For my Stone Spirit and Lesser Elemental, I went out into the back yard, scruffed up a patch of dirt, and picked up whatever rocks I found. I tried to keep them around 1" or less for the Spirit, and under 1/2" for the Elemental. Then I glued them using hot glue into a more or less man-shaped pose, and there you go! Free scratch-built models. I should take pictures and post them... maybe someday.

Hey all,

New to this forum. I'm reading these replies and there are a few units many people mention that don't see any models for.

Valana, Forgemaiden, Sergeant

Skadi, Half-Goddess, Unq. Hero

Daughters of Skadi, Adept

Forgemaidens, Adept

Valkyries, Adept

Are these models discontinued or are DHL models being used?

Thanks

Those you mentioned are actually models yet to be made. But, you can bet they will be made by the end of the year. The datacards tend to come out before the models. Not always, but generally.

Thanks to Shane at the Krystal Keep in Dayton, OH, my friend and I were able to learn the basics of Warlord. We were there until the store closed (Shane will tell you it was because of all the questions I asked *Smiles*), and we were unable to leave with a suggested army list to use for our continued learning. I plan on playing dwarves and my friend has previously purchased some reptus models. Any chance someone might be willing to offer a suggestion for two 1000 point armies which we can use to play each other, and can use when playing others?

I have a pack of shieldmaidens (6) and piercers (6) so an army which can make use of those would be nice. During our demo, Shane had me use the griffon and my friend used something I will hereinafter call the "iron cow". After some review of the dwarf list, I think I might be more comfortable with the lesser earth elemental than the griffon, but, again, looking for suggestions.

Thanks to Shane at the Krystal Keep in Dayton, OH, my friend and I were able to learn the basics of Warlord. We were there until the store closed (Shane will tell you it was because of all the questions I asked *Smiles*), and we were unable to leave with a suggested army list to use for our continued learning. I plan on playing dwarves and my friend has previously purchased some reptus models. Any chance someone might be willing to offer a suggestion for two 1000 point armies which we can use to play each other, and can use when playing others?

I have a pack of shieldmaidens (6) and piercers (6) so an army which can make use of those would be nice. During our demo, Shane had me use the griffon and my friend used something I will hereinafter call the "iron cow". After some review of the dwarf list, I think I might be more comfortable with the lesser earth elemental than the griffon, but, again, looking for suggestions.

Wow...1,000 points. I haven't played that small of a game in quite a while. I'm used to playing 1,500 points which you gives you much more flexibility, but does take longer to play. But, just using the models you suggested, I came up with this list:

Freya Fangbreaker

6 Shieldmaidens

Standard Bearer

Musician

Tohil Steadyhand

5 Piercers

Musician

Lesser Earth Elemental

Totals: 1,000 Points, 14 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Init Cards

No, this army does not have a lot of models in it. Yes, this army will dish out pain in a major way. Your friend will learn to fear the maidens and Elemental. Oh yes... :devil:

However, this style of army is typical of something I would play, so of course I whole heartedly approve. ::D: Once you get more comfortable with the game, be sure and branch out into the other models in the Dwarf army. Another favorite of mine is the Bear Riders, but they are expensive as soldiers go. The Kneebreakers are also another personal favorite, along with the Stone Spirit. I rarely field the Griffon anymore, unless I just absolutely feel the need to have a flyer. I'd rather have burrowers (hello Miners :wub:). Again, that is personal preference, and not any statement of "Model X sucks." Well, except for maybe the mages/clerics. For the life of me, I can not get those monkeys to pay for themselves. EVER!! :grr: So, if you can work one of them in and get it to do something, please let me know what you did. I have been playing this game (and the Dwarves) for almost 4 years and have yet to get them to do crap for me. :grr:

Anyways, that is my two cents on an army. Enjoy! ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

Wow...1,000 points. I haven't played that small of a game in quite a while. I'm used to playing 1,500 points which you gives you much more flexibility, but does take longer to play.

Is 1500 a pretty standard size? I was under the impression (not sure why) that 1000 was "the norm".

But, just using the models you suggested, I came up with this list:

Freya Fangbreaker

6 Shieldmaidens

Standard Bearer

Musician

Tohil Steadyhand

5 Piercers

Musician

Lesser Earth Elemental

Totals: 1,000 Points, 14 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Init Cards

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Also, the army didn't have to only be the models I already own (cost for this game is not really an issue for me).

I don't want to be a bother, but any thoughts on a good reptus army to match against this one? We want to have fun which means neither of us wants to get frustrated. *Smiles*

Wow...1,000 points. I haven't played that small of a game in quite a while. I'm used to playing 1,500 points which you gives you much more flexibility, but does take longer to play.

Is 1500 a pretty standard size? I was under the impression (not sure why) that 1000 was "the norm".

