anyone used these files?

Inarah

I'm looking at the diamond file set from Gale Force 9. Does anyone have comments on this set? I'm tired of my husband taking my ridged files and gumming them up with resin and glue. He's convinced he wants diamond files. (Somebody at Reapercon put that notion into his head last year). I'd like to get him his own set to ruin.

http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?...products_id=330

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at the diamond file set from Gale Force 9. Does anyone have comments on this set? I'm tired of my husband taking my ridged files and gumming them up with resin and glue. He's convinced he wants diamond files. (Somebody at Reapercon put that notion into his head last year). I'd like to get him his own set to ruin.

No because every metal tool that my friends have bought from GF9 have all rusted. I use these and they are awesome.

Gyros 6 piece file set

He might also want to look into rifflers. To clean glue and resin out of your files acetone works great, or a brass file brush.

Funny you should ask that. My FLGS owner had just gotten a set of these to try out. The things can't be more than four inches long. Yes - FOUR INCHES LONG.

So yes they're diamond but they're tiny frickin' things that would annoy me to use.

• Reaper User

Actually I have a similar set but they're from Rio Grande, not GF9. Mine are very small, though not rubber-dipped... I love them because they allow me to actually burnish the mold lines off of small, difficult areas with minimal pressure. ::D:

That said, diamond files can be dangerous in the wrong hands (very little pressure from a fresh file will take off fine detail almost effortlessly). Your hubby should make sure that's what he wants, and if he uses 'em to spread glue...well, he's like *I* was before I got diamond files!! :lol: I used to think files were only good for spreading glue 'till my diamond files actually proved useful to me. So maybe give him a chance with 'em. ::D: You might want to shop around price-wise, though. If he doesn't care about the rubber-dipped handles he can get more files for the same price.

--Anne

I'll second the Rio Grande. The Rio Grande process is: Call them, get a catalog (Student or Professional is who Rio Grande sells to, so make yer mind up which you are. Most professionals have a company name, most students have a college/university/school name). Drool over the catalog. I, er, can't find my catalog, but there are a few different types... you want the one with the files. It also has some neat-o (but reasonably high dollar) foot pedal rotary tool goodness... sigh... one day...

Those look just like the files I got from a different store online, only I got a 3 pack. Yes, they're about 4 inches long. I have only had them a couple of weeks, too.

However, I love 'em.

The three pack was pretty much exactly what I use. Flat, round, semi-round with a flat side. The last time I bought regular files, that was what I went after.

I can't say anything about rust or long term use. I will say that the 3 pack was a LOT cheaper than that five pack, and that it may be an easier way to see if the diamond files will be any good for him.

I have the GF9 set, have used at least three of them on metal minis (not glue!) and I like them just fine. They are a little small, but the size is fine for the work I'm doing. Had them almost a year, now, no rust or other problems.

I have a set of 7 (or so, I can't remember exactly) from Micro-Mark. I like them very much. The small size helps the files get into tighter spots.

After some use, they do become less effective, either from little bits of metal getting stuck on the file or the diamond grit rubbing off. Scrubbing with some soap and an old toothbrush seems to help (somewhat).

Ron

It just so happens tha I just puchased the 5pack set and put them to the task immediately. I can't for the life of me understand why it took so long for me to aquire a set...:) I'm doing a commission of five reapers for my client and they worked admirably. As far as the rust I'll have to wait and see but they're cheap enough for it not to matter much if I have to replace them once in awhile.