Sign in to follow this  
Chapien

Taltos Setting for DnD

Are you using the grid of D&D or inches?

Also, does anyone know where I can find information on other countries in Adon, should the PCs decide to leave Taltos?

The out of print "Dark Heaven Apocalypse" boxed set had a book covering all of Adon. (My wife has it. I really should read it some day.)

I have seen the book by itself on Ebay almost every time I have looked. The whole boxed set may be pricey, but people seem to have enjoyed painting the minis and getting rid of the book.

It's easy to convert square movement to moving with a ruler. Every square is one inch, so it's a straight conversion (and you aren't constrained by 1-2-1-2 diagonal movement).

Thanks! I might try to start with squar movement though until I get more terrain pieces.

Yeah, you can convert from 1" square grid to using rulers, and if all you are worried about is how far along the tabletop your minis can move in a turn, you'll be fine. But if I may assume my typical role of devil's advocate for a moment, I must point out that you'll also have to retool much of the combat & spellcasting rules to some extent, as a lot of these rules rely on the square grid, such as using the grid intersections as the target point for spells, deciding who is affected by line spells, who is a valid target for a charge or an attack with a reach weapon, etc., any of which could make for a heated argument between DM and/or player(s) if the rule changes are not well-considered and clearly spelled out before you begin using them in play. Not saying any of these things would be that hard to refit; just that you might be creating more extra work for yourself than you bargained for. You may find it's easier to simply accept the abstraction that is D&D's square grid. At first I sort of thought the square grid was a bit limiting too, but eventually I decided that the extra work in changing the rules to get rid of it was more of a pain than just living with it.

This is all just my 2cp; the fact it didn't work out that way for my group certainly doesn't mean that this kind of change isn't the right choice for your campaign.

But I expect it will give you more headaches than placing your campaign in a Middle-Eastern-like setting will. Good luck!

Kang

Just curious, but what would people do with Reptus? Lizardman stats but they need something extra.

RM

Just curious, but what would people do with Reptus? Lizardman stats but they need something extra.

RM

That's where the fluff part would come in.

I'd probably use Yuanti for a lot of the stats though since they are already a fairly well evolved reptilian species.

A few Edges and Hindrances and you're off and running with Savage Worlds. You could have a blast playing in the Taltos setting with that game, and it would be very simple to do.

I can't stay in the lines no matter what the system, so the grid's just out for me.

Are you using the grid of D&D or inches?

Also, does anyone know where I can find information on other countries in Adon, should the PCs decide to leave Taltos?

Really, the D&D movement is just based on inches. A move rat eof 6 suares is just 6". You can easily just use a ruler and it works fine. We often do it that way in outdoor encounters, where we use large felt mats as a base (I have a green one for grass or woods, and a light blue one for stone, ice, water, etc). I then add different terrain effects to the felt (trees, towers, buildings, hills, etc).

The original Reaper game (pre-Warlord) has details for all of the continent of Adon (sp?). I believe it is called Dark Heaven Legends, but I could be wrong. I have a copy, but just actually packed it away. The game itself was lacking compared to what Warlord seems to be, but one of the books describes each of the nations, regions, organizations, etc of Adon. It had a good bit of detail, using ot set up a campaign world would be a cinch. I got my copy on eBay a couple of years ago for $10-15, there should probably still be some listed there or vintage gaming sites, like Noble Knight or such.

Maybe Reaper would consider making pdfs of the books available for downloads for folks who want more info on Adon. They're certainly not getting any profit from the orginal game any longer.