Sign in to follow this  
paintminion

Paint (minion's) Chemist looking for leads...

As many of you know, my husband's last day at work was last Wednesday, April 30th, his 42nd Birthday. At this time, we're looking around the states for leads on coatings chemist positions. His work is in paints and non-stick coatings. He has 1 and possibly two more, patents to his credit.

If you have any leads, chime in and let me know! Especiallially if you wish to have a good painter and gamer live near you... :B):

Quite a few chemist positions in the Houston area given the energy industry. I don't know how closely the available positions would match your husband's experience. You might ask him him to take a look at Monster (and such) for area positions.

If something does strike your fancy, I would be happy to help scout out the area and such.

Ron

There is a 3M plant here in town he might look into. I want to think Dow as well, but I also think I'm wrong and it's probably in Houston. He might also consider NASA in the Houston area.

Go to USAJOBS.com, and do a series search on 1320 (federal code for chemist). There are a few pages of them, around the US. Even a couple in IL - the first one on the list is an FDA job in Bedford Park, IL.

some of the jobs may even help with some of the moving costs - or you can maybe use that as a bargaining chip.

Mike

1320 for the US Air Force

Conoco is opening up a new facility here in the Denver area which has to do with new energy research - supposed to be one of the largest in the nation. I have no idea whether or not they'll need chemists with you're husband's background, but it's worth looking into.

Thanks, guys, but we've done the searches, and much of it is stuff he has no experience with or wouldn't be qualified for. Already have a friend pushing for the US treasury jobs...not sure why though. ;-) We also have leads on two other positions in his field.

So it's not general help we need, but specific. If you know a company is looking for a paint formulations chemist or coatings chemist, let me know.

You've probably already done this search, but have you tried looking at the websites for the various RPM International companies? Seems like at least some of the child companies would have something.

For example, this one came up at Tremco and this one at DAP (which may be the two that you already have).

You might have to go to each child company's website to hunt for a careers page. I couldn't find one at Testors.

Ron

I know! We checked out quite a few based on location of friends and family, but either they want phd's, biochemists, or just a lab jockey.

But! Art has another interview today with a company and we think this is a job offer. Granted, it's not the job he wants, but if they meet his requirements... Keep fingers crossed!

Too bad this topic didn't come up 6 years ago...granted I wasn't a forum member then, so anyway.

When I was handling manpower down at Sandia we were always looking for Master's degree type chemists to work in the R&D shops. It wasn't exactly a lab jockey job as it was more about trying to figure out how to make the Phd types ideas actually work (theory and practice are two different things). While it isn't a specific job lead - you might want to check into those (Sandia, Phillips and related DoD/DoE labs). The nice thing is that you get a good bit more job security with those jobs than most civilian counterparts. I know we had a lot of different coating chemists who worked in my lab while we were trying to figure out different ways to reduce friction, deal with corrosion and all the various other things that coatings come in handy with.

I'll send out a few emails to people I know still working in that industry and see what comes back.

Art's been offered that job, and we make our decision next Monday. It's going to be interesting and with a lot of potential! Of course, that's what we said about the last job...

And thanks Joe, we've got a few resumes floating around in those circles in response to some postings, but most do want the Master's and Art doesn't have that. Though experience often makes up for that! Still, less than a week out of work and he has an offer. We're feeling a bit relieved here!