Sign in to follow this  
Lord_Ironheart

Wotc sucks

I have a beef with WOTC....big time. Ever since they pull the licence from Ral Partha....I can no longer get their more interesting monster minis (except on ebay). WOTC started their own mini line, but what a pathetic selection they have!!! If they are going to take it away from us, at least provide us with an alternative.  I think Reaper should fill that void by producing more monster minis.

For one, Ral Partha went out of business. They were purchased by FASA, the original makers of Shadowrun and Battletech. When FASA went under a couple of years ago, the Ral Partha division was completely shut down and the Shadowrun line was sold to Wizkids, the makers Mageknight. The Ral Partha name happened to be part of that sale.

Now, from what I understand, a there are some companies that are producing Ral Partha minis:

Iron Wind Metals

Ral Partha UK

Also, Ral Partha did not have WoTC permission to produce D&D minis. It was TSR who had the deal. When TSR went under, so did the deal for the official AD&D line of minis. Since WoTC had their own mini line with Chainmail, they decided to produce their own rather than allow someone else make the money they could. How long this will occur, however, is still up in the air, as Chainmail, has had all production stopped. Rumors have it for a new Chainmail to be released, but we're still waiting for word on that as a certainty. †You can check in on the status of how WoTC is doing with D&D, their Minis, and Chainmail at their website, Wizards of the Coast Website or on their forums: And yes, I go by Aryanun at the WoTC board forums as well

As for the minis that WoTC produces, some of them are really nice, like their Black Dragon. Others are less than attractive, and in that I'll agree with you.

Personally, I've been sticking to Ebay to get my Ral Partha minis. I've had pretty good success there in getting the ones I really want.

If you want more information about Ral Partha's downfall (which I still mourn), check:

Great Website with a Comprehensive list of Ral Partha minis

Golden Demon Paintshop

Written by President of Ral Partha at the time of the writing

I always found Ral Partha faces to be pinched and too pointy to look good painted, but that's just me and my luck, I guess.  I don't mourn them too much, but some of their monsters were really really nice, yes.

OK, a couple points of order here.

1) Froschmeister, you need to look at some of the Partha minis you consider to be "pinch faced". Look for the name of the sculptor. I can almost guarantee that every one of the sculptors now works for Reaper. I'm willing to bet also that the ones you consider "pinched" are from Jim Johnson, as his faces do tend to have that look about them.

2) Aryanun, since I worked for Partha I was privy to some info on those sales that may not have been in a public announcement. The former president, Chris Bledsoe, was my direct boss and told me a lot. Apparently waht had happened was that, when Weasels Of The Cash bought TSR, they also wanted to buy Partha. However, they did not have quite enough money for that, so FASA jumped on it before TSR could build up enough capitol. In a fit of childish tantrum, WotC decided to cancel the long standing contract between Partha and TSR. They sent reps to Partha and supervised the burning of the molds. The fact that they then introduced a mini line of their own is in direct response to the idea that folks would be desperate and buy the crap that WotC decided to toss out there as a "replacement" for Partha stuff. We all see how well that went over.

3)When FASA bought Partha, they saddled PArtha with their already huge and unwieldy debt. These financial troubles eventually led to the demise of FASA, Partha being sold to WizKids, and then being sold again. WizKids did a stupid move: they shut down ALL original Partha lines and concentrated on Mage Knight Metal, aka Steaming Piles of S***. This move went over like a lead turkey. They then contacted Mike Noe and some other investors, including one of the original owners of Partha, and offered to sell.

4) And yes, Ral Partha is now known as Ironwind Metals. Mike Noe, VP when I worked for them, is now President and one of the owners.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions.

Thanks for clearing some of that up Lord_Ironheart. After piecing together about ten different stories I was still a bit far from the real story.

And I agree about your comments on WotC and WK's minis. Although a few from WotC weren't too bad.

What did you do for RP Ironheart?  The vast majority of the minis on my shelf are descendants of the late 80s - early 90s Ral Partha lines.  It would have been nice to see what they could have done when the main stream switched over to the new larger scale.  Ral was always considered to be "Old Reliable" in my neck of the woods (compared to the hard to get Grenadiers, and the "We haven't had a new mini produced in 3 years" RAFM.  IIRC, Reaper was still young in those days, and the catalouge offered Mouslings on scooters.)  :)

Definitely some nice models in RPs stock.  I didn't know they had been reborn as a different company.

THEY BURNED THE FRIGGING MOLDS!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!! WHAT ARE THEY DOING???!!!!!

Ral Partha made this erinyes (not to mention Marilith that I have heard about but never saw) I wanted for a while (which my brother got and I had no idea of its existence until I saw his) and it was EBAY and I was outbidded (sob). I hope they can make replacement molds out of existing figures.

