Sign in to follow this  
Warwick

Evil is winning in Taltos

Take a look at the factions we now have. Only three Good factions. Crusaders, Elves, and Dwarves. While there are a few Good models in other factions, that's it for the Good, people. Good needs a new army. Not just a sublist. What can you make a Good army from?

Giant intelligent insects working under a hive mind.

Warrior monks from secluded temples spreading hope and a good beating.

Elemental spirits of fire, earth, air, water.

I want to play at least one Good faction, but the choices before me seem boring.

I'd like to see a good undead faction. Spirits of fallen warriors who never give up hope or duty, restless untill the world is rid of evil. A good lich who sacrificed his humanity to make sure he sees the day that evil is pushed back.

I had an idea about an elven civil war, seperating the woodland creatures and wood elves from the high elves and grey elves. Because of lack of numbers the High elves would call on their ancestors to protect sacred lands and fight back the evil.

Even more than that, I'd like to see a good Greek/Roman inspired faction. I would make them freedom fighters who do not approve of slavery or the bending of a person's rights in any way, often making them seem stand offish and stubborn.

Lots of Lock Shield abilities. Races include Humans, Half Elves, and Minotaurs.

Hatred for Overlords because of their slavery trading, distaste for the Elves for how they feed their half elf brothers propaganda and send them to die, and problems with other factions all around. The good intentions but too strong armed faction.

I'd like to see some good Samurai. Not just a few outacst Ronin.

btw, The Sisters of the blade are all good.

But the problem with good is the fact that most "Good folks" don't fight. Or at least they avoid conflicts. An army of diplomats wouldn't be a lot of fun to play.

Now, take the evil and self-centered(neutral), Now there's a group of folks that love conflict.

Good folks fight, they just typically aren't the agressors.

I'd love to see the Sisters split into their own faction - that would be one of the easiest ways to bolster the forces of good in Taltos without any sticky or messy fluff considerations. Anything else you have to be careful with cause you don't want to muck with the fluff too much - GW has done that a couple of times, and it's annoying - like when they added the Tyranids, the Necrons and again with the Tau.

I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful about it, like the addition of the BSG was.

I like the idea of monks or a samurai group

With high DIS, and ctrit attacks and high DV.

The idea of good undead could be fun to play too.

For me personally some of the evil factions are more fun cause they have good faction Sa's. Also they just seem to be better, better mages better models etc.

I'd like to see an entire army made from the DHL line. There are several good armies that could be created from the DHL line. The beauty of DHL would be you wouldn't have to wait for the models. They are already there. The BSGs and Lupines may be official factions but they still only have a half dozen models.

Halflings would be a good place to start. It could be easily done using halflings and gnome. It could have a strong dragon link and utilize the dragon rider, the half dragon, baby dragons and hatchlings and one of the larger dragons.

An Asian flavored, Mongol Horde type faction would be cool. It could be the humans from beyond the monglash Steppes. A human Reven of sorts. Not just Samurai or monk or ninja or mongol or hwarang/sul sa but a mixture of all this would kill lots of birds with one stone.

A Sigurd/Gundor inspired Northern Tribes/barbarian/Viking army would be fun. Or even the old Highlanders.

Samurai have been DONE TO DEATH and should be avoided. Besides, I have always seen Samurai as more Lawful/Tradition oriented than good. Spartans are out as well, because Croc Games' line are just SWEEEEEEET! An though Reaper might match them, I don't think they can beat them.

I LOVE the idea of the righteous undead. The figures could be ghosts of all the goodly races in the game so far. New sculpts or just spooky paintjobs.

Halflings are a nice idea. I would like to see a Minotaur/Bovine/Bison faction (The Holy Cows?).

Just my 2p worth,

Brian

(The Holy Cows?).

This almost made me fall out of my chair. It must be done!!!!!!!

Halflings would stomp all over the Fluff that says there aren'ta ny Halfings in Taltos (at least not a native population of any sizable amount).

Not sure about undead, we have two undead factions already.

I'd be down with some sort of Celestial race, I mean we have demons invading Taltos, but few Celestials in the game. A Celestial race would also let Reaper come up with something Unique, which hasn't really been happening lately. When the game first came out many of the factions felt somewhat non-traditional (Dwarves weren't the typical D&D magic resistant heavily armoured guys they have become, and the Reven had that very Mongol feel that seems lost underneath the mass of humanoids that have invaded its ranks) with the exception of the BSG RC07/08 have largely shifted factions in line with what I would consider traditional D&D images of various races.

I'd like to see a unique race, or at very least a unique take on a race similar to what has been done with the BSG. Something new and refreshing if we were to get a new faction.

That being said, I'll harp on it time and time again, I don't want to see any factions of supplements until we see a compiled rulebook. Whats the point of new models without a full complete and easy to access rules set to help showcase them.

(The Holy Cows?).

This almost made me fall out of my chair. It must be done!!!!!!!

How about some of the units for this faction:

Adepts = Buffalo Soldiers

Monster = Big Blue Ox

Flyer = The Red Bull

Cleric = Papal Bull

I freely give permission for Reaper to use these ideas, though I would not refuse a kick back figure or two. ;o)

Cheers,

Brian

We actually have 4 factions with undead in them. Necropolis, Nefsokar, Razig, and Overlords. To me that means that undead are a common theme in Taltos and possibly all of Adon. The only undead them that isn't tapped into is one that is Good and possibly made up of half of something else.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing a celestial faction. I think Cruaders have already tapped this market though and I would see it as a Sub-List rather than a Faction. Similar to how the Demons were done in Darkspawn.

