Warning: New Airline Baggage Fees

Dancin'Debby

Just a warning to those flying to con next week. American Airlines will start charging $25 for checking a second bag starting Monday, May 12th. I believe some other airlines have already started a similar policy. You might want to check with your airline before your trip. This is on top of the overweight charge of $25 (over 50 lbs in a bag, you get charged $25).

Just thought you might like to know if you're like me and pack an extra bag to stuff full of goodies from your travels and check in as you go home. Either ship it home or bring extra money if you've exceeded your maximum 2-piece carryon limit (or in a lot of our cases - the weight limit from so many minis!).

just thought you might want to know,

debby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to the second bag fee, airlines have upped their enforcement of overwieght bags, too. I just recently took a trip, and hearing about the second bag, I put everything in one case. I wound up over the weight limit of 50 lbs, and had to pay a $50 overwieght charge.

Turns out the airline I was flying (Frontier) wasn't even charging for second bags. It pays to know what your airline is charging for both overwieght and second bags - if you're going to go over, it's best to know which is the cheapest option.

Hrmm... gonna have to check with Delta, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have 50lbs of stuff to bring with me. I sent a box of clothes along to Dad's on Monday so I wouldn't have to worry about doing laundry right after ReaperCon and allowing me to use my tiny suitcase instead of a bigger one.

Of course Dad's immediate response was "You're not even here yet and I've got your laundry to take care of!" <_<

American is certainly not the only one doing that, in fact, I think they are behind the curve on this one. I knew about Frontier's charge for over weight bags because I have traveled a lot in the last year or so. So definitely check with your carrier, they should have that information clearly posted on their webset, or maybe not, go digging.

Hrmm... gonna have to check with Delta, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have 50lbs of stuff to bring with me.

I was headed to a trade show, so I had a bunch of manuals and tools with me, which is the primary reason I went overweight. However, I could see someone taking a bunch of minis and supplies to RCon inadvertantly getting close to the weight limit if they weren't careful.

This is why I take two carry-ons. One regular sized carry-on and then an old laptop carrying case that makes for a great place to stash toiletries and books for in-flight entertainment. I pack light, and this year I'll probably take advantage of Reaper's offer to ship our stuff home for us by UPS if our pewter haul is a bit hefty. I don't minding paying to send it home via UPS and know it will get there in due time.

Speaking of toiletries, what is the newest policy on that? I know the bottles have to be under a certain number of ounces and in ziplock bags. How many are we allowed to take and any other limits pertaining to that?

This is why I take two carry-ons. One regular sized carry-on and then an old laptop carrying case that makes for a great place to stash toiletries and books for in-flight entertainment. I pack light, and this year I'll probably take advantage of Reaper's offer to ship our stuff home for us by UPS if our pewter haul is a bit hefty. I don't minding paying to send it home via UPS and know it will get there in due time.

Speaking of toiletries, what is the newest policy on that? I know the bottles have to be under a certain number of ounces and in ziplock bags. How many are we allowed to take and any other limits pertaining to that?

I think it's 3 oz. now--and all in one quart-sized ziplock bag, no more.

I think it's 3 oz. now--and all in one quart-sized ziplock bag, no more.

Yes, you can bring on bottles of liquids and gels that fit in a quart sized zip lock bag as long as the bottles are 3 oz or smaller. No aerosols or spray cans.

Ron

• Artists
Yes, you can bring on bottles of liquids and gels that fit in a quart sized zip lock bag as long as the bottles are 3 oz or smaller. No aerosols or spray cans.

That's just for carry-on, right? You can have full bottles in checked luggage still?

That's just for carry-on, right? You can have full bottles in checked luggage still?

Yes, the 3 oz (or less) bottles in a 1 quart ziplock bag rule is only for carry on luggage. Bottles can be of any size and quantity (within reason, I suppose) in checked luggage. I think that they still frown on spray cans in checked luggage.

Ron

I just called American to qualify. Turns out if you booked your ticket before May 12th, you can still have two bags.

That's good to know. Did they happen to direct you to documentation of this?

I'd like a print out just in case.

I couldn't find any info on Frontier's site about any extra for baggage, so hopefully there is no rule for that. All I need is a unexpected expense to pop up on me.

Does anyone know if there is a charge for # of checked luggage? Probably have 2, but you never know.

RM

I suggest each of you flying in check personally with your airline's website.

It may turn out to be cheaper to simply UPS some of your belongings to us. If you in fact need to do this, address for UPS purposes is:

Reaper Miniatures

Attention :YOUR OWN NAME, REAPERCON

9062 Teasley Ln

Denton TX 76210