You cannot game tonight, it is Historical Night

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I prefer to game at home. No one to tell you it's time to close, or you have to be quieter, or that you can't play a certain game at that particular time.

Added bonuses: Bring your own food and be at ease that someone won't swipe it (unless you game with my ex-husband), easy access for cold drinks, bathrooms that are not filled with the foul-end of gamer funk, and, if you tend to game with me, the occasional home-cooked dinner. I also used to provide chilé con queso with chips on a near weekly basis.

Cons: Roommates who don't game and who might complain, not everyone in the group lives in a centralized location, the owners may have small children, distractions from the home computer/game systems if they are in the same room as the gaming space (Oh, I'm unconscious? I'm going to go play WoW until combat is over).

If the historical gaming organization bigwig is so worried that a single non-historical game on 'historical game night' will defile the purity of historical gaming, he needs more fiber in his diet.

My opinion is that the more gaming a store has going, the better it is. A gaming store is an active store.

We've been playing our campaign mostly at our house for convenience. Two of the people stay the weekend here and our house is large enough to accommodate a campaign while Mr. Rastl does other things.

But with the changes to my FLGS and the addition of lots of gaming space I'll probably game there sometimes just because it is neutral territory. People I would game with at the store aren't allowed to know where I live. Pitfall of being a female gamer.

If the historical gaming organization bigwig is so worried that a single non-historical game on 'historical game night' will defile the purity of historical gaming, he needs more fiber in his diet.

My opinion is that the more gaming a store has going, the better it is. A gaming store is an active store.

We've been playing our campaign mostly at our house for convenience. Two of the people stay the weekend here and our house is large enough to accommodate a campaign while Mr. Rastl does other things.

But with the changes to my FLGS and the addition of lots of gaming space I'll probably game there sometimes just because it is neutral territory. People I would game with at the store aren't allowed to know where I live. Pitfall of being a female gamer.

Indeed... unless there is a problem with historical gamers not being able to get a table on historical game night at the shop because of non-historical gamers occupying them. Then I can understand but if tables a free - being used for any gaming is better than no gaming.

How could you not want to play historicals though ;)

There is a big dustup about Historicon this year because the decision has been made to give priority to historical gamers over non-historical gamers during the prime slots - which I have lots of opinions on (and can expound upon if you really want to hear them) - but mostly it is due to 1) Historicon nearing critical mass (jam in more guys with pipes and beards and the place collapses in on itself and forms a sun) and 2) the FoW nationals being hosted at Historicon as well.

Indeed... unless there is a problem with historical gamers not being able to get a table on historical game night at the shop because of non-historical gamers occupying them. Then I can understand but if tables a free - being used for any gaming is better than no gaming.

That's my opinion, too. And how hard is that to explain to someone coming through the store?

"Yeah, we have a dedicated historicals night where the historical guys get priority on the tables. But if there are open tables, we like to encourage games of any sort."

I think Reaper'll be happy to be in the present of gaming, much less the future. I see no Warlord in this part of the country in stores, except the times I set up and helped our local BL guy run some gaming events. It just hasn't taken the world by storm.

I respect Reaper as a models company, one of the best, but as a games company they've yet to win me over.

As for this LGS being too daft to understand how to try to accomodate people who want to come in their store and game in different genres, well common sense is in short supply it seems.

Is it possible that the big wig was there to feature the store in one of the HMGS magazines? Free advertising and the potential revenue are worth a few disgruntled but ultimately loyal customers. I could be wrong of course, I don't have all the facts.

Seems our (my) problem is the RTT, not Historicals. It just seems that every other weekend there's some GW tournament going on where they need to take up half the tables, if not all, in most of the LGS and if they're not actually using the empty tables, they have all their gear and stuff piled up on them.

GW strikes again.

If it's "Historical Night" either play that or play non-historicals somewhere else. If there is an open table and you take it and then someone turns up to play historicals, that person is going to be pissed. The LGS is in a tough situation and promoting certain games or certain genres on certain nights is a widely accepted practice. They need to make all types comfortable and some groups need more space and play differently. YOu would not want to roleplay at a table next to a Pokemon tournament, right? If you don't like the LGS' policy, then play at home and order online. Neal's gotta eat too and Reaper does mail order as well. :)

If it's "Historical Night" either play that or play non-historicals somewhere else. If there is an open table and you take it and then someone turns up to play historicals, that person is going to be pissed. The LGS is in a tough situation and promoting certain games or certain genres on certain nights is a widely accepted practice.

But it's the wrong attitude for a store to have when you're talking about empty tables. It is one thing to say "It's historical night, you can play something non-historical on this empty table, but if someone shows up to play something historical, you have to end your game and they get your table." It's a completely different thing to say "I'd rather see this table empty than have you play a non-historical game on it" which I beleive is the case the OP stated.

The local GW store has WFB and 40k nights. If there are empty tables, they have no problem with someone playing WFB on 40k night or vice versa. They will boot the "wrong" game in an instant though if someone shows up and wants to play the "correct" game. No one has any problems with that. But I'm sure they'd piss off a lot of otherwise good customers if they let tables sit empty rather than let people play the "wrong" game. In addition to that, it's better business sense to have all your tables running something whenever possible, because of the business it brings in.

If a store treated me like that, I would game elsewhere. I would also buy elsewhere. I'll also talk about said store, and how they treated me. In the big picture, offending one customer like me probably doesn't change things for the store. Do it too many times and/or to too many people, and your business suffers. Considering that in a situation like this, the store is probably upsetting at least 2 customers (because it takes at least 2 to play most games), and it can add up fast.

We all talk about 'taking our business elsewhere' but for most of us there isn't an 'elsewhere' to which to take our business. I'd rather talk about it with the existing store than not have a store at all.

I know I have some ideas to float by the new owner when it comes to gaming space for my local store. Let me hijack this thread and explain.

The old layout had all the gaming tables up front so all the games were visible when you came in the door.

The new layout has 2/3 the tables there and 1/3 in the middle of the store. The proposed layout has much gaming space in the basement as well.

Those 'front' tables are going to be the golden ones, since everyone coming into the store can watch the game. My proposal is to have that area be on a sign-up sheet so that there's some kind of rotation for it. Otherwise the same folks are going to camp there for their games. And if I'm going to be doing Warlord demos I don't want them in a corner of the basement.

The new owner is good about that kind of thing and welcomes input. Heck, somehow I got put in charge of paint night and I didn't even know it.