You know, that countdown widget thingee on the home page.......

haldir

Don't give up! We all have times when we feel that way! I had a similar fight with the first mini I tried to paint for RC... Talk about pulling out your hair! Eventually I wanted to throw the freaking thing across the room. Then my husband said "so why don't you paint something different?". I wasn't sure I had the time to start all over after having invested so much time in the other one, but it is turning out 300% better than the first attempt. I'm glad I listened to him!

... I did throw it across the room.. twice in fact. I went over picked it up after the first time, tried to sort out how to fix the problem and threw it again. A non-Rcon mini flew the same flight path (dinged the drywall too, Warlord Crusader minis at high velocity will do that apparently) when it decided to vex me as I tried to take a break. It's still behind the sports card pack rack. Another mini got slammed into the ground because I didn't want to ding the drywall again. First time I've lost my temper painting... the hobby that usually relaxes me.

So... I might find something to paint between now and ReaperCon, but not for the contest. I think having removed the pressure of "Oh no it's X days 'til ReaperCon and I don't have anything for the painting contest" from myself, I might be able to focus on enjoying myself a little more.

So get off the computer and work more on your entry! We still have plenty of time to finish something! Not sure? Paint a familiar! Pink, purple and teal unicorn baby with a butterfly tattoo. It's wayyyy too early for towel throwing!

I thought it was supposed to be purple and pink with paisley butterfly wings. :devil:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So get off the computer and work more on your entry! We still have plenty of time to finish something! Not sure? Paint a familiar! Pink, purple and teal unicorn baby with a butterfly tattoo. It's wayyyy too early for towel throwing!

I thought it was supposed to be purple and pink with paisley butterfly wings. :devil:

you need teal to go with the purple

Best advice I ever received was "Paint it because you want to paint it, not because of some contest". It sounds like it's not the deadline, but the a stress response to competition. Don't enter the contest because you want to win...just paint what you like and enter it, like I said.

I had my fig picked out and prepped. I stared at it many times whilst working on other projects. And then I realized I didn't want to spend the amount of time it would take to paint it to a competition standard. Heck, I don't think I would ever have used it after the contest.

I tossed it in the melt bucket and haven't looked back.

I can't see investing the time for me. I'd rather get a troop painted up and use them than spend more than that much time on a single fig that I would rarely use.

So I'm quite happily watching the ticker and looking forward to the fun!

Best advice I ever received was "Paint it because you want to paint it, not because of some contest". It sounds like it's not the deadline, but the a stress response to competition. Don't enter the contest because you want to win...just paint what you like and enter it, like I said.

I somewhat disagree with the "because you want to win" part. It is still a competition, and sometimes that can bring out the best in a person's abilities. I know I've pushed myself harder this year than ever before...all a result of competitions. My goal is to become the best painter possible, and "winning" competitions (to me) is an indicator that my goal is at least in sight. I do, however, agree completely that you should paint something because you want to paint it. If you're working on a model you don't want to be working on, it will show.

Rather pathetic, but I've actually had a couple of dreams about going to ReaperCon in the last few nights. A touch surreal in the way that dreams are, and I'm going to chalk the dreams up to anxiety about whether or not I'll have to change my plans about attending. :unsure:

I still haven't primed what I was going to enter in the painting competition (just to say that I've done it). At least the piece has been modded, cleaned, and based. Have to prime today and hope to get some painting time soon! ::):

Ron

I had a dream about ReaperCon, too! In my dream, my contest entry was so poor compared to all the others I spent the entire time standing in front of the case trying to hide it.

I agree with LunchBox re: competitions. I know they drive me to try harder and become a better painter. I have one Bronze Sophie Trophy from '06 (couldn't make it last year to try and move up). She was confirmation that I'm on the right track, but still have lots and lots of room for improvement. That being said, I almost always choose a model that I can use after a competition, unless it's just something unbelievably cool/fun to paint.

My point is that you should be painting for yourself, not for the competition. Competition can drive you, but it can also overwhelm you and you can find yourself making decisions based on the competition, rather than your own tastses, style and wants. That's where it crosses the line. I've never won first place in anything oustide my local shop just before we bought that local shop. Only once did I let the competition drive and make my decisions, and I have regretted it ever since. Now I know, I make the decisions based on what I want in the piece, not stressing over creating something for a competition.

Aghh, I just realized it is 2 weeks before I leave for Boise!! ha ha I should start packing. :blink:

I should really paint something for the contest. I keep telling myself to enter & then don't & each year after I do the same. Hopefully, I can paint something up, will the worse thing in the case, but at least I tried......for once, ha ha.

RM

Competition can drive you, but it can also overwhelm you and you can find yourself making decisions based on the competition, rather than your own tastses, style and wants.

This is very, very true. For example, I prefer (and am better at painting) shaded metallics over NMM. However, when I'm painting specifically for a competition, I get drawn into NMM thinking that it will make more of an impression on the judges. I usually end up unhappy with the results, knowing I could have done a better job with metallics.

Enough chatter - back to painting!

Well let's see here..

15 days till me and the boyfriend meet up at the airport and get to spend some time with each other.

and only 14 days to finish my rcon contest entry piece. Thankfully it's all basecoated already. Now just to work on layering and everything else.

Oh, and I should start making a list of all things I'm packing as well.

14 days until I leave for Texas

16 days until my parents show up in Colorado for a visit

21 days until I return to Colorado

26 days until my parents leave Colorado

I didn't quite time this right.

Anne, any chance I can stay at your house for 5 days?

My point is that you should be painting for yourself, not for the competition. Competition can drive you, but it can also overwhelm you and you can find yourself making decisions based on the competition, rather than your own tastses, style and wants. That's where it crosses the line. I've never won first place in anything oustide my local shop just before we bought that local shop. Only once did I let the competition drive and make my decisions, and I have regretted it ever since. Now I know, I make the decisions based on what I want in the piece, not stressing over creating something for a competition.

Very well said, Sue.

A friend of mine used to paint and enter competitions, and loved them. However, he didn't paint _for_ the competitions. What he did was that when a piece was going particularly well, he decided it was going to be a competition piece. He wouldn't know what competition it would be for, only that it was destined for one. When a competition came up, he'd look at his shelf of figures ready for competition, and if something appropriate was there, he'd enter it. If he didn't have anything, oh well, there was always another competition later. Pieces that won went in his display cabinet, pieces that didn't went to the game table or got sold. He was doing quite well regionally when his ability to paint was cut short by a brain tumor.

If he hadn't have passed away, I'd like to think that his would be a name you all knew as well as Sue, Marike and the other fine painters here.