And I mean....this is a frigging CRIME!!!! It is like destroying something that cannot be replaced! Kind of remind me about that guy in France who stole all those irreplaceable paintings from museums and his mother shredded them into pieces when the police came after him.

Thank you, Lord Ironheart, for clearing that up. It's hard to find the real story anywhere these days †:D

Morgraman: Check this link Ebay RP Marilith The Seller listed it as a "Maralith". I do a daily search for newly listed Ral Partha minis (so if you see my name on something, don't bid please !!) and I found that one yesterday. It hasn't been bid on as of this posting, and there's a Buy It Now option so if you want to pay that much so you won't be outbid, go for it. What's even better is the seller is also in Canada !!

I had heard about the destruction of the molds, but only that they had been destroyed. This is probably why some of the Ral Partha minis go for such a pretty penny.

I should buy out the ones left at my FLGS and sell them for a profit on Ebay. :laugh:

Yeah, there is ONE Ral Partha mini I'm constantly on the lookout for. †01-002 Super Hero on Super Heavy Warhorse with Axe. Base Manufacturing date is 1977. †Here's a pic:

partha_01002s.jpg

If anyone has one they're willing to sell or see it anywhere, please let me know !! †:D

(so if you see my name on something, don't bid please !!)

I feel the same way about the Ravenloft series of minis; I've been trying to complete my collection (need 14 more) but I get outbid as I refuse to pay more than double the original selling price for them.

Good God, Aryanun, you are a serious bidder! I looked on Ebay to see if we have any auctions in conflict. You must have really wanted those dragons!

Hahaha, yeah. I do †:laugh:

Generally if I really want something I make sure I get it, but if I see your name on something, or any name of someone I know, I won't bid. I don't bid against friends.

I'm lucky enough to have a job that gives me extra money every month that equals normally over $300 that I can spend however I desire.

And I desire more dragon minis.

I desire more minis...

I'm also looking for the Ral Partha Wraith (3 in the pack) blister. You can see one of them in the Ewwww thread where I posted Guen. I've lost one of them and need to replace it. Also, I want to paint them all again and see the difference between how I'd paint them now to how I painted them ages ago.

OK, a couple points of order here.

1) Froschmeister, you need to look at some of the Partha minis you consider to be "pinch faced". Look for the name of the sculptor. I can almost guarantee that every one of the sculptors now works for Reaper. I'm willing to bet also that the ones you consider "pinched" are from Jim Johnson, as his faces do tend to have that look about them.

I hope this clears up some misconceptions.

I'll have a look, yeah.  Thanks for pointing that out, by the way.  Though being ignorant and closeminded is a lot of fun, I don't enjoy it.   :p

That "MARALITH" is MINE!!!!!! But I am not going to spend $40.00 on it. I'm going to bid on it. So all of you here please BACK OFF!!!!!

Anyway, I noticed that sometimes people sell a bunch of them in "lots" at a time....especially the older ones, so you'll never know if what you might want is in the lot.

OOOOOOOH, ARYANUN!!!!!! Looky looky! *Teasingly waves the requested Ral Partha mini in front of her* I have 2 of them, complete sets of mounted and unmounted versions. Mine are the newer production for the 25th anniversary (or was it 20th?). If you're interested, message me!

This was sold in a set of 2, and is based on the Frank Frazetta painting of "The Death Dealer".

I forgot to respond to Morgramen! I painted for Partha, mainly on the BattleTech line but some of the Crimson Skies planes also (I did the masters for the first CS planes, and several others along the way). A couple of mine that you may have seen are: the master for the new Atlas mech, pictured on the Partha Paints flyer (the second flyer, not the one with that crappy looking Axeman on it), and the new Catapult mech pictured on the Draconis Combine paint set sleeve. Anyone who was at GenCon 2000 would also have seen my work at the tourny that was run with a bunch of black painted Kurita mechs, grey w/ blue and white trim Ghost Bear mechs, and black w/ flamejob Hell's Horses tanks. And if you saw the Partha painted miniature competition, you also saw a lot of my work. I was the only one to enter any of the museum scale mechs (Atlas and Zeus), and a host of BattleTech minis. I even entered my "Lord Maverick of clan Bear" that was modified with a pair of Reaper swords in place of the original halberd! Reaper Ron saw that and remarked on it *hehehe*.

Whoah! Demonweb...

yer comin' on a bit strong, especially since you haven't bid on it yet, a number of hours after you claimed it...

Is this a piece of sarcasm I see before me?

Ya might want to go a little gentler into those good fora...