Sign in to follow this  
rgtriplec

Official Reaper photography

I was wondering what camera Reaper uses to take the pictures for the figure gallery? Additionally, do they use brush on primer or spray primer? Some really have great definition, is that just good light placement, if so how many lights, flashes and how are they placed? Or do the highlight with a lighter color and detail wash?

I'd love to see a picture of the setup. I've tried to copy the effect at home but it has been inconsistant.

Basically it appears that the photo is being made in a deep box (plenty of room between foreground and background), and that the primary lightsource is above the mini with ample secondary lighting coming from numerous other dirctions. The "gradient" effect seems to be caused by not allowing near as much ambient light to reach the extreme background.

Or at least that's how I guess it is being done. It creates a nice natural look (as opposed to photoshopping in digital gradients), and the evenly distributed secondary light still allows the colours and details to show.

I, too, would love to know how, exactly, their setup is. Or at least as exact as they would like to share.

What type of bulbs (incandescent? fluorescent?), watts of the bulbs, what kind of light ("warm"? "cool"? "natural"? full spectrum?), how they are placed (how close? where in relation to the model?), if they use diffusers, and what kind of reflectors.

Do they use a box? Tent? Just a backdrop?

Maybe some settings they use on their camera to help take more vivid photos?

... perhaps these are Reaper trade secrets? :ph34r:

It's not trade secrets, I just never really thought about it.

I've got some pictures, I'll try to get a set-up pic for you guys.

I would be interested in this too!

Count me in. i need to know how to take better pics. like which coolpix do you use? i need a better camera and don't want to spend more than i really need too.

Okee: Painted gallery pictures that I take used the Nikon Coolpix 995 until about 2 months ago. Now it's the Canon A720 IS. I've got a light box that has one top down lamp and two adjustable lamps (They can be side or front mounted). Some painted pieces like direct lighting and others want reflected lighting. Some of the background have a gradient. Some backgrounds are a single color and I use lighting to simulate a gradient.

When I'm learning new tricks, they are all focused on minimizing what I need to do in photoshop to correct color, sharpness, or base scuffs.

A few very high level thing to do:

Read your camera manual

Look up the terms that don't make sense

Look up the terms through multiple sources

Practice changing ONE setting at a time (record what your settings are for each picture)

Lighting: use the same bulb for all lamps in the setup.

Easy indicators that something needs tweaking: Black bases look washed out (if you see this you may or may not notice that the rest of the mini is also a little washed out). The mini looks smoother in the picture than in real life. There is a red or yellow tint to the image (sometimes green). The image is dark and/or grainy.

Look for Aryanun's tutorial (there should be a link in the forum, you'll need to search). It's quite a good place to start.

Great info, thanks a lot!

What about specifics on the bulbs? Compact florescent? Incandescent?

You mentioned three lights but how many watts are each of them? Do you use diffusers?

Could we see a picture of your box and setup?

Thanks again!

It doesn't matter what kind of bulbs you use, as long as they are all the same type.

The power output of the bulbs will only make a difference in how long of an exposure you'll end up taking.

Diffusers are good, but not necessary.

It doesn't matter what kind of bulbs you use, as long as they are all the same type.

Something people also should keep in mind is White Balance. If the white balance is off, the color will not be accurate. I personally never use auto white balance unless I'm in a hurry, even then I shoot in raw so I can fix it later. There are two gadgets you can buy to get good, accurate white balance. The WhiBal (best used when taking pictures in raw and in all the same type light) and then there's the ExpoDisc (for when you're shooting in jpeg and/or mixed lighting). I use both interchangeably, it depends on what the situation is. Here's the links.

WhiBal - http://www.whibal.com/products/whibal/index.html

ExpoDisc - http://www.expodisc.com/products/products....tegory=ExpoDisc

Hopes this helps,

Will