It would make the two factions even more of a rivalry.

I love the idea of a full fledged Oriental faction. I do not like the idea of them being good. I feel like the Samurai and Monks of giving and caring are overplayed. I'd like to see a corrupted, broken, and nasty Japan inspired faction.

This would give us the same types of models as usual, samurai, monks, and sake brewers, but it would allow for a corrupted magical spin to be put on the average models. It would also allow vile ninjas and perhaps 1 or 2 monster races to be included. Like Tengu for adepts and Japanese Ogres and Goblins to help flesh it out more.

The fact that another company makes similar miniatures shouldn't be a deterent for Reaper to make them. It is actually a positive, since people might pick up reapers in place of the other Companies. I also firmly believe Reaper would blow the socks off of Crocs miniatures.

The other games don't have opportunities to dip into Monster rich races of Adon like Reaper does either. I want to see a Minotaur decked out like a spartan warrior from 300 damn it :)

I totally agree with RGTripleC on a Northern Barbarian faction. I would think of them as neutral, but maybe good could work also. Innate frost spells on some of the models and perhaps the use of shields and armor are seen as weak throughout the entire faction, so nobody gets deflect.

I also wouldn't mind a halfling and dragon army. If we move out of Taltos perhaps the expanding war has pushed into the halflings territory so they've called on old alliances to help them defend what is theirs. I would use copper dragons or something that is usually more playful than fearful, to show reason why they have aligned with the wee folk.

Tons of cool potential when aligning Halflings with real dragons. Not the half breed stock the reptus have around. I want a brood of thorough breed Copper dragons that help the Halflings as friends.

I'd like to see a good undead faction. Spirits of fallen warriors who never give up hope or duty, restless untill the world is rid of evil. A good lich who sacrificed his humanity to make sure he sees the day that evil is pushed back.

I had an idea about an elven civil war, seperating the woodland creatures and wood elves from the high elves and grey elves. Because of lack of numbers the High elves would call on their ancestors to protect sacred lands and fight back the evil.

Even more than that, I'd like to see a good Greek/Roman inspired faction. I would make them freedom fighters who do not approve of slavery or the bending of a person's rights in any way, often making them seem stand offish and stubborn.

Lots of Lock Shield abilities. Races include Humans, Half Elves, and Minotaurs.

Hatred for Overlords because of their slavery trading, distaste for the Elves for how they feed their half elf brothers propaganda and send them to die, and problems with other factions all around. The good intentions but too strong armed faction.

I love the elf good undead/high elf combo army idea! I'm one of the ones who wished they had gone more high-elfen rather than woodland-creature with the expansion, and the addition of Good-aligned undead would be really cool. There's some great potential for really cool models there. I think there's actually something in the Forgotten Realms setting--a Baelnorn, if I remember correctly--basically, a good elven lich, who sacrificed their life to perform an eternal duty. Something like that would be awesome.

I really like the good Undead idea, just like everyone else. However, we have four factions that already field Undead. Taltos is crawling with the Undead already. I swear, you can't throw a rock and not hit something once dead and still moving. How can any Undead have Fearsome? Don't the people of Taltos see them all the time. "Look Honey, it's a skeleton!" "So, my Uncle's a zombie."

As cool as it would be, I gotta vote no.

Including some Good Undead in the Merc faction...now you're talking!

I love the elf good undead/high elf combo army idea! I'm one of the ones who wished they had gone more high-elfen rather than woodland-creature with the expansion, and the addition of Good-aligned undead would be really cool. There's some great potential for really cool models there. I think there's actually something in the Forgotten Realms setting--a Baelnorn, if I remember correctly--basically, a good elven lich, who sacrificed their life to perform an eternal duty. Something like that would be awesome.

The undead elves thing is cool. I'm pretty sure our elves are what they planned to be the high elves... I'm sure I remember EE stating that and the fluff kind of leans that way, but this would be a great way to work in the gray elves whatever they are.

Halflings would stomp all over the Fluff that says there aren'ta ny Halfings in Taltos (at least not a native population of any sizable amount).

If it meant getting an entire halfling faction, especially a cool one that had dragons, they could stomp little Dingo right out of the game for all I care. Sacrifice one for good of many : :devil: Dingo is weak and has soft feet his fluff must be stomped out for the good of game :grr:

All Dingo's description says is they are a rare sight, few are willing to make it their home and that the ones that are there are tough. So, although the fluff states that they are definately a minority race, it also states that they are present in small numbers. As Shakhak said the campaign could be expanded, or Reaper could possibly add to that one sentence of halfling fluff.

I think this is definately a tough dicussion... I sit here thinking of different races and stuff, and admittedly most everything i think is probably evil and not good.

I dont like the undead thing, enough of it already. Greeks.. not so much.. Beasties... i like it but they aren't good and they re already smattered around in each other faction. Halflings.. well we already have dwarves and now the BSG... Bugs.. well they really fit the BSG future expansion...

I do like the idea of celestial. Kinda the opposite of the darkspawn demons..

Just not sure there is enough there to do a full faction.. I guess I can see something kinda like Razig or Koborlas, kinda a mini faction..

And I 150% agree with what SE says when he talks about wanting something different and unique, and not just copycat..