Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

Mercenaries

Welcome back for another year. The rumors of war in Taltos are true. And where there is war, there is profit to be made. Commanders, gather your warriors and meet me at Port Gangrel. I've a meeting arranged with a prospective employer. Standard rates with a bonus upon completion, of course.

For historical reference, feel free to view past Faction discussion threads:

Mercenaries 2007

Port Gangrel 1.2

Just pay me what you owe me

I left Mercs, my first Warlord army, back in 2007. I played a lot of Vampires. Now after RC08, I'm back into the Mercs. I love the Ronin, never leave home without them. They hit hard and die fast. That's a cool army. The only problem with the Mercs is the lack of powerful solos. I have been Change of Hearting interesting Soldiers to balance the Ronin so if I want a Solo I have some rather weak choices. I like combat Solos, too, big monsters smashing up the enemy. Next army list I'm going to CoH the Hydra and see what happens.

I was taking a look at the Mercenary spell casters (for a secret plan to spring on my enemies :devil: ) and noticed how the evil casters can cast more powerful spells and more of them than the good casters. Since I'll be running the Mercs with my elves I have to go with neutral or good casters. Although I found a caster that will fit my need, it does seem a bit unfair for the "good" side.

Ironically, my plan is quite devilishly clever (if it works). :lol:

But I must remain secret of my plans (these are not the golems you seek), I suspect spies are about. <_<

I just tried out my new "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" cheap mercenary list. It has several of the evil casters. They are more potent. To balance it somewhat the evil side gets no archers and no grunts that aren't disposable fodder. Normally I find archery trumps magic. An all Sister's army is quite potent in all aspects, magic, h-2-h and ranged.

I also would like to see a few big solo's. I use my change of heart to get the spell casting warlord I want.

The sisters are definitly a favorite of mine, but in a bizzar twist I lead them with Rathrous. I use the Urban Legend Sophi on a giant base as a sub. It's definilty eyecatching!

The sisters are definitly a favorite of mine, but in a bizzar twist I lead them with Rathrous. I use the Urban Legend Sophi on a giant base as a sub. It's definilty eyecatching!

I've thought about using them with Uriel, whom I like because he's so powerful but not Rath sized.

I don't think you mix the Sisters in with Rauthuros. I believe that he is Evil and they are Good. :unsure:

But, I have a fun army you can take. :devil:

Boris Mingla + MA

5 Street Thugs

11 Darkthrall Cultists

Musician

Mack Hardwick + MA

3 Street Thugs

10 Darkthrall Cultists

Musician

Rod Blackreef + MA

4 Street Thugs

8 Darkthrall Cultists

Musician

Hedasaa, Cultist Leader

6 Darkthrall Cultists

Luck Stone

Totem of Battle

Totals: 1,500 Points, 51 Models, 4 Troops

:lol:

My basic idea was that the Cultists would do most of the dirty work, and the Thugs were essentially bodyguards for the leaders. Anything big comes their way and then you let their MAV 6 attacks do the talking for you. :devil:

Wild Bill :blues:

Edited by wildbill

Here's another fun 1,500 point army for you.

Istvan

5 Lupine Ragers

Nakaraat, Hydra

Haranobu

Mika

6 Okuran Ronin

Musician

Totem of Battle

Luck Stone

Totals: 1,499 Points, 15 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Init Cards

The Hydra comes courtesy of the Change of Heart rule. The Lupines come courtesy of that rule that allows you still take them as part of the Merc force. :upside:

This army is all about speed. You cannot sit back and wait for your opponent. You have to charge across the field and kick their little booties. :devil: Check out the stats on these guys, especially with the Totem addition. I guarantee you'll love it!! :wub:

I don't think you mix the Sisters in with Rauthuros. I believe that he is Evil and they are Good. :unsure:

Change of heart allows you to use Rauthuros. He becomes neutral. :devil:

Change of heart allows you to use Rauthuros. He becomes neutral. :devil:

Wow... :blink: ...that is AWESOME!!!!!!! I totally hadn't thought of that!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!! I'm going to have to use that against my friends. :devil:

New to the game and looking to make a mercenary force. I have the Rage Chronicles and have a question. On reaperGames.com, the data card center has three subfactions listed for mercs. Are these just split by alignment or are there actual FA special rules (and if so, where are they found)?

Thanks

New to the game and looking to make a mercenary force. I have the Rage Chronicles and have a question. On reaperGames.com, the data card center has three subfactions listed for mercs. Are these just split by alignment or are there actual FA special rules (and if so, where are they found)?

Thanks

Those are meaningless subfactions, rules-wise. Many Merc players will play an all-Good or all-Evil list, so we split em up for easier searching. They aren't true sublists.

Sorry for confusing ya! Welcome to the game! ::D:

A new, second edition post has been pinned, and now, this thread shall come to a close.