Sign in to follow this  
Nickel

Witches skin

I'm new at this whole painting thing, but am enjoying it very much. Truth be told, I'm currently working on about my 5th or 6th mini, but it is the first "people" type. I'm painting the three witches and am trying to figure out how to get hte skin to look right - it seems to me they are older rather "crone" like (OK, background shows, I'm envisioning the witches from Macbeth) and am not sure how to make the skin look like it should. I've thought about using the fair skin and adding some blue or grey or green, but am wondering if anyone has played around with this before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you doing the witch coven? If so, I'd go for green tinted skin. Add a bit of like moldy flesh to your basecoat and remember - your basecoat should be a bit darker than you want the skin to be in the end. So maybe try 3 parts tanned skin, 1.5 parts moldy flesh, and some water. If you don't have MSP's, a nice even flesh tone with a bit of light ugly green should also work.

I would go with gray & green. I recently painted a troll with a mixture of VMC Green Grey & Olive Green. You can use light gray to highlight and a darker green to wash. I got a nice, sickly skin that wasn't too green and had just the right amounts of shading.

One advantage to painting monsters is that you don't have to get the colors perfect, so you can experiment & learn. If the colors had come out slightly off, no one would know except myself. If I were doing a human, the skin tones become more important.

Thanks all. It is the coven, and I think I'll go with the green and grey. I'll have to see if can pick up the "moldy skin" (if for no other reason than the name is great!) at the local store and move forward then. I appreciate the suggestions.