You know, that countdown widget thingee on the home page.......

haldir

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even look at it, but I'm still counting the days.

Vacations are always great, but ReaperCon gets me about as far from work and real world troubles as I can get. And I really need a break from real world troubles right now.

Salt in the wound. Salt I say!!

Color me jealous, but I wish all of you attenders a great and safe time - I'll shoot for next year if'n I'm still painting.

I am, however, using that clock to mark off the days till I can buy an extry con-Sophie or two ::):

:mellow::rock::huh:::o::blink::wacko:

I'm never going to get done in time... There may not be time for a pink and purple unicorn with paisley butterfly wings... or there might only be time for it.. The way my entry minis are fighting me, I'm about to toss in the towel. <_<

<sings to Helltown> "Don't stop...believin'....

<flings virtual towel into the ring>

Everything's fighting me... Can't prep well enough, can't get primer to stick, can't get a base coat on smooth, can't get highlights that aren't chalky, and my favorite paint seems to have curled up and died... Not entering this year unless by some miracle I get something to go right between now and ReaperCon.

At least I know I tried.. I tried hard.

Everything's fighting me... Can't prep well enough, can't get primer to stick, can't get a base coat on smooth, can't get highlights that aren't chalky, and my favorite paint seems to have curled up and died... Not entering this year unless by some miracle I get something to go right between now and ReaperCon.

Don't give up! We all have times when we feel that way! I had a similar fight with the first mini I tried to paint for RC... Talk about pulling out your hair! Eventually I wanted to throw the freaking thing across the room. Then my husband said "so why don't you paint something different?". I wasn't sure I had the time to start all over after having invested so much time in the other one, but it is turning out 300% better than the first attempt. I'm glad I listened to him!

Maybe you should just give up on that particuar mini... It sounds like you have gotten to the point where you hate that fig. If you don't like to look at it you are not going to paint it well, so stop struggling with something you have grown to hate and move on. Take a deep breath, select a new one and start over fresh. Choose one that "talks to you", one that inspires you.

Never give up... Never surrender!

:lol:

Keep moving forward! (right fist punches high in the air)

C'mon you can do it! If it was easy to do this, god wouldn't have invented bad hair days. It builds character and strong bones, um, strong...uh...fortitude! So you rolled a 1, if you don't roll again you'll never get a 20!

And I'm out of pep talk phrases now, but I'm sure more will come. That said, I keep plugging away at my own entry.

Oh. one more...last night as skya despaired of ever finishing her piece in time, I decided that everyone trying to enter should cease to think of "is my mini done" and start to think "whatever state it's in when the deadline hits, is it!" Enter it anyway. :-) Just finished the sculpting? Highlight the green stuff and enter it anyway! Even if it's not done, make your attituude that, no matter what, this lump of stuff in your hands IS your entry!

So get off the computer and work more on your entry! We still have plenty of time to finish something! Not sure? Paint a familiar! Pink, purple and teal unicorn baby with a butterfly tattoo. It's wayyyy too early for towel throwing!

Not to Hop Off topic, Sue, but how does it look in person? I haven't gotten mine yet...

Ahh...(looking to both sides, twisting quick to look behind...all clear)...the widget you speak of, safley hidden from prying birthday man eyes, is very cool! Came well packed and looks nice!

My suggestion: Take the mini, drop it in some simple green, and let is soak for a few days. That way, all your paint, primer, and mould release will break free, and you can start over. If your highlights are chalky, your primer may be a bit thick, and/or lumpy, and your paint coverage may require more layers. The suggestion earlier, to "step away from the mini" is a good one. Go paint something else...go fishing...go do something else, but get away from that particular model. Frustrated painting leads to disasters. I have one "mini" I set down for 2 years because I was fed up with it. By the time I got done, it was better than I could have hoped (at the time), and actually made it onto GW's Grand Tournament home page.

Also, keep in mind that half the entries this year at Rcon will probably be drying as they are being judged. I've been painting 30 hours a week for a month and I finally have one almost completed, another 75% done, and another 40% done. I probably won't even get to my 4th entry.

Relax...it's a beautiful day...fire up the grill, have a beer, and kick back. Sometimes forcing yourself NOT to paint builds anticipation and excitement, and your models turn out better for it.