Laid up with Pink-eye.

We've got some friends who didn't vaccinate their child. She ended up with whooping cough and 7 days in the hospital. If you ask me, the benefits of getting the shots far outweigh the risks. The girl will probably have scar tissue on her lungs the rest of her life.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists
Yeah, the measles outbreaks were not too far away from me. At least one of them was. And the majority was caused by an unvaccinated child in day care. Don't even get me started on willful negligence on the part of the parents on that one.

Anyone who received a measles vaccination prior to 1968 may want to get another.

People who have documentation of receiving LIVE measles vaccine in the 1960s do not need to be revaccinated. People who were vaccinated prior to 1968 with either inactivated (killed) measles vaccine or measles vaccine of unknown type should be revaccinated with at least one dose of live attenuated measles vaccine. This recommendation is intended to protect those who may have received killed measles vaccine, which was available in 1963-1967 and was not effective.

My former roommate worked security in a hospital and was exposed to measles. (It's rare enough now that the medical staff didn't immediately recognize it and quarantine the carrier.) After they figured it out they recommended that we (both children of the 60s) get revaccinated as a preventative measure. Turns out to have been just as well, I got my other vaccines updated at the same time so it was one thing I didn't have to do as part of the process of immigrating to America.

Have you never had them or are you one of those that can get them more than once? I've heard that a few people can.

Four frigging times! FOUR! I got 'em from my brother the first time, kids in my class the 2nd and 3rd times, and the fourth time I was 17 and got them when babysitting my cousin when he had the chicken pox. Haven't had them since, but I'm not even gonna risk it ::P:

It's an infection of the eye where the scalera (white part) gets extremely red and bloodshot. Your eyes are watering a lot and there is so much gunk in them that when you wake up in the morning your eyes are glued shut. It can also burn and have pain from pressure, often because there's a sinus infection that can accompany the eye infection.

It's highly contagious. The bacteria can live on things like keyboards and paper for three days, and anyone coming into contact and then touching their own eyes can easily get the infection.

And in my case my bottom eyelid swelled up to about 4 or 5 times its normal size and I had pustules on the top and bottom lid. The pustules are still healing, and my eye is till a bit red. If it's not a lot better by Monday, a week from when I initially went to the doctor, I'm going back in. I don't want pink-eye to side-line me from RCon.