RIP Robert Asprin

warlordgarou

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer, I just discovered his stuff in the last couple of years. Picked up a ton in a used bookstore and got familiar with the Great Skeeve and the Phule series. Great fun, I love the tongue in cheek approach with the occasional moment that makes you go hmmmm. Always look to see if anything new is out from him... sad to know that isn't going to happen from here. :down:

I named the off-topic section of our Komitatus forums "The Vulgar Unicorn." Thieves' World is one of my all-time favorite series. Here is a message from his ex-wife and current owner of Sanctuary:

I'm still sorting this out myself, but realizing that pretty much

everyone on this list is at least peripherally aware that I was

married to Bob Asprin, I thought I should pass the word...

Bob died yesterday afternoon (May 22, 2008). It was sudden and

unexpected, probably a heart attack. A friend was supposed to take

him to the airport as he was scheduled to be Guest-of-Honor at Marcon

this weekend.

She found him on his sofa with one of Terry Prachett's books open on

his chest.

I hope he had simply dozed off and passed in his sleep.

When my thoughts are a bit more organized, I plan to post them...and

some pictures from the good times...on my blog

(http://www.lynnabbey.com/blog).

It's a strange, strange day....

Lynn

Rest in Peace, hopefully in a place where the Tully's is always flowing.

At this point, I haven't actually read one of his books, but will be changing that soon.

Back in March, I was hanging out at a small Irish pub on the edge of the French Quarter in New Orleans. Unlike most bars in the Quarter, this one was patronized primarily by the locals. Spending 5 consecutive nights there, I got to talking with many of the locals. I spent 2 nights drinking and talking with Robert before I knew who he was (he didn't mention his last name until then). If those nights of conversation are anything to judge his writing based on, then I am sure I will enjoy reading them. He possessed a wonderful sense of humor.

His drink of choice those nights was Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey (aka Tully's). I know that the next time I find myself in Fahy's Irish Pub, the first Tully's will be in memory of Bob.

If I can get to Fahy's while I'm in New Orleans in July, I'll raise a glass of Tully's in his memory, then.

Fahy's is on the corner of Tolouse and Burgundy, diagonally across the corner from the Maison Dupuy hotel.

If I can get to Fahy's while I'm in New Orleans in July, I'll raise a glass of Tully's in his memory, then.

Fahy's is on the corner of Tolouse and Burgundy, diagonally across the corner from the Maison Dupuy hotel.

Yup, had already pulled up the directions. Now I just have to wait until July...

*wonders how many of her co-workers she can get to raise a glass as well*

I just finished the combined volume with the first 6 books in the MYTH series yesterday. Tonight or tomorrow, I will be getting the second volume (from the Border's down the street).

The books captured his sense of humor, although not as well as the nights at Fahy's. I think I'll be stopping at Binny's to pick up a bottle of Tully's as well.

(update - bought the book on my way home from the airport, haven't started reading it yet, but I am drinking Tully's as I type this)