"Norms" are completely locational. Some areas, like where WildBill plays, regularly play 1500+ points. Other areas, 1000 points is the norm. All depends on the preferences of the players in an area. I personally prefer smaller games, because I can play two 1000 point games in an evening instead of one 1500 point game.

I know another popular option is to play 1500, but require a Warlord (normally not required until 1501+). Requiring a high-point model like a Warlord makes a 1500 point games typically feel like a smaller game.

That said, 1000 point games are the best to start with as you build up your collection. Once you get a feel for your army and what other models you would want in it, play a few 1200-1250 games, then finally 1500. They will indeed feel different, and everyone's preferences for those differences are... different. ::D:

Rhose, the dwarf grunts are fantastic and you really won't go wrong with them. The Warriors, Halberdiers and Swiftaxes are all right around 40 points. They're the cheapest dwarves that are still totally hardcore (there are some dwarves in the lower 30 point range that are good in their role, so don't discount them if they're your thing) - lots of damage tracks, decent or good DV, and solid on the attack. One of the things I often end up doing is getting so caught up in the amazing-ness that is the Dwarf adepts that I forget all about the grunts! So then I'll play an all-grunt army and I'll be blown away by how the rank and file kicks so much butt! Since Dwarves are so expensive, you'll nearly always be outnumbered (incidentally, since your friend is playing Reptus this will be less of a problem for you since Reptus tend to be pretty expensive as well). Using a fair number of grunts can help to lessen that problem somewhat.

I'd suggest picking up a pack of Warriors and Halberdiers. They're an excellent combination with warriors in front and Halberdiers giving them reach support. You can also use Halberdiers on the front line as they have First Strike to take enemies down a peg before they get to whack you. Actually in some situations I think the Halberdiers are one of the best models we have. Warriors are better against a ranged opponent, but halberdiers have everything the warriors have except for the shield. Personally I like a good mix of the two.

Swiftaxes are also a nice model to have in an army as they blend in point-wise, but have the speed advantage and hit a bit harder. Sometimes you face a high DV opponent that your warriors or halberdiers will struggle with, and the extra point of MAV on the Swiftaxe is just what you need to crack the model. Wildbill mentioned Kneebreakers, and they're the ultimate for cracking a high DV model - they're also 40 points - but they're an adept so they're confined to one troop. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

As far as building your armies so that one doesn't overpower the other - the cost formula is pretty good in Warlord and the revisions they've made in the Rage Chronicles have fixed the spells up. Any force ought to have a good chance against any other force. Granted if you take a ranged-heavy list and then play on a table that is clogged with terrain that'll put you at a bit of a disadvantage, and doing things like taking a mage and not giving it any spells is kindof silly, but for the most part you'll do fine. Remember that ganging up is a very powerful technique in warlord, so use model placement to limit an opponents access to your fancy leaders and solos, and you'll do well.

Jim is 100% correct when it comes to the power of the Dwarf grunts. I am guilty as charged in that I don't use them often enough. I find that combo of adepts that does right by me and tend to stick with it. :upside: But, for reference sake, here are a few 1,500 point armies that I have been known to roll with. ^_^

Army 1

Logrim Battlefury

5 Valkyries

Musician

Abjorn Hofkeg

5 Miners

Standard Bearer

Musician

Griffon

Hagard the Maimed

5 Kneebreakers

Standard Bearer

Musician

Valana, Forgemaiden

5 Forgemaidens

Standard Bearer

Musician

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,496 Points, 25 Models, 5 Troops, 5 Init Cards

Army 2

Fulumbar Ironhammer

4 Forgemaidens

3 Piercers

Musician

Freya Fangbreaker

Skadi, Half-Goddess + Magic Weapon

3 Shieldmaidens

4 Halberdiers

Standard Bearer

Musician

Stone Spirit

Hagard the Maimed

5 Kneebreakers

Standard Bearer

Musician

Totals: 1,499 Points, 24 Models, 4 Troops, 5 Init Cards

Army 3

Ursula + Magic Armor + Magic Weapon

Durthen, Boar Rider + Magic Armor + Magic Weapon

9 Bear Riders

Musician

Stone Spirit

Luck Stone

Totem of Battle

Totals: 1,495 Points, 12 Models, 2 Troops, 2 Init Cards

Now this last army is very fun to play and can win, but a seasoned general will beat it more often than not. However, dropping that kind of power on the table against your friend, and then thumping him/her with it at least once, that can be fun!! :devil:

Of course, you can mix and match to your heart's content. And like I said, I know what I like and tend to stick with it. You might find a combination of models that I haven't tried that works for you. I say go for it! Just because Jim and I say something is awesome doesn't make 100% true until you try it for yourself. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:

Edited by wildbill