World's Largest Dungeon

dargrin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played it, nor even looked at it, but I also haven't heard anything good about it. The most constant comment seems to be that it gets repetative after awhile. The only person I know who actually played a game in it said that his group abandonded it after getting bored with it.

I remember seeing it when it came out (or maybe one similar to it) and REALLLLLLLY wanted to drop the coin on it. But, I couldn't get anyone to commit the necessary time play it. :down:

I would LOVE to play it all the way through, either as DM or player. I think it would rock! :wub:

Wild Bill :blues:

Seems like it would only be fun if it were created with a narrative that could sustain all of the levels. I can imagine this - some kind of sunken castle/tower that breaks through into a forgotten complex, which leads ultimately to an underground civilization, and then finally descends to some kind of planar issue - maybe an antagonist(s) who is always one step ahead - but I wonder if this thing has this kind of narrative.

Does anyone know the plotline that justifies all of the levels in the book?

No, sadly, it doesn't rock. It's boring. The World's Largest Dungeon needed serious work before it was released. It's very thorough and there are no major "issues" per se, but that doesn't make it interesting. We played through the first three levels of the dungeon (character levels) and there was only one room that was actually interesting. My thought was that once we got out of that section things would get more interesting so I didn't bother reading ahead. Once it came time to read ahead I found nothing interesting there either. Or in the next section. Or any section from what I glanced over so there was no way to simply level up the characters and get any value out of the book.

If you were truly inspired you could work on it and make it into something interesting. Make more fun encounters, create actual NPCs for the characters to meet, etc. The encounters being layed out and having endless maps is alright... I started using the module when I decided I didn't have enough time to spend on a game. Later I realized I didn't have enough time to waste on the World's Largest Dungeon...

Play Savage Worlds. Save time and have more fun!

Plotline = Stuck in a dungeon. Kill everything you see. Survive to the end and there is a way out. It is an "extra-dimensional" dungeon so you can't get out any other way. No teleporting for instance... In fact, that was probably one of the more interesting things. You can't use Summon Spells or any other spell that makes things appear or hop around... Dimension Door, Summon, etc...

The game was written by different people for each section. It would have been so easy to include mini-plots in with each section. But they didn't. No overall story. No little stories. Just room after room of things to kill...

I am going to agree with those above.. Its not worth the coin.. In fact if you can pick it up somewhere for 30 bucks or less then it is worth it.. It has some neat features that allow you to insert it into your campaign.. but it is uninspired in my opinion and just seemed to be a repository of different plot lines per level ala Dungeons of doom the old TI-99 game.

If you are looking at dropping that kind of coin...

goodman Games DCC #51 castle Whiterock is worth what you can find it for on the internet..

the Gazetteer I could have done without.. but the other four mods in it are good.. If you like that classic AD&D style.

Also if you can Find Judges Guild City State of the Invincible overlord. Thats a good one to invest in..

If you cant find adventure there.. you are dead already.

i am old school though... so milage may very...

As someone who has been a player and a GM for the module (Player first) allow me to input:

Our GM gave us 3 Characters each, if one died, we moved to 2, etc. Each character was advanced in level simultaneously. A few of us, myself included, died ot some nasty traps early on, then learned ot be more cautious. Caution, on the other hand, will bore you to death. Being thorough in Every room, when each of the 15/16 zones (zone 14 is the size of 2 normal zones) has approximately 120 rooms, will make each individual room take forver, even empty, boring rooms. Balance is the key here.

There is an overarcing story for each distinct zone, and a tiny sub-story that almost imperceptibly runs through the entire dungeon, but unless your GM is making it very obvious, or you are interrogating the small number of NPCs in the know, it's invisible to everyone. In Zone A, just for example, there's maybe 3 NPCs aware of the "scheme". And since those NPCs are 2 orcs and a wererat, they are Kill-on-sight types, most of the time.

Our party made it to Zone C before all 18 of our PCs had died. Zone A claimed more than half of them, Zone B was not nearly so deadly, although it took much longer.

As a GM, it's easy to run, but as I said before, the Plot NPCs seemed to all be Monstrous Humanoids, and my players wer the "kill em all" not the "interrogate them" types. Not that it owuld help - after the first dozen orcs know nothing, when they find the orc that does, they're going to not interrogate anyway, since precendent shows that the prisoners are just mooks.

My GM gorup made it to zone E, Opting to go north instead of East, bypassing ZOnes B-D completely, which is fine. Still, Zone E had its own set of challenges, that the PCs never made it past.

My intent now is to use each Zone as a standalone dungeon, whenver I need a vast dungeon pre-mapped and written. It works fine that way.

I feel it was worth what I paid for it. Sorry - but I was trying to give you information to make a decision on your own, rather than advice.

YMMV.

Nobody in either group hated the experience, and I've been asked twice by my gorup if they could go in again starting in a zone they hadn't seen before - so I'm guessing my group would like ot see the whole thing..

I would say get it, and run it as individual zones. I would not want to try to run all 15 zones as a straight through a second time - even given that we never made it even 1/4 of the way through.

What I want to see is World's Largest City. Anybody know anything about that one????

Haven't played either of them. However from what I have heard, finding a few old Undermountain Boxed sets would be a bit better. For the cities, take a look for any of the city boxed sets that TSR put out. Sure they aren't d20 - but they actually provide a lot of information that never makes it into the new books that WoTC are putting out.