What I liked about Reapercon

Inarah

Aside from nearly everything, that is.

+ Bits bins: major reason for going, it's an opportunity only available once a year at Reapercon, and I'm happy y'all put up with our madness

+ More tables: unlike 07, we didn't have a problem finding a place to sit and paint, paw at minis, eat or just hang out with folks

+ Better lighting in the warehouse for above activities

+ Gift certificates for prizes: very good idea, feels like a real prize, and lets folks choose something they don't already have

And special thanks to folks who brought food to share. The bbq and pasta salad saved me thurs evening. That chocolate cheesecake on Saturday was amazingly good, and I hate cheesecake.

Only couple things stand out as needing "room for improvement" and one was in the classes themselves. There needs to be more "hands on" teaching. In some of the classes the teacher talked, did a little painting, and passed it around. Then did a little more talking and painting. The problem with that is you can't really see what they are doing, and if you don't already know what you are supposed to be looking at it's a little hard to tell what is going on. Paint classes really ought to be hands on, with demo minis and paint and a chance to try the technique with immediate feedback. Some of the teachers were very good at this. The other classes could improve by adding it.

I did learn something in all my classes, but some made it easier than others.

Second suggestion: We all know the auction doesn't start at 1pm, and the last speed paint doesn't start at 2pm, and neither do the last set of classes. So I'd suggest either pushing the final round of activities back to 3pm, or starting the classes and such at 1pm and having the auction as the final event of the con.

We had a terrific time, and will be putting Reapercon 09 on the calendar for next year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to also suggest maybe having the auctions online. I saw some cool stuff in those pics I'd have loved to have gotten. ::): I know, I know. Not practical. But I can dream.

Anyone out there get any of those black t-shirts and aren't feeling really, really attached to it? :rolleyes:

I'd like also suggest maybe having the auctions online. I saw some cool stuff in those pics I'd have loved to get. ::):

The problem with that , because I was there last year , is that one has to bid with ReaperBucks , which can only be earned at the convention . I don't think it will happen , although I could be wrong .

I'd like also suggest maybe having the auctions online. I saw some cool stuff in those pics I'd have loved to get. ::):

The problem with that , because I was there last year , is that one has to bid with ReaperBucks , which can only be earned at the convention . I don't think it will happen , although I could be wrong .

Well, I have some Disney Dollars and Chuckie Cheese tokens.

Only couple things stand out as needing "room for improvement" and one was in the classes themselves. There needs to be more "hands on" teaching. In some of the classes the teacher talked, did a little painting, and passed it around. Then did a little more talking and painting. The problem with that is you can't really see what they are doing, and if you don't already know what you are supposed to be looking at it's a little hard to tell what is going on.

That was the issue with my wife, she was in the Beginner Basics class, and (according to her) the instructor spent a disproportionate amount of time just painting the face of the mini, without really getting into any of the items of the class description, which beginners would need to know. (per description: how to be picky about prepping, assembling, and priming your miniatures, how to get smooth basecoats, and basic highlighting and shading techniques.)

Speaking of class descriptions, I asked before ReaperCon what the difference was between JESTERSPEED PAINTING & GOOD FAST PAINTING... there was a huge difference, as Derek's description of "fast" 4-6 hours. Im not going to complain about the class itself, because I thought it was excellent, but the class descriptions could have been a lot more clear. That being said, if the class desc. was clearer, I might not have taken the class, and I'm glad I did.

Only couple things stand out as needing "room for improvement" and one was in the classes themselves. There needs to be more "hands on" teaching.

Anne spent a lot of time describing whether the class was 'hands on' or 'demo'. If the instructor taught a different way then that's something you might want to PM Anne about.

And don't be afraid to speak up during the class. If the instructor is focusing on the face when the class is supposed to be about general basics, say something. Remember that they're not full time instructors and are teaching because they want to share the goodness.

I think I enjoyed seeing all the Reaper peeps and fans the most, reconnecting with people I see once a year and connecting with new people. Hunting through the bits was fun as always, and I participated in my first speed painting contest; it was a lot of fun.

