Sign in to follow this  
Qwyksilver

Reptus

Lately I've been having trouble keeping my Dragon turtle alive long enough to do anything good.

What I was wondering is, does anybody have any good tactics for keeping large based models from getting swarmed?

I love the look of the turtle and Hydra on the board, but as of right now it seems that just taking a whole bunch more grunts would be more efficient and cost effective.

Help me keep my monsters alive! ::D:

I would take a troop of Rangers, because they have Ranger. Keep them out front but with a space big enough for you dragon or hydra to slip into each round. You could also use cuoatl they can move 42" in the first round with ranger, with anything that fast your monster should never get swarmed. You could also use the fliers to screen the monsters and land as the enemy closed in. I am not a big fan of monsters because they are big targets and get swarmed easily. Some people do very well with them. I do not. I fair better with ranged solos or casting monsters like the Dark Maiden.

It doesn't even need to be fliers. Keep another troop of models nearby, and keep your solo behind it until you are ready to engage on your terms. A common mistake with "big models" is to rush them off into combat without support, which usually just ends in the situation you are describing where the solo gets swarmed and killed quickly. If you view the solo as a finishing punch instead of a first strike, you'll find that they can be brutally effective. I've had many games where I've used the turtle to close in on units that are already engaged and mop up, leaving a complete or nearly-completely unharmed turtle, free to move on to the next unit and stomp some more butt. Eventually, your opponent may start over-committing resources to take your turtle out, which still works out ok; if he brings a large amount of models to take down the turtle, that leaves you at an advantage elsewhere on the table.

~v

I will have to try your meat shield tactics out sometime. I really like the idea of dropping flyers in the way.

Thanks for the help.

I'll let you know how I fare.

Just to clarify, flyers cannot shield a grounded solo, unless they are also grounded. If a model is flying then it does not impede other models from getting to the solo.

The benefit of flyers is that they tend to be very quick and they are usually not obstructed from getting to land in those "secret service body guard" positions.

It doesn't even need to be fliers. Keep another troop of models nearby, and keep your solo behind it until you are ready to engage on your terms. A common mistake with "big models" is to rush them off into combat without support, which usually just ends in the situation you are describing where the solo gets swarmed and killed quickly. If you view the solo as a finishing punch instead of a first strike, you'll find that they can be brutally effective. I've had many games where I've used the turtle to close in on units that are already engaged and mop up, leaving a complete or nearly-completely unharmed turtle, free to move on to the next unit and stomp some more butt. Eventually, your opponent may start over-committing resources to take your turtle out, which still works out ok; if he brings a large amount of models to take down the turtle, that leaves you at an advantage elsewhere on the table.

~v

I've seen that mistake a lot recently. I use the big monsters with a screening force all the time and it works very well.

A new, second edition post has been pinned, and now, this thread shall come to a close.