Sign in to follow this  
Gus Landt

Dungeon Encounters

That being said, if the dungeon crawl models make it up onto Reaper Games you could easily print them all off together along with the other models that struck you as Dungeon Crawl types and create your own beastiary.

One person might not think Orc Warriors are 'Big' enough to be in their bestiary, while someone else might want to use Orcs and Goblins as staples in their Dungeon Crawls supported by just a few Nastier models.

Reapergames datacards let everyone create the type of complete Beastiary they see fit.

That being said, if the dungeon crawl models make it up onto Reaper Games you could easily print them all off together along with the other models that struck you as Dungeon Crawl types and create your own beastiary.

One person might not think Orc Warriors are 'Big' enough to be in their bestiary, while someone else might want to use Orcs and Goblins as staples in their Dungeon Crawls supported by just a few Nastier models.

Reapergames datacards let everyone create the type of complete Beastiary they see fit.

I think that that might cause confusion. If people download the scenario document. It could have a disclaimer about not all models being official models. Then people would notice the affiliations, putting unofficial cards in the data card search could easily confuse someone making a freelance list. Whether the beastiary contains both kinds or only the unofficial cards. I think putting them in the data card seach would lead to confusion for some.

Yeah I think care needs to be taken to avoid people getting to the cards without reading the disclaimer. Even if faction says "Scenario" I'd bet that at some point you'd meet someone who insists they can be brought in a Freelance army or in a merc army through Change of Heart.

There needs to be a clearly visible disclaimer and IMO it should probably mention Freelance and CoH explicitly.

Perhaps. but the idea of an all inclusive bestiary just isn't possible without including half the datacards in the game, better to either have some mechanism to be able to pick the datacards you want and to make the dungeon crawl exclusive to new models.

Whether or not the datacards are lumped in with the other ones on Reapergames doesn't worry me, but the cards will be far more useful to me if they can be accessed and selected online like the current ones can, whether I have to do the Dungeon crawl ones separately or not doesn't bother me.

While I think that the majority of us would have no problems with current Warlord "monsters" being included, I can also understand how this might confuse some people. A handbook with some legal and other illegal critters could turn into a real mess.

Castlebulder

My opinion is that you should not include official datacards and unofficial datacards in the same document. I certainly realize that it is an inconvience to pull cards from two different documents to get what you want instead of being able to create that single beastiary. It just causes more problems than its worth. If you have to have it then we could create the "Official" beastiary based on the beasties from the current and future lists. You can then have the "Unofficial" beastiary filled with scenario only or specific beasties.

Thanks for all the input! What you will end up seeing is a small document with just the new critters in it, along with plenty of disclaimer explaining their legality. Another disclaimer will point out that tons more critters can be found in the legal Warlord card lists.

As for ReaperGames, these new cards will not be mixed in with the legal cards. All of the new dungeon critter cards will only be found in a single document. Yes, it would be helpful for a BL running a dungeon crawl to be able to have a single printout of the mixed legal and non-legal cards. However, that convenience is not worth the risk of confusing new players, particularly freelance players.

Don't know if it's too late but I'd like to see cards for the arachno assassins. Something with 6 attacks and undead obviously, maybe backstab/2 ?.

Edited by vejlin

I've been real busy lately and haven't had as much time to contribute here as I would have liked to. I don't recall anyone suggesting little critters from the various familiar packs. There are a lot of cool little buggers in them that could be a lot of fun in an adventure setting.

Castlebuilder

A quick idle thought from this morning:

How about a scenario with rules for "Warlord Gauntlet": a scenario similar to the old Gauntlet arcade game?

Each player gets 125 points (or some other value) to fit out a single character (say one fighter/leader type, one mage type, one cleric type, and one rogue type). The players can work together or not.

The characters have to collect as much treasure as possible before they die. Each player gets one or more "tokens" that act as "cure all" spells which replenish their health up to max (akin to putting in another coin in the machine). Some fixed big monsters, but also some smaller, one to two track monsters that are created by monster generators which spew one 1-2 of these things a turn.

Ron

I think Castlebuilder used to run a dungeon where you got x/points for a single model, spells and equipment. It may have been someone else.

A quick idle thought from this morning:

How about a scenario with rules for "Warlord Gauntlet": a scenario similar to the old Gauntlet arcade game?

I like your idea Ron. I may need to play around with this to "explore" the potential.....

Castlebuilder

ReaperCon ate up all our resources, then catching up post-Reapercon. We're still working on getting the layed-out version of Rage Chronicles 2008 done, and Reich of the Dead is eating up development resources as well.

This project has not been forgotten though! I will post more info when I have it. ::):

Month later, Millions of dollars short... reading this thread reminded me of an RPG where we thought we were made in the shade fighting a dragon in a restrictive cave. Ends up that the whole ceiling was an illusion and it had PLENTY of room to fly... so the votes for leaving flyer are dead on. I will now slink away into obscurity :ph34r: