Welcome back for another year. War has remained a constant in Taltos, which has brought untold riches to the families of Craclaw. War equals prisoners, prisoners equal slaves, and slaves equal money. Call forth your loyal retainers and take to the field, but watch your back. The battlefield is a dangerous place. Just because Craclaw has a common enemy doesn't mean one of the families will miss the opportunity to remove a rival.

For historical reference, feel free to view the past Faction discussion threads:

Overlords 2007

Craclaw 1.2

Slave Pits of Craclaw

So, what say you to this list?

Onyx Legion 1500

Troop 1:

Gen Matisse (greater armor, greater weapon)

Arik (greater familiar - lightning blast, firestorm, lightning bolt, counterspell)

crossbowman

5x warriors

2x spearmen

Troop 2:

Vincente (greater armor)

Strach (greater familiar - 2x lighning bolt, fireball)

crossbowman

6x warriors

2x spearmen

Troop 3:

Andras

Kevis (greater familiar - lightning bolt, 2x fireball, counterspell)

crossbowman

3x warriors

2x spearmen

-------------------------------------------

3 troops, 4 cards, 1 spy, 29 models, 1499 points

Biggest weakness is that even with the greater upgrades, Strach and Kevis are only CP 7 models. Have to hope that you dont figt a lot of high MD opponents. But, if you can line them up across from each other so that ou are taking shots from each direction from different troops then you should be able to get some decent numbers of enemy models in the AOE.

Hey, Stubbdog. This looks like a fairly solid list overall, but there are two comments/questions that immediately came to mind:

1. This list would also be legal as an Overlords default. While Hunter's Edge is a cool ability, I'm not sure that it is superior to Do Your Duty. Also, not only do you give up what I see as better faction SAs, but you are not really playing to the strengths of the Onyx Legion with this build. Onyx Phalanx become grunts in the Legion, so it seems like a waste to not use them in at least two troops. They're perfect for having a wall for your crossbowmen men to hide behind and shoot from that's nearly impervious to ranged attacks. You can really just sit back and make your opponent come to you using this tactic. However, your build includes no Phalanx and only three crossbowmen. To sum up, it seems that by using this list, you are sacrificing larger model selection and better faction SAs only to gain the Hunter's Edge SA.

2. What is the purpose of having a mounted leader leading a troop of foot soldier? This isn't really a criticism so much as asking out of curiosity. I have toyed with the idea before, but I've never done it; even if I have infantry in a troop that is lead by a mounted leader, the main role of that troop is to be cavalry (the infantry are there for support or to make it a dual-purpose troop). I'd be interested in knowing if using a mounted leader in this fashion has proved beneficial.

A10,

Answering the second question first. I could care less if it is mounted or not. He had a high DV and high MAV. That is the only reason.

Second question. After sinking nearly 500 points into 3 mages, and then another 300 in the two main leaders, that already took up way too many soldier slots. So, even though phalanx are great, I went with numbers instead. And since the warrior still have DV12, i am going with the idea that the mages and crossbows are going to be able to help a little before the MAV 4 (5 after reach support) soldiers come into play. It may not work, but that was the idea. That is also why there are no othr horsey riders included in the list.

As for faction FAs. I guess I just disagree with you here. Hunter's Edge can be one of the most powerful FAs in the game depending on the number of troops your enemy has. While, personally, I think Do your Dtuy is one of the worst FAs in the game. If Do your dtuy ever loosens up and works in more situations or transfers more damage than it does, then maybe, but as it is now, i dont even know that I will ever use it at all.

Ok, here is a VoK list

Troop 1:

Andras

Ranthe

Moraia

crossbowman

6x Daughters of the whip

Troop 2:

Andras

Ranthe

Moraia

7x Daughters of the whip

Troop 3:

Lorena (book of tactics)

Moraia

7x Daughters of the whip

------------------------------------------

3 troops, 4 cards, 29 models, 1500 points exact.

Weakness is low init card count, low MAVs, low DVs.

Strength is just about everyone has disable.

So, as long as they get to attack first then they could mak it interesting.

The biggest disadvantage of the Onyx Legion is they have no healers and need to hit first and hit hard . At 1500 points and only 4 initiative cards , I think you'll be at a disadvantage there because there will be lots of lists with more cards . Need more troops or maybe a solo or 2 IMHO .

Stubb: Have you read Do your Duty? It has loosened up substantially, allowing you to shuck a wound in any situation (Not just defensive strikes), and not only that but once per action phase which means every time any troop activates this ability re-sets I see this as really being critical in keeping your important models from suffering those often devastating first points of damage that can soften a model up and lead to its downfall.

Don't get me wrong, hunters edge is nice as well (And I think you are right, under the proper circumstances it can be brutally effective).

Given the potency of Fearsome these days I'd probably have to say I prefer the notion of Do Your Duty + Fear the Whip, especially since I love firing my ranged weapons into close-combat which makes that +2 Dis is really appealing.

I actually would have liked to have seen the Legion get a small weakish extra faction ability to go along side the Hunters edge, I'm not sure why they couldn't have Fear the Whip more as part of a crack military unit that have been drilled using corporal punishment to the point of having Iron Will and determination, as opposed to actually being afraid of their leaders.

