Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

Overlords

Thinking on it some more, I guess teh elites that I use most tend to be:

Strach (with a familiar)

Arik (with a familiar)

Ymirilix

Those three ause they are in the onyx legion list.

But, I also like:

Balthon

Rogran

Moraia

And now that Selthak can use his champion skill and be an elite with a warlord, I basically consider him an elite too. Its the only way I will use him. He was a favorite back before 2007 changes. Unfortunately, he is only worth using still when fielded as a champion.

Of course

Kevis

Ranthe

are both cheap non unique casters too that come in handy depending on your build style. With Ranthe having healer, you can plop one in each troop.

Soriel is probably the only one i wouldnt use, only cause the cost between Soriel and the Phalanx warriors is minima but the phalanx have a much better DV.

So for the RCon Warlord tourney I built my O'lords list to test the new, more useful "DO Your Duty" FA. My thoughts were that for this to make sense the leader/elite models must be significantly more expensive and have better DV than the models you transfer damage to.

As mentioned earlier the best points/DT rate is actually not the cheap bondslaves or survivors but rather the warriors. So my first plan was to always keep a warrior in B2B with all leaders/elites. After discussing this with Shakandara though it became apparent that using spearmen would probably work better since they provide the same reach support even when wounded and the points/DT rate is also pretty low.

So the list I came up with had expensive leaders (Matisse, Blackguard Captain and Merack) and lots of warriors and spearmen. I think it worked out well actually since in all my games I only lost one leader (Merack). I think it would work even better in "to the death" scenarios too.

Overall Default O'lords got a lot more attractive with RC08 IMO.

Another thing I tried out was Xailor. I had pretty low expectations but he actually did pretty well, fearsome definitely helps cancel out the problems associated with being a solo. I will be bringing him along in the future.

I'm looking to expand my O'lords in a few months and have been thinking about going the Onyx Legion route. Right now I only have the the old starter box so have a number of purchases ahead of me. Do yall have any suggestions on where to start with the Onyx Legion? I was thinking about starting with a troop of Onyx Phalanx followed by some Onyx Chevaliers.

One way to go with the Legion is to focus on initiative domination. Merack has Tactician and is non-unique in the Legion. Shakandara has used a Legion army with as many Merack + spearmen troops and added captains as needed to make the build legal. Matisse also has Tactician and if you add a captain you can get him the Tactician item.

If you're lucky you can make an "initiative flip" between turn 2 and 3 and effectively give all your troops two activations in a row with no enemy activations in between.

Edited by vejlin

One way to go with the Legion is to focus on initiative domination. Merack has Tactician and is non-unique in the Legion. Shakandara has used a Legion army with as many Merack + spearmen troops and added captains as needed to make the build legal. Matisse also has Tactician and if you add a captain you can get him the Tactician item.

Isn't Merack already captain? All you'd need would be Matisse after the second Captain.

If you're lucky you can make an "initiative flip" between turn 2 and 3 and effectively give all your troops two activations in a row with no enemy activations in between.

I thought each troop can only activate once per turn. So when you pull a card after all your troops have activated the card is ignored you draw the next card.

Once thing I was thinking was a 1k point force with a couple of troops of phalanxes with crossbows and a troop of Chevaliers to execute a flanking maneuver. What I'm running up against though is that to field phalanxes in what I would think to be a useful amount becomes point-cost prohibitive. Of course the Chevy's aren't cheap either, but I want the first strike ability.

That brings up another question. Are the Chevaliers effective when used as outriders? Since they are Adepts, if I use a Chevy as an outrider he counts as his own troop, so I wouldn't be able to take another as an outrider unless I was playing in a 2k point or larger game. Right?

Another thing I was thinking was using Kevis with each non-mounted troop and giving him counterspell. Would that be worthwhile.

Ooops you're right about Merack being a captain. Still you can bring as many as you want if you also bring a warlord.

yeah each troop can only activate once. The idea is to leave all your tactician cards out in turn 2 hoping to go last, and then putting them in on turn 3 hoping to go first. The result is two activations in a row without the enemy getting to activate. Turn 2 and 3 are usually the most critical since it's usually where you have the initial combat happening. It means you'll have your whole army do two activations at his army without him being able to do anything in return. Once he gets to activate, his troops have been hit twice and hopefully he won't be able to recover.

The initiative flip can be further helped along if you have summonable solos in your army.

I've not used cavalry much so I can't help you there. Kevis with counterspell is a good idea if your enemy brings AOE spells, though spreading out works well also without costing points.

For me and the onyx list is all about chevies and xbows

1500 example:

Troop 1: (6, 261)

Matisse (lesser weapon)

2x O warriors

3x O spearmen

Troop 2: (8, 559)

Vincente

4x Chevies

3x zephyrs

Troop 3: (9, 461)

Merack

8x Xbows

Troop 4: (6, 215)

Merack

2x O warriors

3x O spearmen

extra:

Luck stone

-------------------------------------------

4 troops, 7 cards, 1 spy, 29 models, 1499 points

As long as you can keep your opponents at arms length, those ranked xbow can mow people down with their critical shots that do 2 points each hit. Chevies can shock charge enemies, using the zephyrs to tag team and give support and give them better hitting power.

The two foot squads to help give cover to the xbows.

If you didnt care so much about tacticians, you could downgrade Matisse to one of the Meracks to Corvus and probably squeeze in another troop of Corvus and 4 warrriors (to go up to 34 models)

OK, so is it better to have more or less models in a troop. Is there a point where the addition of another model doesn't provide enough benefit to the troop to not start another troop?

That is also kinda a hard question to answer. It mainly depends on the scenario played and what type of troops you are talking about..

Typically I like to have about 6-8 models in a troop. But there are times to have mor and times to have less. You cant make a single troop too powerful, so adding more models to a troop is almost never a bad decision. But, the down side is, less troops, less chance you have for your card to be the next card flip. Also, since damage doesnt take affect til the end of the attack, more troops means you get to try and take advantage of another troops damage they caused. But, the upside is, a huge mob of minis in a single troop can scare opponents into doing things they dont normally do. Because when it is your turn, you have a ton of firepower in one shot.

Having a ton of minimum sized troops means that you might get a lot of init cards and a good chance to go first and or multiple times between each enemy card. Which can be a great thing if the scenario calls for something like that. But, the downside is, that if you have a small troop then even if you do get two card flips in a row, you are not able to do as much much with each individually (ie the situation where you have a troop of 4 guys that has to try and decide how to attack the enemy with a 9-10 model troop).

My success rate has gone up since the troop capacity was raised. I always max out my troops, but usually with warriors and spearmen. A typical troop will have 3 spearmen and 5-8 warriors (5 for a sergeant, 7 for a captain and 8 for a warlord). Sometimes I replace 1 or 2 warriors with xbows.

It works for me, but there are certainly other ways of doing it, I see lots of people using smaller troops.

I think that if your troopers have more staying power, then you really have no need to try to gain an initiative advantage. Who cares if you get charged? You'll take it on the chin and then pound them when your card does come up. However if your troopers are more fragile, you'll probably end up wanting more of an initiative advantage, so you can try to get the jump on your opponent.

Obviously there's other factors, like the amount of range or magic, that play into it. If you're playing heavy on the cavalry side of things, as you can with Overlords, then by virtue of your speed you can dictate the terms of the engagement and initiative isn't too big of a deal.

The people who are saying "it can go both ways" are right on though. I've found that initiative is a nice feature you can build in to support the plan you have for your army, but I rarely set out to build either a high or low initiative army.

A new, second edition post has been pinned, and now, this thread shall come to a close.