Driving back to Arlington, I saw a sign on this building in Carrollton that read, "HARD ROCK TOOL" :rock:

A few things that stood out to me:

* Bob Ridolfi describing how he used a nose hair trimmer for sculpting

* The fact that Reaper allowed people to turn in swag points for auction bucks. Allowed for some awesome bid wars. Top bid war was Vince Shakandara winning the the Design Your Own Mini over (forgive me Icouldnt see who the other person was) at a bid of 7000 RBucks to 6960. Later that person won a Werner Kolcke unfinished green for like 2500 bucks.

* I had a couple of really good talks with a few of the sculptors, and I thikn they liked a couple of my ideas. Guess, we'll see in time.

* Jeremie's color theory class just blew me away. I know the color wheel. I know the idea of lighting and angles and such (I said I know about them, not necessarily that I have the talent to pull them off yet). But, the way in which he approaches some of it and his ability to describe it was very cool. As he stressed, these are not his ideas as they are taught in other art schools around, just usually not seen in our tiny miniature world that we live in. Such a good class that we had several sculptors and other pro-painters in there auditing the class.

* Pushing myself further than I have in the past on my single contest entry, even if if did not take first place.

* Being amongst friends in an environment that does feel more like a family reunion than a convention.

* Can't believe I forgot about ROTD... I admit that after last year's RCon and the initial demo that they had of ROTD, I was really put off, and not of any interest. But, then again that initial version was kinda boring and non interesting. And I admit that I really dont care for the idea of zombies all that much. But, if I dont focus on the zombies, but focus on the game itself in terms of time period and game mechanics and growth possibilities... Man,that was awesome and I had a ton of fun demoing the current version.

As part of the collective that helped Shak win the DYOM I think Valloa was the other bidder. I gladly donated all my RBucks to him for this, as a thanks for the necro folks chipped in and got me last year.

I just like hanging out with my friends. The unofficial IRC chat helps too.

While I didn't attend this year, the following is a top ten list of why I prefer ReaperCon over other gaming conventions:

10) The food is not overpriced hotdogs or corndogs that sell for $2.50 apiece, condiments extra.

9) No waiting in line for the elevator that takes ten minutes to get from Floor One to Floor Two.

8) No long lines just to get into the dealer's room. (Edit: I'd also like to point out that if The Asylum runs out of something, they'll make more... almost instantly in some cases. :blush: )

7) The ability to co-mingle with some of the greatest minds in the industry by actually sitting down with them and sharing ideas and learning from them.

6) Knowing just about everyone at the con either by name or forum handle, and knowing they're a friend.

5) People bringing and sharing free food like salsa and cheesecake (though it is not recommended to use the salsa as a cheesecake topping).

4) Seeing what new, creative, and humorous ideas people come up with for the painting contest.

3) ShinerCon.

2) The bits bins and trading in old minis for new by weight.

1) The smell of soap, shampoo, and aftershave instead of GamerFunk.

here are my list of likes:

Derek Schubert's Good Fast painting class & Werner Klocke's Beginners sculpting class were so loaded down with information I was overloading, but I learned so much, both are excellent instructors.

Sonic being onsite, this really helped when there wasnt enough time to go out.

the Bits Bin, the easiest way to fill up the dungeon I'm building.

the Hirst Arts dungeon at the back. grabbed a few photos of it for my inspiration folder.

Sophie Says... nuff said

the new Pro Paints. having hands on use of them through speed paint and the paint and take showed me the difference between what I have been using for the last 20 years and what I will be using from thi pint forward.

My con highlights were simply being able to sit and paint and interact with others. I didn't take any classes or get involved in the auctions, instead I just enjoyed being able to be stress free and enjoyed my long extended two day date with my boyfriend. The fact I was able to sit for several hours on end and clean and prep minis and paint was the highlight of my days at the actual convention. I don't get a chance to do that at home to much and the time spent relaxing and doing that was well worth it. I got to talk with people I had only seen in passing on the boards - cool people who exemplified what friends are for, and that in our close-knit group, what happens at the con stays at the con. :devil: