Price Increase

Wowahboy

I don't have a problem with the cost of the models rising. They're still affordable, especially when comparing costs with lines like GW. Plus, the cost of metal around the globe has risen, and kit gives a welcomed explanation of the market forces in the news section.

Brushmaster's remarks strike home for me today. I was helping run a WHFB tourney today at a Lonestar Comics in Arlington. They had lots of reaper models on the walls, but no paints. I asked one of the guys if they had paints other than Citadels, and he was puzzled. He'd never heard the words Vallejo or Reaper Master Series.

There are several LoneStar comics scattered over the metroplex area. If it hasn't already happened, somebody at Reaper needs to invite the LoneStar owner(s) for a tour of the factory and some free paint samples, not to mention brushes and kits. It seems like a partnership close to home is a good one, considering the costs of shipping if nothing else.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reaper is sure lucky to have such a good fan base. I've been on alot of the forums and usually people would be woofing like crazy.

I just have one thing to say: MULTI-PART PLASTICS

Every fig unique, easy to work, fun all over and with bits to spare.

just my two cents.

I am not happy about the price increase...but then again no one is happy about any price increase. I can be one of the curmgeons who say "I remember when a blister was 2.99...). The thing of it is I am not a fan of the huge Reaper figs...giants, dragons, etc... so if they are the ones to be hit the hardest I am not going to mind. If the average nekid birl with bewbies goes up a few cents I will manage.

The fact is Reaper has been around for over 10 years, they are the new Ral Partha for a reason. So I have faith in them.

Seems to me that Reaper is STILL the most reasonably priced figure line in the industry. They work very hard to insure the best product they can at the lowest possible price and bite the bullet more often than not to keep those prices reasonable for everyone.

Vive la Reaper!!

Oi Beowulf!

Actually petroleum based products should be shooting up again as well. I know that Trumpeter kits are going up about 15% by the end of June. I love multi-part plastic stuff but the front end costs are huge on those and Reaper would have to out source everything on that.

Reaper is sure lucky to have such a good fan base. I've been on alot of the forums and usually people would be woofing like crazy.

I just have one thing to say: MULTI-PART PLASTICS

Every fig unique, easy to work, fun all over and with bits to spare.

just my two cents.

The only problem with that is that their bread and butter line, DHL, is purposely designed to be one piece models to appeal to RPG'ers who'd rather be scheming how to torment the characters planning how to advance the story in the next session than assemble and paint figures. Multiparts seem to be more appealing to wargamers who get tired of painting the same pose 30 times for one unit.

Oh no - prices are going up. What a shocker. :rolleyes: As others have said, Reaper is still probably the most reasonably-priced manufacturer on the market - there are others who are cheaper, but you get what you pay for. With Reaper, you get all sorts of value added, from (generally) great sculpts to phenomenal customer support.

Will it impact my purchases? Sure. I'll simply take the money I had been setting aside for other things (Wii games, Hirst molds, food, electricity) and use it on Reaper figs instead. I mean, you gotta have your priorities in order, right?

I like to compare it to other forms of entertainment.

For example:

Typical mini: $7.00

Cost for paint and materials: $0.50 (That's probably a bit high)

Total cost: $7.50

Time to paint: 20 hours

$7.50/20= $0.38 per entertainment hour.

Going to a movie:

Admission: $6.00 (matinee rates)

(We'll leave the snacks out ot this)

Hours of entertainment: 2

$6/2 = $3.00 per entertainment hour

I think minis is still a good investment and cheap entertainment. ::D:

TS

Typical mini: $7.00

Cost for paint and materials: $0.50 (That's probably a bit high)

Total cost: $7.50

Time to paint: 20 hours

$7.50/20= $0.38 per entertainment hour.

OR

A bunch of figs for either Warlord or use in D&D, lets say a group of 9 Warlord figs: $39.99

Time to paint: ~7 hours

$39.99/7= $5.71

Now let's estimate there are at least 50 hours they'll get used for gaming, plus the 7 for painting them...

$39.99/57=$0.70

Ok, so show quality painters, you have the cheaper method ::P:

Still though, even if you rush, it's not a bad deal at all.