about any encounter, not just a dungeon. I'm very excited at the potential of more critters to stock my dungeon.

Castlebuilder

...(Leader, Cleric, Rogue, 2-3 Red Shirts)...

Haha, Red Shirts. Too funny.

Gus, how about a Summoned monster, or two, across the range of "not terribly awesome" to "basically regular" and.. well, there's really no need for "extra awesome" since most of the summoned monsters in Warlord are pretty good. I'm thinking, something costing around 20-40 points, and one at 60-80 points. From 100 and on there's pretty good representation already.

Some people might like to take a summoned monster for their caster to bring out. Since that only works with something that has the SA, it would be necessary to have some of these dungeon stuffers have that SA.

Anyone with an opinion on whether or not the Dungeon Encounters document should include monsters already in Rage Chronicles (like the Minotaur and Hydra)? Or should it just have new stuff? And before anyone asks, I am not planning to make alternate cards for existing monsters just for the Dungeon Encounters document. I'll have enough new datacards to create & playtest to have to make new versions of 50 cards that already exist. :wacko:

Well I think there is little doubt that a Dungeon Crawl list should allow the use of existing cards, I'm not quite sure the document needs to be really specific and limit exactly what should and can be used by including everything in the document.

After all, a Dungeon for an Evil faction could just as easily be a castle populated by a Guardian Angel with faeries and Elemental minions as it could be an Evil dragon with humanoid helpers.

I like the idea of the Dungeon only cards, but everything else should be allowed as well.

Keeping official cards out of the Dungeon Encounters document would help underline that the cards are not official for regular play. Having it all in one document would be handy though... I can't decide what I'd prefer.

While it would be useful to have all of the cards in one place, drawing the line of what cards to include then becomes rather difficult. I vote for simplicity and for keeping the size of this document smaller: just include the cards that are part of this extra supplement and not ones that are found elsewhere.

Ron

PS: But, maybe include a list of cards (one list, alphabetized) and their factions that may be useful in "encounters".

Anyone with an opinion on whether or not the Dungeon Encounters document should include monsters already in Rage Chronicles (like the Minotaur and Hydra)? Or should it just have new stuff? And before anyone asks, I am not planning to make alternate cards for existing monsters just for the Dungeon Encounters document. I'll have enough new datacards to create & playtest to have to make new versions of 50 cards that already exist. :wacko:

I would have them kept out of the Document. If they fit with the new monster then make a note of what faction they are in and where they can be found.

Agreed; leave the official cards out. We're smart enough (I think) to go find stats for minotaurs, trolls, ogres, giants, demons and such from the exisit RC08 document. Keep this new document for just the unofficial, not-for-standard-game-play datacards.

~v

I like the idea of a beastiary having all the beasts. There would be no confusion asto what models were official or not as data cards have a faction spot. Beasts that were not official could say "scenario".

It is just easier to have everything together. Why look through two or more resources when it can all be in one. I don't look at it as a document for unofficial play and unofficial cards, but more as the scenario document.