Regarding Do Your Duty. My first thought was to use Bond Slaves or Bondslave survivors as a sort of healing that my leaders could tap into. Then I realized that the warriors actually pay less per DT than Bondslaves and survivors and thus are better for the task. On top of that they are actually pretty good in close combat too.

I was thinking about this exact thing the other day, I agree totally, I would be shucking the points to warriors as well without question. Less points per damage track, and a heck of a lot more useful if damaged.

Bondslaves in my mind are there just to fill mob slots and bolster numbers, but given how cheap the Overlords mainstay troops are (not to mention their high quality) it is tough to argue with using them nearly exclusively as the foundation of an army foregoing Bondslaves entirely.

I'm re-arranging my pewter in anticipation of RCon and trade-in value. I've got two Onyx Golems that may or may not hit the melt bucket.

Pros and cons of keeping these bad boys?

well i guess it comes down to hoe much you play with overlords and golems. that and if you found any other reaper model that you like better for proxying.

Personally, i really like teh golem in the game, but i dont care so much for that particular sculpt all that much. so, i take advantage of the proxy rules accordingly..

OK - so I finally figured out that I should buy the kinds of troops that appeal to me so I have the chance to play around with my army instead of trying to build one or two and just buy those models. I'm a little dense at times.

So, here's my current list of have/buy. Please review and let me know if I'm missing out on anything tasty.

name			modeltype	productcode	Qty	Desired	Purchase	   
Daughter of the Whip	Adept		14368			0	   
Onyx Chevalier		Adept		14177		4	4	0	   
Onyx Phalanx		Adept		14391			0	   
Onyx Zephyr		Adept		14282		5	5	0	   
Shadow Legionnaire	Adept				0	   
Andras			Captain		14147		1	1	0	   
Count Lorenth		Captain		14258		1	1	0	   
Merack			Captain		14283			0	   
Thurion, Blackguard 	Captain		DHL 3158			0	   
Vincente, Chevalier 	Captain		14440			0	   
Balthon			Cleric		14035		1	1	0	   
Ranthe			Cleric		14284		1	1	   
Bondslave		Grunt		14412			0	   
Bondslave Survivor	Grunt		14374			0	   
Overlord Crossbowmen	Grunt		14400		5	5	   
Overlord Spearmen	Grunt		14413		3	5	2	   
Overlord Warrior	Grunt		14360		14	14	0	   
Moraia, Warbride	Hero		14128			0	   
Rogran Uthresect	Hero		14286			0	   
Soriel, Pit Fighter	Hero		14288			0	   
Ymrilix the False	Hero		14004		1	1	   
Arik Gix, Inquisitor	Mage		14127			0	   
Kevis			Mage		14124		1	1	   
Strach			Mage		14287			0	   
Bile, the Wyvern	Monster		14260			0	   
Incarnation of Flame	Monster		14264			0	   
Mageguard Golem		Monster		DHL 3204			0	   
Onyx Golem		Monster		14122		1	1	0	   
Xailor			Monster		14265			0	   
Lola Darkslip		Rogue		14020		1	1	   
Corvus			Sergeant	14091		1	1	   
Iks			Sergeant	14057			0	   
Lorena of the Whip	Sergeant	14259			0	   
Taletia			Sergeant	14285			0	   
Selthak the Poisoner	Solitaire	14266		1	1	   
Ashkrypt		Warlord		14003			0	   
General Matisse		Warlord		14267		1	1	   
Marquise Zora d'Arengo	Warlord		14268			0

And here's my Onyx Legion sub-faction out of those models.

name			modeltype	productcode	Quantity
Onyx Chevalier		Adept		14177		4
Onyx Phalanx		Adept		14391		0
Onyx Zephyr		Adept		14282		5
Count Lorenth		Captain		14258		1
Merack			Captain		14283		0
Vincente, Chevalier 	Captain		14440		0
Ymrilix the False	Hero		14004		1
Kevis			Mage		14124		1
Strach			Mage		14287		0
Xailor			Monster		14265		0
General Matisse		Warlord		14267		1

I think you need at least one more Corvus (maybe 2 or 3), and Merack makes it into almost all of my Onyx Legion lists. He has good stats, plus Tactician. When combined with Hunter's Edge, models with Spy, Tactician or Summoned help control the initiative deck and dictate terms of battle to your opponent. Don't forget Bile either; he supports the cavalry nicely, and vice versa.

~v

Thanks Shak. A few more added to my buy list. My pile of trade-in blisters and melt isn't looking so excessive now...

For me, Andras and Merack would make the list. Andras is one of the cheapest captains in the game, and the fact that he is not unique and can take two elites I tend to use multiples of him more than even a single Merack. But, I like Merack too.

Overlords have cheap elites overall. They are not power houses, but they tend to be above the adepts for only a few chips more.

For me, I tend to mix and match elites in my builds based on what my mood is, but the fact that their elites are usually cheaper than other factions, makes it a little easier to plug them in without drastically changing my soldier portion of my builds.