Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

Reptus

So, which models would you guys suggest to bulk out my forces?

Right now I only have the 9 warriors that came in the starter and 3 archers, and that is it for grunts.

I do have a full box set of the Gaan-hor warriors coming soon though.

What do you guys field specifically for fodder? Clutchlings seem a bit expensive for this role.

The dragon turtle is a definite have once the thing is released. ( we kind of have a "no proxies" rule amongst our group)

well, the good part is, you really dont have to use anything as straight fodder. Yes, anytime you play against elves you are going to have to expect some "travel time" losses trying to get across the field to them.

Gaan-hors when they get there will definitely help.

As for suggestions, there is no wrong suggestion. I think it really comes down to getting a mix of several. a couple of these, a few of those, etc... Personally, my current favorites are probably longstrikes and raptors. A week ago I would have said skull breakers and coatl. The venomspitters are good too since they have defensive shot and poison to boot.

After you have built up some more inventory you could go with a nagendra list where everything gets deflect/2 and immune to those centaur's first strike.

There is an older dragon turtle model available in the boneyard as a substitute until the new one arrives, but I don't care for the sculpt much. As for what to get... get whatever you want, as Jason says. A mix to start might be a good plan, rather than buying army blisters. You may find that you favor one model over another and really don't want 9 or 10 of them. Grab a couple of Breakers, a couple Spikeshells, a couple Longstrikers, some Clutchlings, etc., and play around with them. See what you like and go from there.

~v

Do you guys find using a standard bearer and musician in your troops worth the points? I'm thinking the extra movement granted by the musician might be good( it has never made sense to me that lizards and snakes are the same speed as a human :rolleyes: ).

what models would you use? Would you just convert some reptus warriors accordingly?

Does anyone know if there are plans to release a standard and musician model for the rest of the factions?

What I have found ovre time is that since I tend to put musicians or standards on different models all the time, I am just fine with the fact that no "official" sculpt ever came out. As long as I just mark my special models in some way ( I put sticky tack or wrap a lasso on them) it is easy enough to keep track of them and its not permanent.

And with any question the answer is it depends on who you are facing and what the objective of the game is. When fighting against the elves or darkspawn with their 30 inch ranges, yes, getting across the table as quickly as possible is very important. But when going up against some of the other factions speed is not necessarily as important.

When going up against nefsokar or anyone that brinsg some of those big nasty solos and all of their fearsomes, the standards are important.

But, of course there are times when thye dont do you much good either. One thing i can say is that even when its a good thing, its not usually a good thing to try and load them on every troop. Just have to figure out what each troop's main function is and assign those troop equipments appropriately.

Would you just convert some reptus warriors accordingly?

That's what I did. I took the Warrior model with the sword raised over his head, twisted some thin wire, removed the sword, drilled both hands, threaded the wire through the haands, Made a "plank" and connected it to the upper end of the wire, and bent the wire to suggest a twiling movment. Instant Bull roarer.

I'll try and get a picture up to show you.

I'd love to see some standard bearer examples if youve got them.

Well, I ran a dragon turtle for the first time today, and man he was awesome. He killed a griffon(twice because of cure) and held up an earth elemental and Logan for two turns and in his dying rage he put 4 wounds on Logan.

I've got to figure out where he will be the most optimal, but I'm pretty sure he will go in every game I play now.

On a side note, I was wondering if anybody knows what the Brood of payanak are supposed to be. Are they baby dragons or maybe dragon riders? From the SA's I cant really determine what the models are actually going to look like.

The brood are two stage dragon riders. The current brood are land dragon riders, while the Broodmaster is riding on the fully mature flying dragon. The future possibilities of maybe having more mature flyers in th efaction, but i guess only time will tell if that happens.

Well, that particular answer I can give because, yes, I was one of the people that helped develop the concept behind them.

But i acn also say that there is a lot more to the final product than simply my concept. Even though i drew and turned in some rough sketches of what I would like to see them look like, you will notice that there are no pictures of Reaper Logos over there under my name. I am simply a Black Lightning member that got an opportunity to help out some.

Reaper has their artists and will come up with their own final design (one that I am sure will be more miniature mold friendly than my version). And it may not look anything like mine.

We will all just have to wait and see.

I just put together Nakaraat. That is definitly one beefy model. I love it. I noticed that mine didn't come with a base but I had an extra laying around. What caught my attention then was... He dwarfs the base! his feet overlap the edge and his head(s) and tail are both low to the ground and they extend far fron the edges. Has any one else played with this model? It would seem to make figure placement in close combat difficult.

Unfortunately, Reptus in general does have a big problem with this. I personally have taken to increasing the height of my models on their bases. Some more than others. But, in the end, a lot of compromises and friendly exceptions between players related to declaring what is in btb is a must when reptus players are involved.

Yup, for instance I just played a game inolving Cuoatl, and while I love the sculpts their wing span is a problem. I wondered why they have such big beutiful wings when all they do is hover.

Lately I've been having trouble keeping my Dragon turtle alive long enough to do anything good.

What I was wondering is, does anybody have any good tactics for keeping large based models from getting swarmed?

I love the look of the turtle and Hydra on the board, but as of right now it seems that just taking a whole bunch more grunts would be more efficient and cost effective.

Help me keep my monsters alive! ::D: