You know, that countdown widget thingee on the home page.......

haldir

My point is that you should be painting for yourself, not for the competition. Competition can drive you, but it can also overwhelm you and you can find yourself making decisions based on the competition, rather than your own tastses, style and wants. That's where it crosses the line. I've never won first place in anything oustide my local shop just before we bought that local shop. Only once did I let the competition drive and make my decisions, and I have regretted it ever since. Now I know, I make the decisions based on what I want in the piece, not stressing over creating something for a competition.

OK, I'll go for that. I know that I've entered pieces in the past that I didn't even want to paint...my LOTR model for the '07 Games Day comes to mind. I didn't want to paint it, I hated it, and it showed. I guess my point with the competitions is that they always push me to use what I know, and expand on new techniques. I also know that comps have taught me a lot over the years. On thing I want to add, is part of a conversation that Anne and I had at last weekend's paint-night. I had her pick apart every detail on one of my minis, and I took almost all of her advice. I disagreed with her on one point, about "black-lining", because I don't do that. Anne, being the gracious, master painter that she is, was totally understanding that it was a style difference. Never once did she say, "this will help you win"...in fact, that was never the point of the conversation. It was totally, and completely about how to make the mini better, and as there will always be between painters, we had style differences. I still took her advice, and used techniques I was comfotable with. That's a nice segway to this point:

This is very, very true. For example, I prefer (and am better at painting) shaded metallics over NMM. However, when I'm painting specifically for a competition, I get drawn into NMM thinking that it will make more of an impression on the judges. I usually end up unhappy with the results, knowing I could have done a better job with metallics.

I too have just made this mistake, in reverse. I am helpless when it comes to metallics, yet I chose to use true metallics for a competition piece. However, I didn't do it thinking it would boost me up in the comp...I did it because it's my weakest area, and I have to push myself. The results so far are pretty good, but I'm kicking myself for not going with NMM, since I know it would have looked much better. In most comps, the judges could care less if you do NMM, or true metallics...they just want to see flawless excecution.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday will be rough, only because I have to introduce the Evil Ones to their warden for the two weeks I'm gone. I think then it'll hit me that I'm leaving my fuzzy babies alone for two, long weeks without their usual pampering. It's kind of hitting right now, but it'll be awful the morning I leave for the airport.

The usual vacation for me meant a journey to my Dad's house where Oreo and Bageerah could hang out with their friends Henrietta and FuzzyFace (my dad's oldest cats). This trip however involves flying and Dad now has Henrietta, FuzzyFace, Ziggy, and Boy... no room for the Evil Ones really.

:unsure: I'm gonna get serious cold shoulder treatment when I come home...

Since I'm a programmer/developer/make it work kind of person I am officially 'on hold' as of today. As in, I can't make any changes to anything in production unless it is an authorized emergency change. Which means no changes.

So I get to spend Monday and Tuesday playing in the development environment and/or typing up documentation. Either way pretty much nothing is getting done. I see a few army rosters being created. I can't bring my minis or paints to work. That's a bit obvious.

I love scheduling vacation like this.

WOOT!!! I have 3 paint comp entries pretty much done in spite of the countdown clock...and working on my open entry...WWWWHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Alas, I have consumed too many adult beverages for the evening...I shall retire to my quarters momentarily.

I went on vacation starting yesterday. <_<

I'm currently enjoying a weekend away with my wife. Eating good food, relaxing, seeing a movie or two, and... er... spending a bit of time painting my ReaperCon entry. ::):

Ron

I don't know what part of Houston you're in...but could you bring me some fried crawfish, and gumbo from the Rajin Cajun?

Thanks! :poke:

Yep, pre convention panic has fully set in as I quick take a shower, grab my daughter from school for our dentist appointments, pack a dragon and get it to it's ground transportation service this afternoon, worry about when I'll do laundry, pack, finish and get copied my class materials, finish my dagnabit entry, clean the house because MOM is coming to stay with my daughter and hubby while I'm gone, go to Trader Joe's for my convention sustenance, and prep my daughter's homework schedule so she'll get this major project done while I'm gone without making dad tear his hair out...so many little things to do!

BUT, did I mention Art starts his new job next week Monday?! WooHoo! Employed and getting a paycheck so I don't have to panic about spending money at the con. :-)

My panic is:

1. Call in two orders for restock with Alliance Games and WotC (both reps taking forever to call me back)

2. Clean my apartment (something not done for entirely too long)

3. Do laundry (again... lots of clothes/bedding mean this doesn't happen frequently enough)

4. Take trash out to the driveway where helpful friend will be hauling it to the dump for me tomorrow (the truck is in the garage... again) ::P:

5. Introduce the Evil Ones to the cat-sitter (aka Helpful friend)

6. Pick up Dragons Don't Share from it's hiding place at a friend's house.

7. Pack!

I'm bringing a few completed minis and some that are so close to completion (but as yet unseen) that I may have a DHL small entry and a Warlord small entry depending on if I can finish them before the turn-in deadline ::P: